Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thanks for sharing the pics everyone, beautiful country Wageslave.

Ben, the extra wide pickup reel would be nice. That bale command really is handy. We use a well worn 660(like 20k bales on it) and a 688. NH sure make good haying equipment.

Net wrap would be great for baling but if you have any carry over bales it can get windblown and sort of come apart. We have some 1-2 year old straw bales with net wrap and they will be tricky to handle this Winter.

C Hell, do you guys feed up all that CRP hay or is it sold?
Lots of CRP coming out and going back into production. We have some 20 miles north of town but it is sandy ground and a pain in the ass to move machinery up there. Kinda nice just to have it for partial haying when things get tight.

How is the oil impact up there?

Not much here, they are skirting around the rez which is fine with us.

Bigbuck and Old Trapper, here's one for you guys.
Not a 55 but she's pretty sweet...grin

[Linked Image]

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7023067&

I think that's pretty close. It may be a bit older model than that.

[Linked Image]

My 95.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 08/28/12.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by eyeball
Sam, how would you like to be about to combine 1600 acres of cotton in the south and looking at 15 in. of rain.?

I would say that if you are running a combine through cotton, you've got bigger problems than 15" of rain.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image]

My 95.

Looks very similar to the one I had except mine was a 95 Corn Special. They are a good macine for sure.

Is that a 15' header on it? Does it have variable speed on the reel?

Thanks for posting that picture.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
"About like most of em back then, they had to be worked on all the time."

Bigbuck, now I know you were really there. Ha.

SamO, if ya check that precious vintage machine, I think I carved my initials in the reel bats. Or it might be any of thousands just like it when I was a kid. And as Bigbuck said it was always a debate about which color was broke down least. They were all broke down most. All required regular enemas.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
EE, that thing has one of them new fangeled cabs, for crying out loud.

I always tried to get the one with an umbrella and one of them canvas, self cooling water bags.

Soli Deo Gloria

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Sam, looks like that old dude could stand a little TLC.

Bet he could tell some pretty good stories.

Here's one in a bit better condition. wink

[Linked Image]

Larry
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NICE!

There is a labor of love. I never knew a combine could have tires that new.

He deserves that ribbon.

Soli Deo Gloria

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Angostura?

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Sam, looks like that old dude could stand a little TLC.

Bet he could tell some pretty good stories.

Here's one in a bit better condition. wink

[Linked Image]

I LOVE that picture !

.....would OSHA chit a green turd over THAT, or what ?

Missed buying a big old Drill press that had open bevel gears, and open belts,.......

guess the "assumption" was that one would have common sense, and luck enough to keep himself clear of the moving apparatus.

Been out watering the little Orchard / Garden under a cool Southwesterly and the 3/4 Moon,.... reflecting on all of the comments about the importance of folks actually UNDERSTANDING where food comes from, and all of the risk, travail, and heartache attendant.

Farming, Ranching, Gardening,......gotta' be the ultimate "Act of Faith".

I'd venture that there's one hell of a lot more to be learned about courage, strength and dedication out there in the dirt and the elements than one's going to get in some "Chapel" from somebody in "Vestments".

Not knocking chapels, just saying that for some, they are where you find them,.....and oftimes lack walls, or roofs.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice post, Greg. Plus one.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Them ol chatter-bangers were all multicapable human cuisinarts.

I honestly think I see a lot more farmers these days with all their limbs and digits.

Augers used to eat a lot of folks.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ever work on a steel spar 'High line' logging show ?

....or a 60's vintage offshore drilling rig ?

rigged and spotted "high steel" as an ironworker / welder ?

it was the way things were across the board, and farming equipment didn't have any 'edge' when it came to being employed around moving or rotating equipment.

God bless em', farmers just work to damned hard, and don't have a sensible "Push" to tell em' to take a break.

Auger and Bin Sweep dittos.

BTDT.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idared
[Linked Image]

My 95.

Looks very similar to the one I had except mine was a 95 Corn Special. They are a good macine for sure.

Is that a 15' header on it? Does it have variable speed on the reel?

Thanks for posting that picture.
You're welcome. Yes, I believe the header is indeed 15 feet. And yes, it's a variable speed reel.

I grew up on the 55's that my Uncle's had. I can barely remember the old Allis Chalmers, about like this one, that we used before that. Seems like I can remember riding on it.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6907675&

Seems like it was like a "45 All Crop" or some such.

Then my Uncles got their first John Deere, an old round backed 45 or 55, I disremember. That was traded on a squareback with a cab and another newer squareback was added. The old Allis just sat out in the brush until my cousin took it to the salvage yard a few years back.

I started my operation with an ancient Gleaner A with no cab. I then got an E that had an add-on cab. The E lacked power badly. This machine was a neighbors. He bought it new somewheres in between '68 and '70. It's supposedly some sort of Quick Attach, but I've never had the head off and don't intend to unless I have to. The 55's were a beech to change. This one was used for the neighbor's 200 acres and that's it, so it really doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Gasser.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sam- Yea New Holland makes good equipment. Our last baler was a Gehl 1470, it had about 25k through it.

The new baler makes a dense bale so hopefully the carry over bales wont shrink and cause the netwrap to get too loose. i guess the only way is to wait and see.

Overall, it seems like a big improvement.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Enjoyed your pics, freedumb1.

The old abandoned farmsteads always make me think there has to be a covey of huns around.

On a more serious note, they always remind me that the things I think are so important will also go that route. Makes a guy take himself a bit less serious and maybe focus more on the people and not the stuff.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam, thanks for the pics, sure is beautiful country!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I grew up on the 55's that my Uncle's had. I can barely remember the old Allis Chalmers, about like this one, that we used before that. Seems like I can remember riding on it.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6907675&

Seems like it was like a "45 All Crop" or some such.

Then my Uncles got their first John Deere, an old round backed 45 or 55, I disremember. That was traded on a squareback with a cab and another newer squareback was added. The old Allis just sat out in the brush until my cousin took it to the salvage yard a few years back.

I started my operation with an ancient Gleaner A with no cab. I then got an E that had an add-on cab. The E lacked power badly. This machine was a neighbors. He bought it new somewheres in between '68 and '70. It's supposedly some sort of Quick Attach, but I've never had the head off and don't intend to unless I have to. The 55's were a beech to change. This one was used for the neighbor's 200 acres and that's it, so it really doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Gasser.

My Father-in-law had an Allis 90 combine he pulled with a D-17. That was a dusty job because you sat so low on the tractor. He had orange blood in his viens though and thought it was the real deal. grin

The first self propelled combine I had was a 45 roundback with no cab. Insullated coveralls were my best friend on cool fall mornings while combining corn and beans. Eventually it usually warmed up enough I could scale back to a hooded sweatshirt. It was a welcome change to combine in a short sleeve shirt with the 95. smile

My headers were always on concrete so as a result sat nice and level which aided in changing them. I could change from beans to corn in about 3/4 hour to 1 hour but that was leaving the filler plates in the cylinder which of course came out for wheat. A neighbor had a 95 with a quick-tach feeder housing and used the same heads as the John Deere 4400 did. He said he could change from beans to corn in about 20 minutes.

Few people around where I was had Gleaners or New Holland machines. John Deere and International had nearly all the combine business. I ran John Deeres not because of a green paint frenzy but because the were four different dealers withing a 20 mile radius and one of them stayed open 24 hours a day during harvest time. Because of this I never was held up too long for parts which really helped to get the crop out in a timely fashion.

Our old Iron club will have its annual threshing bee and show here in a couple of weeks and I'll be pitching wheat bundles into a threshing machine. I get a kick out of doing this but I sure am glad the combine came along. I was just barely old enough to work on threshing crews before they were replaced with combines. The best part about them were the meals that were prepared. Man could those farm wives cook!! smile wink

Larry
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Freedumb1

Thanks from me also for your pictures, especially the abandon buildings. I also always wonder while traveling through the country why certain places were abandon. To me it is kind of sad because no doubt at one time these places were someone's pride and joy. But I guess it just proves progress isn't always pretty but it will still go on.

Larry
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.