Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a 1939 8mm Turk Mauser with Gew98 action. Finally decided to take it to the range yesterday and ran 15 rounds through it. Cleaned the bore with Windex because it was old corrosive mil ammo. Followed that with Hoppe's #9 and give it a rest over night.

Today I run a clean patch and it comes out brown and green. Scrubbed it again with Birchwood Case bore scrubber this morning. And again this afternoon. This thing isn't getting any cleaner. It's getting dirtier! It is the dirtiest barrel I've ever seen.

Got any good home brew cleaning methods that won't wear out my arm and cleaning rods?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Plinker; 08/24/12. Reason: typo

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Plinker
I got a 1939 8mm Turk Mauser with Gew98 action. Finally decided to take it to the range yesterday and ran 15 rounds through it. Cleaned the bore with Windex because it was old corrosive mil ammo. Followed that with Hoppe's #9 and give it a rest over night.

Today I run a clean patch and it comes out brown and green. Scrubbed it again with Birchwood Case bore scrubber this morning. And again this afternoon. This thing isn't getting any cleaner. It's getting dirtier! It is the dirtiest barrel I've ever seen.

Got and good home brew cleaning methods that won't wear out my arm and cleaning rods?

[Linked Image]
Shooter's Choice Bore Clearer is the strongest bore cleaner I've ever come across. With the muzzle side tilted down, put a thoroughly soaked patch of it through from the chamber end, and just let it soak for twenty minutes. Then scrub it, then patches. Repeat as needed.

Neat old Mauser.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plug the barrel and fill it up with [b][color:#3333FF]Wipeout..[/color][/b] Let it sit over night. Then brush and patch.

I tried [b][color:#3333FF]Home Electrolysis[/color][/b] with an old Mosin, it got out some nasty junk, but still has a "dark" bore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of elbow grease and copious quantities of any brand of GOOD bore cleaner, it probably has YEARS of copper fouling (the green) along with burnt corrosive powder and even some rust & Cosmoline.

Looked at a Spanish Mauser just today that was really dark & murky, it is now soaking in the tank at the shop in a combo of mineral oil & liquid wrench, will turn the ultrasonics on tomorrow then it will get the bronze brush scrub a dub dub.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tetragun bore solvent has worked for me. Heavy ammonia smell and it eats copper, plastic and stuff. Keep it off the bluing so far as you can. Soak overnight. Wet brush. Wet patch. Dry patches. You might be brushing and patching for a bit. May need to soak more than one night. You'll need new brushes after you're done.

I haven't tried Wipeout so I don't know about it. The Tetragun got some crud out of a barrel that other stuff wouldn't. I wasn't a one shot wonder, but it got the job done.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For that filthy job...just use JB bore paste from Sinclairs.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART
For that filthy job...just use JB bore paste from Sinclairs.

Beat me to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to work at a gun shop and I cleaned every gun that came in the door. I used Sweets 7.62. It's really powerful. You can plug a barrel and leave it in for a short while, but I just soaked the barrel with wet patches and let it sit. Follow with patches until everything comes out. It will!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
or kroil oil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rusteprufe Nitro Solvent should be more readily available.
Reminds me, I need to order some more... frown

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kroil, then wipeout. After that, if it shoots OK don't worry about it, just CHOOT it! Keep a thin layer of light oil in the bore at all times after that at all times to keeep it form getting worse. If you are desparate, you could try some JB or other bore paste butI would not expend that much effort or worry over it.

This rifle was never going to be a varmint rifle or a beauty queen even when it was new in the wrapper. Rifling was barely more than an afterthought. Going bang and knocking over milk cartons at 100 yards are about all that can be asked, or that should be anyway.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS a Hoppe's Bore snake is your freind, with the KROIL and WIPE OUT. My gn room is layered in bore snakes of all sizes and varying degrees of decay and neglect smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After you get done applying your 3 tons of elbow grease and solvents,

Slug the barrel

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Now that you have a few layers of filth out of it, I'd run a Kroil soaked patch down it every day for a week, or two. That stuff creeps under crud better than anything I've ever seen. Then hit it with Sweets 7.62 to attack remaining copper.

Maybe a final workout session with JB Paste, another Kroil round, then oil 'er up. I doubt that anything but severe elbow grease & lots of brushing/patches will reveal the true state of that cobby bore.

When you get through the rest of the layers, the bore may be very rough from corrosive ammo & lack of cleaning. (Then, shoot the heck out of it & never clean it again.. cool)

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FWIW, I would perform one of the thorough, overnight cleaning methods described by other posters, and then never worry about getting it "clean" again.

The bores in these old rifles are just too rough even when they are in good shape to ever come out clean. Clean it as thoroughly as you can, then fire 50 rounds of old milsurp ammo through it and clean it again. You'll think you're starting over from square one again!

44henry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Brasso on a nylon bristle brush. Then clean it out with some spray carb cleaner. Repeat as needed. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like I'm going shopping for bore cleaners today. It was only a $50 rifle. I may end up with more than that invested in cleaning supplies!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Since I haven't seen it mentioned, I'd plug the barrel & fill it up with WD-40 & let it sit overnight then go from there...I was skeptical about the WD-40 thing until I tried it on a really dirty bore that didn't seem to want to come clean with any of the other "traditional methods"...it's one of a few little tips I learned on RFC...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
fill it with water and a little dish soap, turn it on low heat, put the lid on and leave it overnight.

wait, wrong thread grin

Has anybody mentioned the ear plug thing yet? Roll up an ear plug and stick in the muzzle, fill it with bore cleaner from the other end and let it sit a while?

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have an ex son in law, still friends, who has a couple of those turk rifles. After a number of years, it is STILL leaching out cosmoline out of the wood every time we take in out here in arizona. As to the bore, he borrowed by home made electrical device and let that go at it for a couple of days. Looked like a sewer. Try father Frogs website for building one, pretty simple and pretty simple chemical solution to make up for the process, using partially white vinegar if i remember right.
Ammot at the time, turkish, was something like 1200rounds for 70 bucks. The rifle shoots a lot better than you think.
It is consistly minute of man at 100 yards.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.