Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a couple petzl Taktikka lamps, which have a red lens you flip over the LEDs if you need to preserve night vision. This does drop the level of illumination quite a bit so I find I need to have it on high when using red or it's not much use. But they seem completely reliable (once you learn how to close the battery compartment correctly) and as batteries wear out the light level decays slowly so you have plenty of warning when they're getting weak. Good battery life. As a biflocal wearer, I like the vertical adjustments, which allow me to have the reading part of my glasses and the light in the same place, crucial for map reading!

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Zebralight or Surefire models for top dogs.

Princton Tec EOS or Coast H7L for around $50 or less.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Petzl Tikka XP here,comfortable band, lightweight, had red LED and adjusts up/down so well/conveniently. It also has a 'scatter' lens you can pull up that takes the beam and scatters it, mimicking an lantern. It's not near as effective as a lantern but much better for working around camp, cooking etc... after dark because even bright LED's are often too focused to see much outside the spot directly where it hits.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Zebra light. Very, very bright and tough.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For that kind of cash, I always recommend the Black Diamond Spot. It has a strong spotlight that gets you an honest 70 yards of visibility on the brightest setting and also has a 3-LED lower section that is great on the highest setting for camp chores and perfect on the lowest setting for inside the tent.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

M
M
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
For that kind of cash, I always recommend the Black Diamond Spot. It has a strong spotlight that gets you an honest 70 yards of visibility on the brightest setting and also has a 3-LED lower section that is great on the highest setting for camp chores and perfect on the lowest setting for inside the tent.

+1

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

How water-resistant is the Spot?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The spots red light is completely worthless though, maybe mine is defective or something. Very dim. Other than that it is really bright and no complaints. I like hiking in with a red light though, so i wind up using a different lamp.

Sean
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a Petzel Tikka II for 4-5 years and it quit working. The switch gave out I guess. They have a 3 year warranty (of course) but I emailed them anyway. The guy insisted I mail it in, so what the heck, I did (on my dime). They sent me a brand new replacement, free of charge. I liked that.

Also have two different Black Diamonds. I like the Tikkas better because they are simpler (1 click bright, 2 click dim). The BDs have so many functions I am always clicking around trying to get the dang light right, holding the button, different modes. I just need a light.

I found the zebras recently and really like the idea of only having AAs to mess with. That will be my next headlight purchase.

Also, most of the common Petzels and BDs are NOT waterproof, and hardly water resistant. Something to think about.

Last edited by JFKinYK; 12/15/12.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just saw WFR asked about water resistant and the BD Spot. As I said above, none of these lights are water resistant or waterproof. I am looking at my Spot right now, my newest headlight, and there is no gasket around the battery compartment, there isn't on my Tikka II either. Since I just got the Spot I don't have much use in the field with it (although I find it annoying to have to hold down the button for 2-3 secs to dim the light). The seal around the button looks a bit better on the Tikka II than the Spot, but once water breaches the battery compartment on either it's going to be game over.

I wouldn't trust one of these common lights in more than a drizzle or mist, and they've held up fine for me in those in the past, although that may be what killed my first Tikka II after 5 years. Luckily, I live somewhere it hardly rains so it isn't an issue, but if rain was a norm, then I'd definitely purchase something that at least claims to be water resistant, and probably fully waterproof.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In that price range I like the Petzl lights. I have had very good luck with them.

I recently purchased a Black Diamond, and I find my self reaching for my Tikka more often than not.

For a bit more cash, my next one will be a ZL.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Zebralight all the way. I think someone lifted mine at work so now I need to get a new one

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another Zebra Light fan..... In general I prefer a light with out a battery on the back of the head band. Much more comfortable as a reading light that way for me.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Zebralight H31 is hard to go past. I bought mine just a few months ago for $70,prior to that I used a Zebralight H30.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've had a petzl that i've really liked. it takes 3 AAA batteries. only complaint is the elastic headband is getting a little worn.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I bought a nice one made by Eveready at Lowes for $20. High/low spot LED, a flood LEDs for close in work, and an LED red for night vision too. Works great

i will thumb that up!(everready) i am on my 8th one smile i get the 13 dollar one ,2 white one red,i use them all the time and friends say "cool" and it goes away for another one laugh when the batterys go low

kind of like drinking Keystone light over Molson Canadian light? aka give the keystones away and not care

Klarus is my go to but never had a zebra?

http://www.klaruslightusa.com/

Last edited by rem06; 12/19/12.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Petzl Tikka XP. Very good all round headlamp and brighter than you would expect.

Eric

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
has anyone tried the h600 zebralight

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone here use the Princeton Tec Remix?
I have had excellent luck with PT products and they really stand behind their gear.
From what I have been able to gather the red LED's on this one are a bit brighter and it is considered water resistant.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Surefire St. Minimus is the only way to go in my opinion.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,041
Posts18,482,043
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.