Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents:

My 1995 Dodge Cummins huntmobile is still going after 290k but the body & interior are shot and it is pretty much relegated to firewood duties. I'd like a presentable ride that does double duty off-road and getting there along the interstate. Am gonna go with the SUV type rather than a pickup this time around.

Tried my wife's ex-CRV (not ex-wife, ex-CRV)for one fall and by the time December rolled around was forever cured and had picked up on trade a lower mileage 2006 4Runner SR5 as an in-between...

Next year I'd like to sell the Runner for a new or newish ride. They put enough salt down on Michigan roads (winter and summer) for rust to be the ultimate vehicle killer, so I like to start new(ish) and then run them to death.

I go out of state enough to put on 30k or so a year and want an engine that will go 300k and get 20mph. The 2006 Runner turns 20mph no problem as did the Dodge on the interstate.

It has come down to 4Runner or Wrangler--what do you say? The Jeep is tempting but I wonder about the longevity and reliability. Is engine life/reliability akin to the Yota?

Defend the Constitution
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nobody has proven it yet, but they should be at least pretty close as to engine life.
I've been looking as well. I looked at and drove a Toy Tacoma 4 dr. and their heavy duty SUV, whose name I can't recall. Not the 4Runner. Spent a week in a Kawai down pour driving a 12 Wrangler.
The things I didn't like are the Toy's lack of visiability vs. the Wrangler. That and the Wrangler can really be opened up in nice weather. More engine power and, in the Rubicon model, more, to alot more, off road capability.
So, I'm looking to buy a 4 dr. Rubicon. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 08/18/12.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
IMO, it would depend on what you value the most. If you want off road capability, then the Wrangler wins hands down. On the other hand, the 4 Runner is more comfortable(IMO) and is proven reliable.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 08/18/12.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Putting 30K a year on it, then the four runner no question. I don't trust a jeep to have nearly the longevity of a toyota, that coming from a guy that currently owns both brands. Also, I wouldn't want to ride in a wrangler that much, the four runner's bound to be a better ride.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For double duty, especially when one job is to serve as a hunting rig, I would go with a Tacoma crew cab 4x4. My 2005 has a little over 210 K on the odometer. Each fall, I pull a double axle flat bed trailer with a Ranger on board up to northwestern Colorado and back, and pull the same rig around here for deer and pronghorns. Like you, we put about 30,000 miles a year on our each of our vehicles. The Tacoma should give you 20+ mpg with no problems and it is a more versatile vehicle than the 4Runner. I doubt that the Wrangler will give you anywhere close to 300K miles...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This was my solution. With a shell over the bed you end up with a SUV, but at considerable less expense. Plus without it you have a small pickup with proven relaibility. My 07 has 108,000 miles and I've replaced the front brakes, and changed the oil regularly. Stricty on the interstate, and keeping it under 75 or so 20mpg is possible, which I don't think is bad for a 4X4 truck. I get 18 or close to it in normal daily driving which for me is a mix of city and rural 2 lane roads.

The ride will be somewhere between the Jeep and 4-Runner. Off road, I'd rate it better than either unless you go with the Rubicon.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would surprise me very greatly if the Wrangler turned out to be even half the truck the Toyota has proven to be.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Wrangler and a 4Runner at my house now. The Wrangler is a cool toy and less of a daily driver. I could drive the 4Runner (hunting buggy) every day if need be. I'd certainly go Toyota if racking up lots of miles.

Now with even more aplomb
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Gents, appreciate all the info. Reliability/longevity is the deal maker--for me.

E: Sounds like the FJ you were in...not exactly the rig for making quick lane changes on the x-way...

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Nobody has proven it yet, but they should be at least pretty close as to engine life.
I've been looking as well. I looked at and drove a Toy Tacoma 4 dr. and their heavy duty SUV, whose name I can't recall. Not the 4Runner. Spent a week in a Kawai down pour driving a 12 Wrangler.
The things I didn't like are the Toy's lack of visiability vs. the Wrangler. That and the Wrangler can really be opened up in nice weather. More engine power and, in the Rubicon model, more, to alot more, off road capability.
So, I'm looking to buy a 4 dr. Rubicon. E

He said 300K . How many engines do you plan on putting in the Jeep? +1 on Mudhens suggestion ..get a Tacoma double cab TRD offroad..same passenger room as a 4 runner but the utility of a bed.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've known lots of Toys that didn't make it much past 100-120,000 miles which is at least what the new Pentastar Jeep engines will go. Alot depends on how the mileage was aquired and, especially, the care the vehicle will recieve.
If he wants a highway vehicle, either a 4dr. Jeep or a Tacoma will work. If he wants a dedicated off road vehicle, you can't beat a Jeep Rubicon. E

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've known lots of Toys that didn't make it much past 100-120,000 miles which is at least what the new Pentastar Jeep engines will go. Alot depends on how the mileage was aquired and, especially, the care the vehicle will recieve.
If he wants a highway vehicle, either a 4dr. Jeep or a Tacoma will work. If he wants a dedicated off road vehicle, you can't beat a Jeep Rubicon. E

[bleep] BS E...the only way a Toy doesn't make it past 120 is if the owner drains the oil and lets it run that way. Trying to compare a Chrysler motor with any Toyota motor is an insult as well.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I worked for years with guys that drove their Toys 50-70,000 miles a year. I did see some that went 200,000 or even more miles. But I also saw Dodges, Chevys and Fords go that far as well. Heck, I had a 66 Dodge that had 185,000 miles on it when I replaced the engine. An engine that needed nothing more than a valve job and a new timing chain BTW. E

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I worked for years with guys that drove their Toys 50-70,000 miles a year. I did see some that went 200,000 or even more miles. But I also saw Dodges, Chevys and Fords go that far as well. Heck, I had a 66 Dodge that had 185,000 miles on it when I replaced the engine. An engine that needed nothing more than a valve job and a new timing chain BTW. E

For every Dodge, Chevy or Ford that goes 200k there are 5 that are at the scrap yard with less then 100k on them. You can bank on that. YOu saw some that went 200k or more ...I know of one person that has owned/owns 6 in a construction business and the one with the least mileage has 220K on it. He has trucks that have 400k. Routine maintenance is all they receive. Your 66 Dodge has less emissions crap and is a simpler design then the crap Chrysler puts out now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The last couple of GM products I and my wife owned went tits up at just over 100,000. We replaced the engine in one...and the transmission went about 15,000 later in it....

I'd never had a toyota before that but bought my first then. Now have 3 of them. 2 of which are at 200,000 with nothing but oil changes, tires, and brakes.

Toyotas are proven to me so they get my vote.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I had the same issue and ended up with a nissan xterra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tomk
Gents:

My 1995 Dodge Cummins huntmobile is still going after 290k but the body & interior are shot and it is pretty much relegated to firewood duties. I'd like a presentable ride that does double duty off-road and getting there along the interstate. Am gonna go with the SUV type rather than a pickup this time around.

Tried my wife's ex-CRV (not ex-wife, ex-CRV)for one fall and by the time December rolled around was forever cured and had picked up on trade a lower mileage 2006 4Runner SR5 as an in-between...

Next year I'd like to sell the Runner for a new or newish ride. They put enough salt down on Michigan roads (winter and summer) for rust to be the ultimate vehicle killer, so I like to start new(ish) and then run them to death.

I go out of state enough to put on 30k or so a year and want an engine that will go 300k and get 20mph. The 2006 Runner turns 20mph no problem as did the Dodge on the interstate.

It has come down to 4Runner or Wrangler--what do you say? The Jeep is tempting but I wonder about the longevity and reliability. Is engine life/reliability akin to the Yota?

You would look AMAZING in my 2011 4Runner Trail Edition grin

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Am way to far gone to have exterior props do any good...:)

But I'm not doing anything this weekend. Will drive out and look it over.

Defend the Constitution
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd not own a pentastar jeep. A 4.0 liter, though, will easily outlast a Yota.

W
W
It's hard to beat a XJ, but those are getting hard to find. As a Jeep guy, I'd say for your use the Yota would be a good choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 73 invisible), 3,432 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,423
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.