Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have had one Simmons scope and one Simmons binocular in which the lenses became loose under normal careful use, no hard use or abuse. A buddy had the same experience with a Simmons scope. Thats all I can tell you about Simmons other than I'll never buy another one.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Previous Simmons scopes were not known to be of great quality, and when you bought one, you figured on replacing it in a couple years. The new one are suppose to be the greatest thing since "Pockets On A Shirt". The problem is we don't know which one this retailer has. 'Buyer Beware' and "Ya Get What Ya Pay For" come to mind--Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can score a VXII 3-9 for $269 new and less than that often times used on ebay. With the warranty they have I could never understand anything else if you are on a budget. I bought a Simmons one time for a .22 and after the first day decided...never again. I agree with Buzz, cut out the fat somewhere else if you are on a budget, but dont skimp on your optics.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
simmons makes good scopes, they also make very good scopes. in the past they have made poor scopes. i have been using two simmons scopes for years, one a prohunter, the other a whitetail classic. both good scopes.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It seems to me that since Simmons makes scopes in a lot of different price ranges, it's probably tough to make a blanket statement that *all* their scopes are good or bad.

I own a few of their newer scopes and I'm pleased with them; for example, the ATV can be had on sale for ~$75 or so, and they've gotten a lot of good comments from people who've actually used them (including me).

Also, the Whitetail Expedition scopes were (I think) the precursors to the AETEC line, which has received a lot of very positive comments from users.

My personal experience with Simmons is very positive, but I haven't used them for years and years, nor have I subjected them to rough treatment.

Let's face it, a lot of people are buying low-end scopes. I pretty much figure that how someone spends his own money is none of my business.

For a guy who's only got $75-100 (or isn't willing to spend more), he could do a lot worse than to buy a newer Simmons.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've had an Aetec 2.8X10 on my 257 AI for years and it's a great scope. It's killed everything from rattle snakes at 4 feet to antelope at over 400 yards. I also have an 8PT on my 222 and while I haven't shot it much I have no complaints about what I have experienced so far. I also have a friend that has one on her 270 and she's used it for quite a few years to kill deer, elk, antelope and coyotes. I guess that we were just lucky because I wouldn't take a Leupold for my Aetec.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Jon Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I had a Simmons ProHunter 3-9x I purchased in 1991 for $90, and it served me very well doing duty on three different rifles. One day in 2003 I was exchanging the mounts and rings (from a cheap Aimpoint to a Weaver system), and I droped the scope on the floor, I cringed, it was toast. I sent it to Simmons and they replaced it with a newer made ProHunter, it was NOTHING like my old one. The new one was China grade crapola, the old one was a solid scope.

I also had an Aetec I purchased in 1999 (4-12x) that was a great scope, but not suitable for the late hunts we do in Germany, so I gave it to a friend in Oklahoma who needed a scope. But for daylight work it served me well here on my '06.

But until you can get a Meade made Simmons, I wouldn't mess with them.........................Jon

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a 2.5x10x50 pro simmons on my 7mag . its held up well. i also have many fiends that have aetec scopes ,never heard them complain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned three Simmons scopes, including their best/most expensive, and all three packed it in after only a brief stint on hunting rifles.

Have had plenty of opportunities to buy Simmons again, often at very attractive prices, and always turned them down.

Sorry, but it will take a lot more than Meade owning them to convince me.

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new Meade/Simmons Master Series is still just a rumor. I called SWFA and even they admit they have no idea when they will be released. Great way to start....

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought one yesterday so they aren't quite a rumor.

Last edited by kcm270; 01/08/06.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gary,

This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe the reason big optics outfits like SWFA aren't handling the new Simmons line is because of the price competition with their other products. Mail order sporting goods dealers like Midsouth Shooters Supplies and Midway have them. I got mine from Midsouth. Discount stores like Walmart sell the lower end versions.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the clarification. I hope you are happy with your scope...
I was referring to the side focus models, sorry
gary

Last edited by Gary O; 01/08/06.

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My 2.8-10 Aetec is holding up OK on my 223. It's seen around 1500 rounds so far I'd guess and hasn't been treated nice. It works fine for what it's doing but I really wish I'd held out for a used, higher end scope for the same money. I've seen these for under $100 bucks several times and it's be hard to beat for that money I will admit. I'll also admit that saying that ain't much of a compliment.

I have a 4-14 (i think) Banner AO that I can't stand and a 2-7 of some flavor that isn't any better. Again, money I wish I had back.

If I had what I paid new for these three I could have one nice NEW scope, or maybe a pair of nice USED scopes. Instead I have gear that's OK as best and worthless at worst.

Lessons learned.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Can't speak to Simmons- never owned one. I have used Tasco's quite a lot, which are a similarily priced sister line. Both lines have a variety of closely matching price ranges.

In Tasco, I would never buy anything less expensive than a World Class. From there on up, they work and hold up well. Below that, they do not. I have had a 3.5X10 World Class Plus on my .338 Mag for 10 years now. It has survived bumpy snowmachine rides virtually unprotected across North Slope caribou grounds, a horseback elk hunt into the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, and a 30 foot fall out of a tree stand about 6 years ago, which ripped it right off my Ruger 77 by it's mounts. Straightened and filed theburrs off the mounts and integral receiver bases, slapped it back on, resighted it, and it's been doing fine ever since. Last group I shot a couple months ago was under 1.5 inches with some "junk loads" using Hornadfy 250 grain round noses that I'd thrown together, 5 shots at 100 yards. No flies on that.

Bang it around hard enough, and it will loose its zero, as it did after a particularily rough snowmachine ride with a couple wrecks, and the fall from the tree, but it kept (to date) it's structural integrety. I paid just under $150 for it, including postage, on closeout from one of the shooting supply places - Greens, Bill Hicks - someone- that I was getting fliers from during my 'smithing days.

It isn't a Leupy III, but it beats my Leupy II 2X7 all hollow in poor light, tho it is a bit overscope for shooting moose at under 100 yards, I must admit!

If you stick to the upper end of the price range ( say above $90 or so) on newly manufactured Simmons or Tasco, you will probably be all right with half-way decent treatment. Same outfit owns them, owns Weaver, I believe, as well as several other name-brand companies.

When I first came to Alaska in 1968 I had 3 Redfields fog (hell, there was WATER in those things!) on me in less than a year. Never did and never will buy another, despite vastly improved construction and quality control since. Bought that Leupy 2X7 then and still have it.

If money was no object, or less of one, OF COURSE I'd by $1000 and up optics! An inexpensive (relatively speaking) ho-hum factory grade gun that shoots well is just as deadly as one costing many thousands, at all practical ranges. But if you can't see them, you can't shoot them, so lean as heavy toward the best optics you can afford. and maybe cheat a little at that!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
All new Simmons scopes are manufactured by Meade with thier lenses. The redesign of the internals will revolutionize the industry. Read the article in the American Rifleman Dec 2005 issue for details on the new construction. All packaging has a sticker saying it is the new technology. I bought one and the lenses and construction is first rate. (blazer model, 3-9). I say this as an engineer and thier new design makes a lot of sense to me. And, yoiu dont have to take out a second mortgage to buy one.

Life is short,paddle hard.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I refuse to spend luppy money on a product that has failed me several times when neither of my simmons scopes have ever had a single problem. They are in fact less expensive scopes and if you buy a 29.00 3x9-40 expect that level of performance, But spend 100-150 and get a good product for a great price and not have to pay extra a name. Just my opinion from my experiences. I am sour on leupold because of my experiences and wont own another one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35, anothergun, Armednfree, Angus1895, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 14 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,028
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.