Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How's the weather shaping up for beginning elk hunting in Colorado this year?

Last couple years have been extremely hot. Would like to see some cooler weather early in the season.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if it's cool ya want, come later....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of hoping for hot and dry. Have a couple of water holes I plan on working for a bruin in Sept.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So far it's been above average in temps. Forcast shows very little change. Rain has been nonexistenat.We have had two rains all summer where I live. I was down in the Gunnison area ( 54)this week and it was dry down there.It is little better in the high country.

Forcasters claim this drought will last at least until late October.
From all the fires burning in the west at present, smoke is terrible in the mountains as it lays in thevalleys.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It has been hot and dry. My archery area near Colbran, Colorado has still been in the 80's during the day and in the 50's at night. I would like to see much cooler temps come Archery season.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wet and cool at 12,000ft in my area.

At 8500ft it's so dry you couldn't track an elephant.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The elk can't move up any higher than the mountains they live on. Were we hunt that means about 10K'.

Hopefully the weather will change, though. I don't mind dry nearly as much as hot but a few inches of fresh snow is even better.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll stay around 11,000ft-12,000ft this year for the whole hunt.

Too dry and crunchy for still hunting at lower levels.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spent a 3 day up near Rabbit Ears, greened up fairly well.

Talked to a rancher that was pushing cattle through the area I camped. The rancher mentioned getting 5" of rain all July. 5" is a considerable amount.

One night it did get what I will call cold, frost formed on a cooler-lid. Not that is an accurate indication, still cold. But removed the stupid I felt for bringing a wood stove. A wood stove came in handy, that is the earliest I have ever wanted a fire at night.

Nights are getting cooler on the flat-land as well. Wind from the west off the mountains at night feels real well, I am starting to use a blanket at 6500' , fall will get here!

As I type this, 9:30 am , long sleeves or a light jacket feels good here just above Golden.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
huntsman; I guess you hunt when the season is set for what you want to do. I personally want to bow hunt, but must tolerate the hot weather since it begins and ends early.

Sounds like it is overall pretty dry with some variance in temps.

Just have to keep my fingers crossed for some early cool weather. I like it when you can see your breath in the morning and cold ears, then warms to a light jacket by noon...

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Get high. I'm in ML season, so you can actually hunt later than me.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Its been real dry on the front range; I'll be heading up around the continental divide next weekend to see if I can find an animal. Overall, the weather has been average temp wise. Maybe a little cooler than the last 3 years.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Uncompahgre got a good bit of rain the last two days.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very wet where I hunt in Mid Nov. North Of Kremmling, Was up there toward the end of July. Got dumped on, it looked like spring.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've been getting a good amount of moisture where I'm at (2 hrs West of Denver). Things have been off and on all summer long moisture wise, with a few total gully washers here and there. Wish I wasn't missing opening archery weekend!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Working my summer job I have lots of time to scout the Sangre de Cristo mtns.
Creeks that normally drain onto the floor of the San Luis Valley are dry. I've got to hike a mile up before I find water in most of those creek beds. I guess about 9500ft or so I start finding water. Depends a lot on how big the creek was to begin with.

Just lately the weather is changing. Frequent rain showers over the last 10 to 14 days and significant rain over the past 24 hours. Cooler temps recently too.

A local bowhunter tells me a similar situation really messed up the rut last year. Drought broke after the rut began and some bulls went back to feeding.

Last edited by Alamosa; 08/24/12.
C
C
Originally Posted by taz4570
Very wet where I hunt in Mid Nov. North Of Kremmling, Was up there toward the end of July. Got dumped on, it looked like spring.

+1. Things were pretty dismal in early summer, but the last few weeks we've got a fair bit of moisture and we made the same comment. It looked like May in early August.

Nights are getting cooler and first slight change of color is happening in the oak brush up high.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
August 17-18 and 19 I went with a fellow hunter that drew an archery tag in area 201 ( 17 point to draw that tag ). Conditions were very dry but all of the springs were still running and the retention ponds still had standing water. We did see three nice bulls on Cold Spring Mountain but nothing on Middle or Diamond.
We encountered two archery antelope hunters that were admiring a kill from a blind at a water hole. Archery elk in that area opened yesterday and I hope my friend scores a 380 or better bull.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not likely in 201.......

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
not likely in 201.......

Yep, I hunted it in rifle seaosn in 2009 after 20 yr wait.The bigger bulls just are not there any more.I had to really work to get one and my measurement showed 343,but it was rough.

Might look in the head of Beaver Creek, west of Middle Mountain.Seemed to be more elk hanging out there, and also the Wiggins Unit right on the Utah line.

Right on Cold Springs Mt would be tough archery wise as it is so open.

If so,concentrate on the north side,BLM land next to private,or east end near Elk Springs.

Southeast of Cold Spring Tank,there is a two track that goes east a little ways, and then down a draw.There is a dirt tank at the end of the two track and a small ridge to the north.The trees on the south side of that ridge afford great cover an I saw some bulls working there. I would not bother with Little Joe Basin area.

That area is checker bordered with BLM, State, and private alnd. If you go to this website,you can get GPS coordinates for all the corners of BLM land.Very helpful.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/lsfo/information/coordinates.html

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/26/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,882
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.