Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Casey,

I have even heard people from further east call quakies "poplars"--which of course they are, technically, but geez....

I've heard Minnesotan's call them birch.

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Birch and aspens or quakies are very similar. I think birch trees have a bit different leaf on them, but yeah, they look similar. I call em aspens when out west. I am not a city boy. If someone says quakies, I still know what they're talking about.
City folk call them pretty trees with white bark and pretty little yellow leaves.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have heard wallows referred to as wallers.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're never alone creeping thru a stand of quakies.........there are eyes everywhere.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I'm going to be up in the "Chutes" or work the "Chutes" Avalanche chutes
If I bail off into dark timber to a specific contour line or elevation and stay on that line while still hunting, I'm Coon'n

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"Where ya puttin' in" ...

"Smells like sex" ...

"Love mud" ...

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hmmm. I was told a tinaja was a tank in spanish. In the desert, they have been known to hold hundreds, even thousands of gallons of water for months.
That's if the Desert Canary or Mojave Moose don't get into them. That's burro to everybody else.
Then there are the washes or dry river bottoms, some of them over a 1/2 mile wide in places.
Between them, we have Malapais, or rough, bad country flats usually covered with rocks.
All of this to find Venado or Burra, known as Mule Deer to us. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Hmmm. I was told a tinaja was a tank in spanish. In the desert, they have been known to hold hundreds, even thousands of gallons of water for months.
That's if the Desert Canary or Mojave Moose don't get into them. That's burro to everybody else.
Then there are the washes or dry river bottoms, some of them over a 1/2 mile wide in places.
Between them, we have Malapais, or rough, bad country flats usually covered with rocks.
All of this to find Venado or Burra, known as Mule Deer to us. E

Tinajas are not that big here, usually a gallon or two, but still important sources of water.
Two Spanish definitions are earthenware jar or depression carved out of bedrock containing water.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Damn *&#$^&!" Means there's yet another really steep section to climb. By day three it is usually followed by a long sigh...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump

IC B3

C
C
Let's re-cap....class, follow along:

Get/got/are about to get/are already western:

Cowboy-up

Rodeo

These are important sequences of events. Things can "get western," without requiring anyone to "cowboy-up." One may also, "cowboy-up" prior to things "getting western," in an attempt to alleviate some of the potential shenanigans. However, one may also "cowboy up" after things have already "got western", and generally just before things become a "rodeo" (syn. goat-rope, herdin' cats, etc).

Now, things cannot and shall not advance straight to "rodeo," without either having "got a little western" and/or requiring someone to "cowboy-up." This is not a proper sequence of events, and should be avoided at all costs, lest you be totally unprepared for the calamity awaiting.

Some common phrases used in my camp that could be a premptive indication of "getting western," the need to "cowboy-up" or becoming a complete "rodeo" are as follows:
- "Pull your hat down"
- "Tighten up those spurs"
- "Might want to get that copenhagen started now"

Finally, a new term not yet introduced in this post. Trail-shortener. "Trail shortener" is absolutely REQUIRED after things have either "got western" or turned into a full-blown "rodeo."

"Trail shortener" should be used sparingly, whilst you return to camp, with your tail between your legs.....or in victory after having been the star cowboy in the rodeo, and having successfully "rode the full 8."

The end.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Chetaf

We generally only bust out the "F---KING NONRESIDENT" if you have Texas or California license plates. grin

Chet

LOL. Well at least you got that part right but I am sure you meant to say...... KING NONRESIDENT.

I will even admit to being a redneck, in the Jeff Foxworthy sense, but my Pappy taught me to respect animals and people, clean up after youself, and leave a gate like you found it. The other kind of redneck can be found in every state. Even Denverites are nonresidents in Durango.

All kidding aside, I sure am gland you allow us "whatever" nonresidents to come enjoy the mountains. Not sure if I could make it through the rest of the year if I didn't!

To the question at hand:

Thermals: Couple of people touched on this, but basically means warm air rises and cool air descends. Normally rises in the morning and moves down in the evening. However, it doesn't work that way in real life. The other side of that is that when you get almost in shooting range a couple of other terms kick in: Felt the "breeze on the back of my neck" and he "blew out" of there!

Shooting the bull: Refers to the stories and laughs shared over the campfire before and after the hunt. 49% of the fun in my book.

Parks and meadows: Not sure why, but I generally refer to meadows down low and parks up high. For example, you look up on the mountain and see an opening in the black timber: that is a park. An opening down low in the oakbrush next to a creek is a meadow.

To each his own, but for us all: Never let the moutain beat you!

Venor ergo sum
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.