-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was pondering this question last night and figured this is about the best place to get the answer.

Say for example one company, say Remington comes out with a new rifle. They then decied to produce it in the following random chamberings.

.223 Remington
.243 Winchester
.300 Savage
.375 Ruger

Would Remington have to pay royalties or broker a licence agreement with Winchester, Savage and Ruger for chambering a rifle developed by another company?

Just wondering...thanks

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am not well informed on this but I like the question. If the original manufacturer did not copyright the name there should be no problem with a manufacturer chambering his rifle for another manufacturer�s cartridge.
In the past there were problems such as when Gebby copyrighted the name Varminter for the 22-250 and aggravated a few other custom gunsmiths. I guess in recent times there were more consumers than gunsmiths aggravated when J.D. Jones held a copyright and exclusive rights to the name and reloading dies for the 300 Whisper.
It is more fun to look at reloading equipment and look at things like the Lee case trimmer and the Factory Crimp die along with a few other handy little tools which did not sell well for the originators but which found their share of the market after the copyright or patent expired.
There are other products such as the XS sight, the Small Game bullet and the Foul Out electronic cleaners that comes to mind.

Slim
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Beyond that question:

Is it worth it for the average Joe to invent something fo th firearms industry? No, because you will surely just get screwed out of it.

It's happened to me not once, but THREE times. OK, I'm a slow learner, but I finally got it.

About a year ago, I had a call from the last company to cheat me, "Steve, we desperately need some help and some original ideas ... can you come in-plant for a few days?"

I said (very loudly) NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. And if it hadn't a lady friend of mine on the phone, I might have added the F-Word.

Sad but true.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And if you bring suit to get your due you'll get crucified for it.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the question was asked of Wayne Novak, who has done well with his sights for pistols. He credited patents for protecting his invention, and he has sold them to large companies for some time.

I asked Ken Howell at the Quemado gathering if he ever knew anyone to make money off a wildcat, and he replied no one had done it, except perhaps if they could start up a gun company in the process.

Average guys do win lawsuits against big companies. I knew of one guy in California who had a design for a Christmas tree stand, blatently copied by a large retail store chain. He eventually collected $12 million.

I have about three possibly-patentable ideas in hand at the moment. One will be assigned to my employer, but the others will be mine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Seems like we had the WSM guy sue a couple manufacturers and tried to solicit money from gunsmiths that chambered them. I have some strong opinions on this.By the way, I have none and don't see a need for one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by SEdge

Yeah, like Rick Jamison. And the majority of the guys here totally hate Rick, including a really beloved member.

In truth, Rick's ballistic laboratory is much more complete than those of many gun and ammo manufacturers. And Rick totally knows what he's doing. His higher-learning degrees are extensive.

Believe what you will, the attitude in the industry is that all genius, literally all good ideas, MUST come from within the company. Yeah, they will invite an outsider in, but they will look at his stuff and copy it and bring it out as the new product as their intellectual property. That is PRECISELY what happened to Rick.

Does that piss me off? YES.

It does not hurt me personally. It hurts me because all of the royalties that I would have made would have been donated to educate worthy children in our Catholic Parish Grade School.

Yup, I am the fella that a most-beloved 24HCF member called "Stan" in a lovely thread on the Hunter's Campfire entitled Ego Masterbation. Yeah, I really appreciated that; such a classy thing to do.

On the other hand, I am a happy, contented and devout Catholic. AND, by standing up, leading by example and doing what I thought was right, our Parish has THREE MORE successful business people who stood up and started LARGE endowments of their own. By being an example, by helping the kids, we can do so, so, so much for America and the next generation.

There is no greater joy than watching a tiny third-grade girl excelling in a school that will give her a fabulous classical education ... and knowing that she would be fighting for her life in a public school. And all eight years of her grade school education assured by funds earned my gun writing. The school is one where kids Pledge Allegiance to the American Flag every day and the children are taught about in God. You simply have to love it!!!

Anyway, I would have loved to have received royalties for those knife designs and the reticle. FOR THE KIDS, no matter how much others hate it and poke fun of it ... FOR THE KIDS.

God Bless,

Steve AKA "Stan"

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not-invented-here syndrome is in absolutely no way exclusive to the shooting-sports industry, though that makes the disappointment of the idea-men no less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by SEdge

Yeah, like Rick Jamison. And the majority of the guys here totally hate Rick, including a really beloved member.

In truth, Rick's ballistic laboratory is much more complete than those of many gun and ammo manufacturers. And Rick totally knows what he's doing. His higher-learning degrees are extensive.

Believe what you will, the attitude in the industry is that all genius, literally all good ideas, MUST come from within the company. Yeah, they will invite an outsider in, but they will look at his stuff and copy it and bring it out as the new product as their intellectual property. That is PRECISELY what happened to Rick.

Does that piss me off? YES.

It does not hurt me personally. It hurts me because all of the royalties that I would have made would have been donated to educate worthy children in our Catholic Parish Grade School.

Yup, I am the fella that a most-beloved 24HCF member called "Stan" in a lovely thread on the Hunter's Campfire entitled Ego Masterbation. Yeah, I really appreciated that; such a classy thing to do.

On the other hand, I am a happy, contented and devout Catholic. AND, by standing up, leading by example and doing what I thought was right, our Parish has THREE MORE successful business people who stood up and started LARGE endowments of their own. By being an example, by helping the kids, we can do so, so, so much for America and the next generation.

There is no greater joy than watching a tiny third-grade girl excelling in a school that will give her a fabulous classical education ... and knowing that she would be fighting for her life in a public school. And all eight years of her grade school education assured by funds earned my gun writing. The school is one where kids Pledge Allegiance to the American Flag every day and the children are taught about in God. You simply have to love it!!!

Anyway, I would have loved to have received royalties for those knife designs and the reticle. FOR THE KIDS, no matter how much others hate it and poke fun of it ... FOR THE KIDS.

God Bless,

Steve AKA "Stan"

Steve,

I dont spend much time in the campfire section. Do you happen to have a link to that post? Sounds like you work for a very good cause.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
part of the SAAMI standardization is the relinquishing of those trademark rights, so no royalties would need to be paid. proprietary and wildcats are another story.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple ideas that are not firearm related, but their simplicity is such that I'd likely never see a dime.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My money job was owning my own jewelry store and I was THE gold and platinumsmith. I have no idea how many tools, jigs and such I made over the years.

Most of the tools I made were simply a matter of need. And when nobody makes a tool that works, you've gotta make your own. So I did.

Karen and I were cleaning up my shop, which happens to be our junk room, a couple of weeks ago. During the cleanup, I got to digging through my goldsmithing tools ... I was amazed at the number and variety them that were handmade.

Need brings invention.

It's sort of sad to see those hand-built tools, probably at least 20 of them, just sitting there. In a few years, I will die and they'll be thrown away ... just another bunch of garbage. Kinda sad, actually.

But I'll be damned if I'll ever be screwed-over by another manufacturer.

Blessings,

Steve

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,420
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.