Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sam,

I might have missed the top in corn, but it might have one more run. I hear all the corn farmers are buying puts, but they're always wrong, aren't they?
I don't have a strong feeling for wheat, but I know you'll never take a loss if you sell at a profit.
Good luck picking a top.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, those starters are heavy! Always nice to get the top bolt in so it holds 'em.

I edited the earlier post, Westfield auger my dad bought from Zerbes out of Glasgow.

Ok, yeah they are nuts! Lots of water and a hot Summer.

Cross, I believe that well is 1000' deep. There was 37 sections of pipe when we put it back down. Pic was part way through the process.

I know zero about running that old pulling rig but it is a cool old machine. Wisconsin engine, Do All(?) gear box, ranch foreman bought it down in Wyoming for $500 I think. He replaced the cable and got the engine running. Spooky when it starts creaking under all that weight!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks Randy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yikes! we had a well truck that ran everything, man what a relief that was!
been a dry summer but all our fields look pretty good, I've heard a lot of compliments from our clients. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post em. wouldn't believe there is a drought going on in the fields. rangeland is another story. thanks for posting Sam.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That pic is going on FILE,....

37 sticks of 2 1/4" is a fairly HEAVY string, looks like that beast is built RIGHT.

Thanks, Sam

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The scale of everything in those scenes makes a guy smile. Nice pics!

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Johnny, it really is a whole other world from how they do it farther west!

Thanks Bear, one of these days I would like to get a better camera but damn they are expensive for bouncning around in a pickup!

ID, yeah, I talk to the dogs. Conversation really gets good after 5 or 6 beers.....grin
Damn those cell phones but they can be handier than hell when you have a signal.
It is still really weird talking on a phone while gathering cows horseback though. I will never get use to that.

Griz, hard not to get greedy when it keeps going up!
My old man still has a little wheat leftover from last year to sell. Maybe it'll go up a little but chances are it might not...grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Griz, hard not to get greedy when it keeps going up!
My old man still has a little wheat leftover from last year to sell. Maybe it'll go up a little but chances are it might not...grin

Amen, brother.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sam, I just wish I got to do a bit of farming - we haven't had enough water for more than A partial cutting in several years. Now that all my nephews are out of the house - I expect my brother'll get it done with his 11 year old daughter, if things don't change!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Colorado, that beer deal sounds like a plan. I've had a beer or two with Rancho and would like to have one with the rest of you guys!

Cross, I'm not sure but got to thinking that the entire works is held by the bolt that runs through the pulley on the top of the boom. If that bastard got wore and snapped, lookout!
Of course it must have a bushing or sleeve but [bleep] you wouldn't want to be under that thing with a full load of pipe hanging if it ever broke.

Sandcritter, some of the farmers out here are really cutting the wheat. My buddy and his dad(and their crew, 4-5 guys) will cut around 10,000 acres of wheat this Summer, some lease land but they also seed alot of their own. Took 3-4 days to cut our crop, gonna take them 3-4 weeks!

Cows are our main deal, my dad hates to sit in a tractor or swather.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what my cash crops look like. I'm slowly converting from 90% loblloly to eventually about 75% longleaf and 25% loblolly/shortleaf.

[Linked Image]

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Griz, $10/bushel and a guy better be selling some quick!

Probably hang around $7-8 for the rest of the year.

Mark, that is rough. My brother has been going to UNLV for the last few years and said it is a very harsh climate when it comes to rain or the lack of it.
You guys go for months at a time with zero precip?

Nathan, that is pretty neat! Like Rancho mentioned earlier we have a pretty diverse ag base in our Country!

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/27/12.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sweet pics Sam! Don't run over any birds.

GFY.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hope everybody doesn't head for the exit at the same time. smile
For ten bucks, let 'er rip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Griz, $10/bushel and a guy better be selling some quick!

Probably hang around $7-8 for the rest of the year.

Mark, that is rough. My brother has been going to UNLV for the last few years and said it is a very harsh climate when it comes to rain or the lack of it.

Nathan, that is pretty neat! Like Rancho mentioned earlier we have a pretty diverse ag base in our Country!
You guys go for months at a time with zero precip?

No. In East, TX we get about 55-65" of rain per year with the wettest months being in the late winter/spring but never no precipitation unless it's a major drought like last year.

Just west of here - only about 1-1/2 hours away is the 35" rain line which pretty much coincides with I-35 which is pretty handy to remember. Right around there you stop growing trees. We are the very extreme western edge of southern yellow pine range.

I get to play with some fun toys from time to time like skidders and of course getting to burn can be a lot of fun as well. We've been playing around with different burn schedules at different times of the year to help the quail and turkeys. We just came out of a eastern wild turkey restoration project that lasted about 15 years. We're up to about 5-10 turkeys per year being killed in my county.....got a lot of room to go. We're fixing to start a black bear reintroduction program but it's very early on in that process. I've got my name in the hat as I have a chunk of land that met the requirements.

Last edited by NathanL; 08/27/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T'Flave, you know I'm a smooth operator!

Griz, we'll wait and see!

Nathan, I had beer fingers and got my typing mixed up. See edit above, I was refering to Mark in NV. Interesting about the trees though, that is Greek to me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T'Flave, you know I'm a smooth operator!

Griz, we'll wait and see!

Nathan, I had beer fingers and got my typing mixed up. See edit above, I was refering to Mark in NV. Interesting about the trees though, that is Greek to me!

Same for growing wheat to me lol. It's just like farming I guess, we just plant and harvest 20-40 years apart.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cigar tobacco operation in Ecuador (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that is interesting!

Healthy looking crop and I don't see a weed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Now, dat is fascinating.

Nice pics Sam.

Sam, what are folks givin for alfalfa hay around the Point?

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Way, way cool. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 49 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,724
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.