-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
silnylon for me, it's small enough and light weight enough I carry in my day pack just in case.

Last edited by southwind; 08/23/12.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by snubbie
Originally Posted by brymoore
I'm doing the math on packing in 4 or 5 miles and hunting a mile or two from camp. If you kill a bull a mile or two from camp, you'll pack meat 5 to 7 miles each trip. A bull will likely take three trips, add camp, and you're packing for 3 to 4 days.

Good luck.

I have a mulie tag and a wolf tag, no elk tag. Don't think I would tackle a solo backpack elk hunt for the reason you mention.

Nevermind. I had elk on my mind. Buy another wolf tag or four.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is the setup with a tarp I like..

Attached Images
tarp.jpg (9.12 KB, 342 downloads)

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another view

Attached Images
tarp2.jpg (8.25 KB, 341 downloads)
Last edited by nclonghunter; 08/23/12.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a mulie tag and a wolf tag, no elk tag. Don't think I would tackle a solo backpack elk hunt for the reason you mention.
I've seen bear where you're going, too, although in Idaho, non residents can use their deer tag on a bear.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've seen bear where you're going, too, although in Idaho, non residents can use their deer tag on a bear.

I'd have no problem using that mulie tag on a bear! grin

edit: I'm still working out the logistics of getting a cooler of mulie meat back to NC. The bear meat I could drop off at your place if you want! wink

Last edited by snubbie; 08/24/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A cooler full of ice should work fine for the drive to NC.

What part of the state are you hunting?

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brymoore
A cooler full of ice should work fine for the drive to NC.

What part of the state are you hunting?

I'm flying. I could do fine with it in a cooler with dry ice and this is airline legal...but not cheap by a long shot. It's just a matter of getting it out of the woods, cooled and packed. I'd like to find a local meat processor that could cut, wrap, freeze and have it ready to go.

It may all be irrelevant as I'm hunting an area I've never been with no chance to pre-scout, so it's a low percentage hunt. But I need to be prepared in case I get lucky.

I'm probably hunting unit 48

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck. I find the last week of season to be the best out here. The deer are starting to migrate and are thinking about does.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Instead of a tarp consider lightweight windshirts with some water repellant. Patagonia Houdini is very popular with backpackinglight members and highly rated by anyone I've ever known. My XXL weighs in @ under 4oz. They are not water proof but will not wet out in anything less than a complete downpour and even then it takes some time (over 30 mins), so just be in the trees or moving back to camp. It doubles to help keep you warm on a cool day, or windy day. I can stay warm in my Houdini w/a 5oz Montbell down vest over a lightweight wool shirt down to just above freezing while backpacking (moving).

A tarp is not very multi-purpose if you already have a shelter, IMO. You can optionally add some windpants (GoLite has some on sale now) for an additional 6oz and have a pretty much waterproof suit for 10oz that can also be worn as needed depending on weather conditions.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have some home made tarps and love having one along. Well worth the ~11oz.
[Linked Image]

Ahh, nice marmot
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 49 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,490
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.