Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
ks114 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi all, I just bought a 1899 250-3000 TD from Gunbroker (299685974). The serial # is 235,XXX. My question pertains to the barrel length. It is 20". The Murray book says it should be 22". Do you think the barrel is original? There are no numbers underneath. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it crowned at the end?

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
K
ks114 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
The barrel is not crowned. It has a dovetail base front sight. The ivory dot(?) sight insert is held in with a screw. The sight has Patent info that I can't read.
The barrel address is style 4 in Murray's book.

The left side of the barrel is marked:
SAVAGE HI-PRESSURE STEEL
250-3000

It has the full thread on the barrel, not 1/4 off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suspect that barrel has been cut which likely explains why front sight wasn't shown clearly in the photos.
BillR

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow - they don't show the muzzle end of the barrel at all. I'm thinking it's cut and they knew it. Of course, they don't say it isn't cut - they state it is 20 inches.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was the measurement of 20" taken from the front or rear of the receiver ring?

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
K
ks114 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
From the rear of the ring. If it was cut, I would say it was fairly early in it's life. Live and learn

D
DGF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, if it shoots straight; you have a good shooter for the price.If it doesn't,lesson learned and get rid of it.Trouble is if ur an honest guy,you will have to tell the truth; and be lucky to get out of it even money.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
that's typical of how it is done today, that is a great lesson or two. Pawn shops sell sh...You probably will not make that mistake again.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by lauren
that's typical of how it is done today

Very true words. If you are selling, "it's the greatest thing since sliced bread". If you are buying, you point out every little flaw regardless of how ridiculous it may be. In my lifetime I have bought one and ONLY one rifle sight unseen. This happened ONLY after MUCH conversation both on the phone and over the internet. You learn NOT to trust anyone. Very sad, but that's the way it is. Two things you can MAKE say and show anything you want. Those two things are data and pictures. If you can't look at it and hold it FIRST don't buy it.............

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A lot of us have had success buying over the internet. I recall in the old days there was just The Shotgun News. There you had no pictures, someone's first name and a phone number. Then came Gun List - no leap forward there. When the internet came along the ability to post and receive digital pictures was quite a leap forward. Feedback helps a lot. I realize it's not perfect but in my mind, a new seller with no feedback is a very different proposition than someone with a few hundred pieces of feedback and has been around a long time. Take "Jackthedog" on auctionarms.com He sells a lot of guns on consignment and has a huge following. He is known for his honesty and integrity. He always posts a ton of very clear pictures and shows every angle/aspect of the gun. His descriptions are detailed and accurate. Nearly all of his auctions start at a penny with no reserve. Just not much to complain about with him. Lots of seller's fall far short in one or more areas. You don't have to buy from them either. With most sales there is the option of a return. If a seller is someone who won't return your money, that will be apparent from their feedback (which is why I often avoid new sellers with no feedback). So, yes, it can cost a few bucks to pay the shipping costs on a returned rifle but on the other hand, the cost of traveling to gunshows can be spendier. By the way, writing this takes me back over 35 years and the eagerness with which I would await the arrival of Shotgun News in the mailbox. I recall it was less than $20 a year but people would pay a couple hundred extra a year to get fast delivery. That was a lot of money back then but I recall pondering doing it on many occasions. Often there would be some spectacular deal and I would call immediately. Much of the time it was someone with fast delivery that snapped it up days earlier frown I'm sure a lot of guys recouped their fast delivery outlay several times over on just being the first on one gun. Just my thoughts and memories smile

K
ks114 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all your comments. I guess I was just too anxious to buy a 250-3000. The sellers feedback looked good, so I trusted him.
I should have researched the 20" vs 22" barrel question, but it honestly never occurred to me that it was altered. Like I stated, it appears to be an old alteration, and very well done.
Hopefully, it will be a good shooter.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This one is from the same seller:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=302290867

Notice the nice shots he shows of the muzzle and front sight on this one. He sure didn't do that on yours... confused As a generality, I am reluctant when it comes to pawnshops on the internet. I have had some deals work out just fine but I am extra cautious when it comes to the pawn guys. As I stated earlier, a lot of positive feedback is just one aspect to consider.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boltman, I also eagerly awaited Shotgun News - the best thing since sliced bread. Tells how old we are.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I loved the sgn too. started around 72-74.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Boltman, is right about "Jackthedog". I've acquired two firearms from them and they were exactly as advertised. Both have been good purchases.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
Boltman, I also eagerly awaited Shotgun News - the best thing since sliced bread. Tells how old we are.

Mike

Yep..also remember as a kid, eagerly waiting for my johnson&johnson catalog to arrive.
Every time I see your tag..."...library of knowledge..." I'm reminded of the movie "Blade Runner" and Rutger Hauer's soliloquy to Harrison Ford as he's deciding on whether to kill him...
Sad scene in a futuristic cult film... Nails your tag perfectly.

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
20" or 22" if you bought it as a shooter.. and it does.. Great! You got a good price. You should get that back

One tell was that not many bids were placed...
Bids by low feedback members... Though sometimes you can get an NR who joined just to get a particular rifle for himself or re-sale..

Buyer Beware..gotta do your homework!

There are a few ahole sellers on GunBroker... Overpriced weapons and [bleep] pictures are a good clue

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter

Mike

Yep..also remember as a kid, eagerly waiting for my johnson&johnson catalog to arrive.
Every time I see your tag..."...library of knowledge..." I'm reminded of the movie "Blade Runner" and Rutger Hauer's soliloquy to Harrison Ford as he's deciding on whether to kill him...
Sad scene in a futuristic cult film... Nails your tag perfectly.

Here's the quote by the Rutger Hauer character: "Roy Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (160user, 10Glocks, 3dtestify, AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 15 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,260
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.