-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If we could get Noz to make a Partition with a big deep boat tail, I'd be happier than a clam laugh But I guess that wouldn't really work...

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd like to see oddacious bullets that are analog aeroliths.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nosler Partition

Ditto

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
If we could get Noz to make a Partition with a big deep boat tail, I'd be happier than a clam laugh But I guess that wouldn't really work...

I'm no bullet engineer, but I suspect they'd have to redesign the whole bullet,across every caliber line.As one example,I don't know how an open boattail would work (one of the reasons Partitions shoot reasonably well for a hunting bullet is that the open base is obturated into the lands at high pressures);plus the bullet would have to be longer,making it necessary to reposition the Partition and redesign all the jacket tapers.

If they made the boattail solid, how would they get the Partition in there? That requires the bullet to be swaged open at both ends, I think.

In any even I doubt it would improve things much and we already have a bullet that does what a boattail Partition might do; it's called an Accubond. smile

Besides, it would be questionable to change a design that is a worldwide, proven performer and reliable killer of trophy class BG animals worldwide to make it fit the contemporary notions of what a bullet should be for banging gongs or culling does. We have enough bullets with the bells and whistles for that stuff.If they changed it materially,I'd run for a dose of a strong brown liquid and proclaim the complete collapse of the republic. cry

The Partition is not to be trifled with. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moral of the story: Don't [bleep] with the Partition laugh

I like what you said about the Accubond being a NPT with a boat tail, I think you're right on there.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
Moral of the story: Don't [bleep] with the Partition laugh

Tanner you are wise beyond your years. grin wink

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nosler Partition

Ditto

You dissin' the core lokt man???

Dude... postin' up pics of Win M70s then givin props to the NPT? You might be worth taking off ignore after all???

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started using Nosler Partitions when the came in a yellow and white box, and they looked like they'd been made by hand; the first animal I killed with one was a wooly mammoth. I can see no reason to quit a winner. Well OK maybe that first animal was a mule deer, but you get the point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd probably go Partition, since I've shot them into over big 100 game animals up to around 1500 pounds, including some generally considered dangerous, and never had any sort of failure, either to open or penetrate sufficiently. Have also been right beside my wife when she shot around 50 Partitions pile of animals up to around 800 pounds, and she never had a problem either.

The AccuBond (the boattailed, plastic-tiapped approximation of the Partition) has always worked well for me too, including on my one grizzly, though Nosler doesn't make it in any size larger than the 260-grain .375, which kinda limits it at the upper end.

I've also killed quite a few animals with today's other premium expanding bullets, including the Barnes TSX (both tipped and non), Hornady Interbond, North Fork, Norma Oryx, Nosler E-Tip, Remington Core-Lokt Ultrabonded, Speer DeepCurl and Grand Slam, Trophy Bonded Tipped, Winchester XP3 and maybe a couple others I've forgotten. Have also used some premiums that aren't made anymore, including the CT Fail Safe, CT Partition Gold, Speer Deep-Shok, and the original Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. Oh, and the original X-Bullet, both naked and the blue-coated XLC.

The only major problems encountered with any of these were a few failures to open with smaller TSX, though none with bigger bullets, and the failure to penetrate of an early Grand Slam. (The latest Grand Slams also haven't done very well in my media testing, so I haven't used them on game.) Some of the bullets didn't shoot all that accurately, either, and a few didn't kill all that quickly, due to the shape or size of the mushroom.

Unlike some I haven't experienced much trouble getting Partitions to shoot accurately, so for one all-around bullet they'd be it for me.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should add that if Barnes went out of business today, and I had no perfect bullet to choose from, and all I had left was partitions, I suspect I"d still have an awful good track record until I was no longer able to hunt.

That says a lot. Not the best BCs. Not the best penetration. Not the most accurate. But in the do all mode, probably very comparable to being called a Jeep.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my vote goes to the Nosler Partition. Of course there are other bullets, and very good ones too, they all are compared to the gold standard the Nosler Partition, for the last 65+ years. The only thing is the Partition you buy to day is the finest they have ever made. As for this Boat Tail business, I would sooner choose a round nose bullet. Now there something Nosler could do make Round Nose Partitions, what for I don't know, its just an internet suggestion so it don't cost anything!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The best all around bullet, is the one through both lungs.......

and before you ask...... yes, I would hunt dangerous game using a bullet through both lungs......

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
In truth I think there are other bullets today that would do an equally good job on many types of game,so there are lots of good choices...it isn't like it was even in the 80's when the only thing you could get was a Partition.

But that does not change the fact that they are still(as Rost says)the "Jeep". grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 15 or so Nosler Partition I have recovered from deer and elk, but I don't know how to post photos. If someone wants to do it for me I'll email photo from my iPhone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Originally Posted by johnw

1] as for reliability, they all come out of the barrel when fired, so EQUAL...

So will a marble...

Reliability is usually determined after the bullet strikes something...a piece of curtain rod will come out of a barrel If you stick enough powder behind it.

You would hunt dangerous game with a Ballistic Tip?

you listed penetration and expansion as #3 on your list... those are the categories most are concerned with after a bullet's impact.

I have never, and likely will never hunt anything considered dangerous game.
which DG hunts are you planning?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the point is, which bullet would you bet your life on, to perform reliably every single time no matter the target. As I answered before, the easy choice for me is the partition.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
T
[/quote]I'd follow Bob Hagel's advice and shoot any bear from a safe distance[/quote]

... where's the fun in that??

With a Nosler Partition and a Woodleigh solid, you'd be good to go for any animal on the planet.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
NP...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I've also killed quite a few animals with today's other premium expanding bullets, including the Barnes TSX (both tipped and non), Hornady Interbond, North Fork, Norma Oryx, Nosler E-Tip, Remington Core-Lokt Ultrabonded, Speer DeepCurl and Grand Slam, Trophy Bonded Tipped, Winchester XP3 and maybe a couple others I've forgotten.

Mule Deer,

Would really like to hear about your on game experience with the Deep Curl bullets.

and do you know why some bullet diameters (such as .257) are only sold with a boron nitride coating?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Let's have some fun.

What do you guys think the best all around bullet ever made is...based on the following criteria -

Must be used on Thin skinned, as well as dangerous game. No specializing.

1. Reliability
2. Integrity
3. Penetration & Expansion
4. Accuracy

My vote goes to the Nosler Partition, but I've never hunted animals over 500 lbs.

What do you guys think?

Partition. It's the High Water Mark still.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (2ndwind, 41rem, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,011
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.