Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just purchased a MEC sizemaster a few days back. I was wondering from experience what hulls a fella should go with for upland birds and clays.

Last edited by Badley; 08/30/12.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used a bunch of different hulls over the years, mostly AA's, but a few Fiocchi and Remington hulls thrown in for certain loads. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, although I'm reading/hearing that the newer AA hulls aren't that great. I wouldn't know, as I have several thousand older AA hulls that I'm still using.

I recently started loading nontoxic shot and bought a supply of new hulls from Ballistic Products on sale. These are Fiocchi hulls. So far they seem like very good quality hulls at a very decent price.

I went with Fiocchi because the best cross-section of load recipes in several reloading sources all use them. So far I've been impressed with them.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info Doc.

Last edited by Badley; 08/30/12.
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess while im asking. is one type of wad better than another?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Badley
im cheap and have used every kind of cheap wad out there without any problems.i do perfer the claybuster wads.

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was wondering from talks experience what hulls a fella should go with for upland birds and clays.

I have loaded AAs for probably 40 years, and still use them a lot (pretty much exclusively in 20 ga, 28 ga, and 410). I have "many" thousands of them.

I have also loaded a good bit of Estate (Federal) hulls, mainly because I got a good deal on about 7-8 thousand wads for 7/8 oz loads. I bought a few flats of shells just so I'd have a good supply of hulls to use up the wads, and really enjoy shooting 7/8 oz loads in the 12 ga.

I've also recently picked up about 5000 or so Rem STS hulls, so will start loading them.

For me, I load any good hull (AA or STS, with the Estates also serving well).

See what you can score a deal on, or what you can scrounge for free at the local club.

Stick with the mainstream brands, decide which you can reliably get and set your loader up for them, and you'll have no problems.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Never found a reason to not use Claybusters.

They are half the price of "genuine" Winchesters.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just purchased a MEC sizemaster a few days back. I was wondering from experience what hulls a fella should go with for upland birds and clays.

Winchester AA's and Remington sts or nitro 27 hulls.....Orange WT12 (cheaper version of WAA12 wad) wads for 1 1/8 oz. loads, claybusters didn't like my fingers on my mec grabber (always rough)......Also try the WAA12SL wad for 7/8 and 1 oz. loads...For powder, try green dot for your fast 1 oz loads and clays for your 1 1/8 oz. loads. For fast money loads try the longshot powder.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Be prepared to spend a lot of time sweeping up powder from the floor and chasing down shot into all the available nooks and crannies.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just set the machine in a shallow sheet pan, that will catch the errant components when you mess up(and you will), its save me from the clean up drill many times.

NRA Benefactor
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Badley, I think Remington STS hulls are the best going, and also like Claybuster wads. I've found them OK even in cold weather, when some of the knockoffs had sealing problems from substandard plastics in them.

Hope you like the loader...best,

GF1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GF1
Badley, I think Remington STS hulls are the best going, and also like Claybuster wads. I've found them OK even in cold weather, when some of the knockoffs had sealing problems from substandard plastics in them.

Hope you like the loader...best,

GF1

+1 on the STS's. The AA's, IMHO, crack at the crimp after one or two reloads. The STS's don't. And I think STS's are slicker and crimp nicer than the AA's.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Surprised I didn't see Remington Gun Clubs mentioned here. For me they are like that Energizer bunny.....they really do keep going and going. Check your collet adjustment for proper sizing of the steel base. It's my understanding that too much can cause the collet to fail. The Win AA, Rem STS/Nitro, and Fed Prem have brass bases. Resizing them to factory specs won't damage the collet. I have not experienced this, only passing on what I do on the suggestion of other experienced MEC users. BTW, from my experience I can say that all the Rem hulls I've tried load exactly the same. No station adjustments necessary. This includes STS, Nitro, Gun Glub, Sport Load, Game Loads (black and green), Dove Loads, RXP, Blue/Green (Magic), and some of the new smooth sided Peter's blue hulls. The only Rem hulls I won't load are the older "American" (I think that's what they are marked) and the newer green UMC hulls. Both have seperate base wads and the UMC's are obviously very poor plastic quality.

I like and load AA's and Rem STS/Nitro's. They are great too. When scrounging hulls though I see more Gun Clubs, Top Guns, Estates, etc..... . The Win Universals and Super Targets load fine also but they split after one or two reloads and or the crimps become very week. I have some Fed hulls to try someday, just need the proper wads and time.

ClayBuster wads are the least expensive (locally) and work well. For a few dollars more per 5000 you might like Downrange Wads. They have a slicker texture and make handle pulls smoother for me. Both companies make either OEM clones or wads that are ballistically equal. Generally, published data will provide OEM wad numbers. The aftermarket companies will reference them on the product containers.

Here is a link to a wad substitution chart posted on another site.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=175822

Before getting started I suggest you get the Lyman's Shotshell reloading handbook 5 th edition. Lots of great info, illustrations and recipes. Loading shot shells is different that metallic and comes with its own hazards. Stick with published data

Be safe and good luck with your new loader.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good points, Ring3. I agree that all Rem. hulls load about the same. I've loaded the cheaper versions, as well as the STS's and they all work great.

If the AA's crimp creases didn't crack after a reloading or two, I'd like them as well.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ring3
Surprised I didn't see Remington Gun Clubs mentioned here. For me they are like that Energizer bunny.....they really do keep going and going. Check your collet adjustment for proper sizing of the steel base. It's my understanding that too much can cause the collet to fail. The Win AA, Rem STS/Nitro, and Fed Prem have brass bases. Resizing them to factory specs won't damage the collet. I have not experienced this, only passing on what I do on the suggestion of other experienced MEC users. BTW, from my experience I can say that all the Rem hulls I've tried load exactly the same. No station adjustments necessary. This includes STS, Nitro, Gun Glub, Sport Load, Game Loads (black and green), Dove Loads, RXP, Blue/Green (Magic), and some of the new smooth sided Peter's blue hulls. The only Rem hulls I won't load are the older "American" (I think that's what they are marked) and the newer green UMC hulls. Both have seperate base wads and the UMC's are obviously very poor plastic quality.

I like and load AA's and Rem STS/Nitro's. They are great too. When scrounging hulls though I see more Gun Clubs, Top Guns, Estates, etc..... . The Win Universals and Super Targets load fine also but they split after one or two reloads and or the crimps become very week. I have some Fed hulls to try someday, just need the proper wads and time.

ClayBuster wads are the least expensive (locally) and work well. For a few dollars more per 5000 you might like Downrange Wads. They have a slicker texture and make handle pulls smoother for me. Both companies make either OEM clones or wads that are ballistically equal. Generally, published data will provide OEM wad numbers. The aftermarket companies will reference them on the product containers.

Here is a link to a wad substitution chart posted on another site.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=175822

Before getting started I suggest you get the Lyman's Shotshell reloading handbook 5 th edition. Lots of great info, illustrations and recipes. Loading shot shells is different that metallic and comes with its own hazards. Stick with published data

Be safe and good luck with your new loader.

Excellent post Ring....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been loading for shotguns for a number of years. If I were starting over, knowing what I know from experience, I would go with Remington hulls. Nitro27s, STSs, and Gun Clubs. That way you can use the same wad for any of them, of course depending on the load. I have used WT12 wads, Rem Fig8, and Claybuster wads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

First off let me say....cheap is good and the claybuster wads are less costly and an excellent wad!

I see a few folks recommending Remington hulls.....nothing wrong with that....I used AA hulls for clays and some great upland loads....baby magnums (1 3/8 OZ) worked very well on pheasant and duck back in the days when lead shot was legal for waterfowl.

Today I like the federal hulls as I load steel in them and it makes a fine duck load.....but in all sincerity....one is actually better off to buy his steel loads.....very little to nothing is saved by reloading steel.

That said reloading is just plain fun and even at a break even some find it therapeutic...LOL

I still prefer to load the federal hulls as it seems there's more room in the hull....but the real clincher is to stay with one hull....mixing hulls is a recipe for frustration...

If you start with STS hulls then stay with them....same for federal hulls....

I heard that Winchester changed the AA hulls....why is beyond me.....and I don't know anything about the new hull....so I haven't bought AA hulls for a very long time

Last edited by vapodog; 09/17/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.