-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just purchased a Winchester 94 in 30-30. I use a Dillon 550B for my handguns reloads. Would like to use it for the rifle. May hunt some pigs with it but will just plink a bunch first to get used to the rifle.

Can someone suggest what dies and other gear to buy that would work with the Dillon? Or does it matter?

mahalo

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I loaded mine with Barnes 150 grain TSXs and I used LeverEvolution powder.

I AM DAMNNED IMPRESSED!!!

Hodgdon lists 28.5 grains as max. I started at 23 and worked up. When I hit 25.5 I was getting 3/4 inch triangles and 2400 FPS over my chrony. The muzzle blast and recoil was decidedly light. I think had I kept going I could easily have hit 2700 by the time I got to max.

Unless you've got some ungodly large pigs those bullets at that speed will go through every time and work nicely on the way through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure how to set up the Dillon specifically, but plain old Core-Lokts are cheap enough to plink with, and will surely get the job done on piggies and other things.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the tips!

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've been loading for an M94 in 30 WCF, my first ever centerfire rifle, since I started loading. It is the one rifle which got VERY minimal attention... but for good reason. A then-max load of RL15 under a cup-n-core 150 gr RN (Speer HC, Win PP, RP-CL, Horn IL, whatever...) gives GREAT results, even w/ a 4.5x scope:

[Linked Image]

The center three are from a cool barrel; the other two are from a rapid 3-shot thread. Gotta loosen a screw in the barrel band to correct that, but obviously not the load's fault!

One thing I'll say as a hard core bolt-gun lover who neck sizes nearly all his brass, I found it most helpful to set my 30-30 FLS die to size JUST enough to allow easy chambering of the rounds. This has given me fantastic brass life even running what is now an over-max load.

Good luck; fantastic rifle!!

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by efw

One thing I'll say as a hard core bolt-gun lover who neck sizes nearly all his brass, I found it most helpful to set my 30-30 FLS die to size JUST enough to allow easy chambering of the rounds. This has given me fantastic brass life even running what is now an over-max load.

That is an excellent technique for loading to loading consistency in bolt guns too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My M94 Winchester is very accurate with the Hornady 170 grain FP, not being too picky about a couple of powders I've tried in it.

I've ran 748 and IMR3031, and though the POIs are slightly different, the accuracy is about equal with either powder.

I prefer Winchester brass, and am using CCI primers to light either load.

OAL is 2.550" and crimped with a Lee FCD.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Great stuff efw. mahalo.

Nice group at 100 yds.

All I need to do now is buy the reloading hardware that will work with my Dillon 550...

Do you guys recommend the Lee Crimp die as well as the standard dies? Do I need anything "special"?

NRA Member

Carl Jung
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MILES58

Hodgdon lists 28.5 grains as max. I started at 23 and worked up. When I hit 25.5 I was getting 3/4 inch triangles and 2400 FPS over my chrony. The muzzle blast and recoil was decidedly light. I think had I kept going I could easily have hit 2700 by the time I got to max.

Unless you've got some ungodly large pigs those bullets at that speed will go through every time and work nicely on the way through.

I assume you are single loading the .30 TSX's?

Doc

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks and my pleasure; happy to be of assistance.

That was the first group I'd printed with that rifle in many, many years and I was pretty excited to see the results!

Yes, I use the Lee Factory Crimp die in addition to a standard RCBS 2-die set with the seater dialed to put the case mouth over the cannelure. Obviously the Lee die adds a step, but I've found it easier on brass than the roll crimp built into RCBS seaters as well as more consistent.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No I believe he was talking about the one specifically made for lever guns... a flat-nosed, hollow-point offering?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always crimped as a separate operation anyway, and like efw, have found that the Lee die seems to do a good job.

I would set the die to seat the bullet to the desired OAL, then readjust it to crimp. The Lee die allowed me to leave both dies at their respective settings, which in my mind, allowed the ammo to be more consistent from loading to loading.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I load the 170 gr Partition to 2425 fps in a 26" barreled '94 Winchester with RL-15, WW-cases and CCI-250 primers.

Believe it or not, it's an absolute meat and bone punch on WT deer and hogs to around 240 lbs.

Kills MUCH better than the silly paper ballistics predict.

Gunner

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I always crimped as a separate operation anyway, and like efw, have found that the Lee die seems to do a good job.

I would set the die to seat the bullet to the desired OAL, then readjust it to crimp. The Lee die allowed me to leave both dies at their respective settings, which in my mind, allowed the ammo to be more consistent from loading to loading.

+1

You hit the nail on the head. Constantly adjusting your dies from seating bullets to contant crimping only leads to NON uniformity unless you have a machinist's back ground.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by MILES58

I assume you are single loading the .30 TSX's?

Doc

No. I am loading 150 grain Flat nose hollow point TSXs for 30-30s. They have a whopping big hole in the end and open nicely at pretty low velocity. have seen them open all the way in water jugs at <1500 FPS.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,563
Posts18,510,657
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.