-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1250 fps with a 300 gr cast performance out of a 4 5/8" barrel SBH. Not an overcharged load, within specs. Loaded and chronoed. Guess I'll put my cone back on now. Maybe you should look into listening and learning instead of telling everyone they are wrong, but you are right.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the way Mr. handgunner, hodgdon shows a start charge of h110 at 20 gr for a 325 hard cast. Max of 22. My load was lower than that max with a 300. Please tell me how I was overpressuring my gun again?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've been packing a M329PD as an every day woods carry piece for 5 years. The hype of 'inhuman recoil' is hyperbole. It's not a good choice for a novice to learn on, but more experienced pistoleros should have no problem ........ as long as you NEVER try heavy loads with those pretty wooden stocks. As was mentioned earlier, S&W's 'X-frame grips' fit perfectly, and cushion the recoil much more effectively. I had mine Magna-Ported and the formerly big muzzle jump was eliminated, and double action is, with practice, usable.

Finally, I no longer handload for my .44s. I use Buffalo Bore's 'reduced recoil' 44 Mag load in my 329PD. The load is a full magnum load ... a 255 gr Keith-style hardcast GC @ 1270 fps (average) out of my barrel ... and features a different pressure-curve than the higher pressure BufBore heavier bullet loads.

In my long time S&W M396ML ....44Special, I use BufBore's 'heavy' 44 Special load ... same bullet as the Mag load, but @ 975 fps from the 3.125" barrel. I executed a moose in my dog team, about a decade ago, with 2 applications of that load.

Now I have more time to load for my rifles. For my use, I doubt I could improve on the these 2 loads. The right bullets @ the right speed with excellent penetration.

The M329PD is a dandy carry piece once you become proficient with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Endgame, did you do any modifications to your 329PD? With mine, I replaced the so called "SAFETY" lock, loc tighted the cylinder latch, and replaced the sights with regular patridge style sights plus a trigger job.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by jwp475

Your lack of experience is glaring. I have personaly chrongraphed 4" revolvers that chronoed higher velocity than a 6" barrel on the same day with the same ammo. Experience walks and Bull [bleep] talks
Very well put. Dla, Buffalo bore lists that load as +p+. Do a little research and its pretty obvious you have not spent any amount of time with shorter barreled revolvers. If you had, you would not be making some of the rediculous comments.

You two should form a support group for challenged people.

We are supporting you as best we can, but your dumbfucktitude makes it difficult

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by dla

1.5" is a lot more than 50fps. No such thing as 44mag +P+. Pressure data talks, bs walks.

Cool! We got a moron to play with!

Travis
Too funny. He makes comments like that and I'm the one thats challenged. For future reference, dont call out jwp, he probably knows more than you'll ever know about handgunning.

I see there are 3 of you now - told you to get that support group started....

BB's data shows 1.5" to be worth 90+fps. There is no recognized spec for 44mag +p+ - if I'm wrong then show me. And not a one of you has ever had your loads pressure tested - you're all just pissing in the wind.

OK, you can take the cone off your pointy little head and speak now.....

Keep diggin' stupid.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
DLA,

I have loaded one or two rounds on 44 mag myself in the last 2+ decades I have been loading and hunting with it.

Nothing that Montana Marine posted was inaccurate or unsafe. In fact I have pushed hard cast bullets faster out of tubes 4"s and longer. I guess I would say that I am a little bit of a .44 mag aficionado.

I have enjoyed reading Montana Marine's posts through the years, as he has similar interests (such as long range precision shooting and reloading). He carefully works up loads, is observant of pressure signs, and by my observation seems to have his head screwed on pretty darn straight.

On that note, I read your article. It is well written and informative. You obviously spent a good amount of time compiling the information.

You may not agree with MM, or JWP, or me for that matter, but understand that their experiences differ from yours and I for one (and many others)value their opinion based upon the manner in which they present it.

As for me, I am a life long learner. I tend to be a sponge on some subject matters. On others that I feel I have the knowledge or experience base to reply with an informed reply, I will.

In regards to this subject there is no reason to get fired up simply because your experience differs from others.

Cheers Friend.

BTW, there is a thread called the 44 mag pics and discussion thread that I started a couple years back. Please feel free to post pics in it, as we all love to see pics of 44 mags.

smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
DLA,

I have enjoyed reading Montana Marine's posts through the years, as he has similar interests (such as long range precision shooting and reloading). He carefully works up loads, is observant of pressure signs, and by my observation seems to have his head screwed on pretty darn straight.

I'm not hogpiling this DLA feller either, but I gotta say your observations on Shane (Montana Marine) seem accurate to me.

When I first saw the loading and read some of the post, I thought "whoa", but then I read who it was and had no more concern. I've never met him in person, but Shane seems to me to be one of the most careful and precise guys here. I read a bit further and found that indeed his load came straight from the book anyway. My own concern initially was the range of the H110 loads, since IME many times H110/W296 don't have a range of loadings but just one set load. I've loaded with that powder over the years and it is still my go-to loading for hot 44 Mag. and even some 45 Colts, but it is sensitive. Again, though, reading that it came from Shane and then further reading that he got it from the book-no worries.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

BTW, there is a thread called the 44 mag pics and discussion thread that I started a couple years back. Please feel free to post pics in it, as we all love to see pics of 44 mags.

smile
Indeed one of the best threads ever on this forum and spawning a bunch of similar ones that were good too. 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 357 (I think?), come to mind. Pics always rock. An otherwise pedestrian thread can literally be transformed by some good pics. I always like watches, knives, canteens, Zombie targets and the like in the background. Pics with settings in the mountains are always good too. You could take a pic around here right now, but you'd pretty much get dead grass that ain't even brown but grey and ponds that are about empty.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
DLA,

Nothing that Montana Marine posted was inaccurate or unsafe. In fact I have pushed hard cast bullets faster out of tubes 4"s and longer. I guess I would say that I am a little bit of a .44 mag aficionado.

Ok, I get it that you have some sort of jones for Montana Marine. But instead getting all gushy, at least go back and read what the discussion was about. Never hurts to do that before you add your two cents to a thread.

I summed it up nicely in post #6821889. Read that, think it over, and then post.

I'm all for safe loads.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm all for safe loads too. Been loading since 1977, still have 10 fingers, 2 eyes, and a pulse. Plan to keep them all for as long as possible.

The only reason I even weighed in here is because dla was having a bit of a scoff at those who didn't run their 329pd's wide open, then stating he loads the 240 to 1200 fps. Seemed kinda odd to me, for a guy running a midrange load himself.

Hell, I mostly shoot light/mid loads in my 44 too, but I also have some full house stuff on the shelf.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm all for safe loads too. Been loading since 1977, still have 10 fingers, 2 eyes, and a pulse. Plan to keep them all for as long as possible.

The only reason I even weighed in here is because dla was having a bit of a scoff at those who didn't run their 329pd's wide open, then stating he loads the 240 to 1200 fps. Seemed kinda odd to me, for a guy running a midrange load himself.

Hell, I mostly shoot light/mid loads in my 44 too, but I also have some full house stuff on the shelf.

Cool, now I know what got you going. I like 240gr1200fps from a 4" tube. You said 240gr1400fps was the top for a 4" tube and I called you on it. Show me, (data please), how you get 1400fps with 36kpsi and a 4" barrel and I will be educated.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Think hardcast, and H110.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
240 gr LSWC and a stiff load of H110 (under book max btw) will do 1400fps my 4 5/8" SBH with no pressure signs It's been chronographed and as it appears in several manuals I will assume their data shows it to be safe pressure.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I was born in 1977. Just sayin'...

grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BORN in 1977? I was already working full time, driving a Hurst Equipped Olds 442, and chasin the gals in 1977. Had already built one custom rifle and been handloading 6 years. I guess that makes me an old fart smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by dla

Ok, I get it that you have some sort of jones for Montana Marine. But instead getting all gushy, at least go back and read what the discussion was about. Never hurts to do that before you add your two cents to a thread.

I summed it up nicely in post #6821889. Read that, think it over, and then post.

I'm all for safe loads.

dla,

The commments in regards to MMs loads and posts were a sign of respect. Something which you obviously need a lesson in.

I posted in a friendly and polite manner to smooth out your puffed up and ruffled feathers. It was apparant that you considered yourself as the "expert" on the subject matter, while not having a clue whom your audience was. The clue might have been how quickly you got jumped.

Ironically (or hyopocritically)you entitled "Christian" before your first name in your article but launch personal attacks on someone who ("Jonesing and "gushy" for MM")did nothing of the sort to you.

How very Christian of you.

I suppose that is how you would conduct yourself if we were having a personal conversation too.

We have many self appointed subject matter experts at the fire. Skipping over one more really won't make much difference.

MS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

I'm all for safe loads.

dla,

The commments in regards to MMs loads and posts were a sign of respect. Something which you obviously need a lesson in.

Cool! Show me the load that gets a 240gr pill moving to 1400fps from a 4" barrel at/under 36Kpsi. Do that and I will acknowledge it publicly.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
dla,

Nobody really gives a [bleep] what you do or don't acknowledge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm late to the party, and it looks like there's a ton of BS in here, but I'll offer my .02.

I had a 329pd. It was awesome. To carry. Shooting? it sucked. After a full cylinder I didn't ever want to shoot more. 44 specials were fine, but the mags? no thanks. I sold it and haven't regretted it for a minute. I want to own guns that I like to shoot.

I now carry a glock 29 as my backwoods sidearm. Light, more capacity, and i don't care if it gets wet, dirty, or nasty. I can trust it. And...I like to shoot it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.