Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

History has shown your point of view to be invalid. You have a defeastist mentality

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jwp475

History has shown your point of view to be invalid. You have a defeastist mentality

Yep. It is the guaranteed quickest route to failure.

I can not comprehend the mindset of not valuing ones own life, or the life of their loved ones enough to be willing to fight to keep it. Folks constantly rave about "losing their rights" but would refuse to exercise the most basic right to defend their own life? It blows my mind.

Crazy world, huh?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
4. If you shoot somebody, even if you did so in what you think was self-defense, have realistic expectations about what is likely to happen.
a. EXPECT to be arrested and charged.
b. Expect to be handcuffed and taken to jail.
c. Expect a very nasty series of interrogations.
d. Expect to have to hire a good lawyer, and expect to spend the next 1-2 years defending yourself.
e. Expect to have to mortgage your house and liquidate all your assets to pay your legal costs.
f. Expect to lose your guns.
A sad reality, but it should be a focal point for demanding that it be altered, as it violates fundamental human rights.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I guess you have never ran out of ammo, judging by your response. It is better to have and not need than to need and not have

In my young days I carried a Dan Wesson .357 mag with six rounds and never felt like I needed more ammo. I always figured if I haven't kill all my opponents with the first few rounds I would not need any more because I would be dead.

I suppose it's because I grew up with the 1911 and seven round magazines. Even today if I carried my full size 1911 I would just use seven round magazines.

One man confronted by armed multiply threats is not going to live very long anyway if the threats make a stand. You can't watch all the threats at the same time.

Dude, history is full of examples of individuals winning against over whelming odds, I in fact intend to prevail no matter how the odds are stacked. It is a decision that I made a very long time ago and it has served me well. I have been in several situation that many thought that I would not survive but I did and intend to continue to do so

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelringer

I can not comprehend the mindset of not valuing ones own life, or the life of their loved ones enough to be willing to fight to keep it. Folks constantly rave about "losing their rights" but would refuse to exercise the most basic right to defend their own life? It blows my mind.

Crazy world, huh?

I think you missed recognizing my somewhat tongue in cheek intent in my posts.

While I am absolutely sure Doc's OP is spot on target for much of this country it really is not for where I live. I have read case after case where a legal gun owned hass used deadly force for self defense and suffered not of the results listed.

But just consider for a moment someone who finds themselves in my situation. If I sold a couple of my guns to attend such classes there would be no need to attend. A non gun owner would not benefit. So my choices are not to carry and not to defend myself or family or carry without the benefit of all the recommended training and a full time attorney well versed in self defense law to follow me wherever I go.

I was honest when I stated I live on less than $1300 a month with a $550 farm payment and no health insurance. Those are the facts. What would you do?

I will carry, I will practice whenever I can, I will do my best to be ready should I need to use my carry weapon, and I will do what I think is best should I ever have to use that carry weapon and face the aftermath. However a 63 year old crippled man does not face a great future in jail. He just might be better off dead.

Last edited by Scott F; 09/02/12.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think it was McPhearson that said anyone who hunts dangerous game with hand loads and thinks there 100% reliable,needs to think twice,although he was talking about the 454 Casull.

I always buy one box of any caliber,rifle or pistol,of factory ammunition of the sort I will be reloading too.First to chronograph for velocity then to save the rest for possible/reliable use.

To each his own and he is an avid reloader as most of us here are.

Jayco

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I guess you have never ran out of ammo, judging by your response. It is better to have and not need than to need and not have

In my young days I carried a Dan Wesson .357 mag with six rounds and never felt like I needed more ammo. I always figured if I haven't kill all my opponents with the first few rounds I would not need any more because I would be dead.

I suppose it's because I grew up with the 1911 and seven round magazines. Even today if I carried my full size 1911 I would just use seven round magazines.

One man confronted by armed multiply threats is not going to live very long anyway if the threats make a stand. You can't watch all the threats at the same time.

Please STFU.

Thanks,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

As regards lawyers, lawsuits, gettng arrersted for self defense, etc ... All I know is:

I have a hell of a lot less to worry about when I have a handgun than when I don't. (PERIOD!)

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Steelringer

Crazy world, huh?

I think you missed recognizing my somewhat tongue in cheek intent in my posts.

While I am absolutely sure Doc's OP is spot on target for much of this country it really is not for where I live. I have read case after case where a legal gun owned hass used deadly force for self defense and suffered not of the results listed.

But just consider for a moment someone who finds themselves in my situation. If I sold a couple of my guns to attend such classes there would be no need to attend. A non gun owner would not benefit. So my choices are not to carry and not to defend myself or family or carry without the benefit of all the recommended training and a full time attorney well versed in self defense law to follow me wherever I go.

I was honest when I stated I live on less than $1300 a month with a $550 farm payment and no health insurance. Those are the facts. What would you do?

I will carry, I will practice whenever I can, I will do my best to be ready should I need to use my carry weapon, and I will do what I think is best should I ever have to use that carry weapon and face the aftermath. However a 63 year old crippled man does not face a great future in jail. He just might be better off dead.

My friend, we do not live in that different of a time or a financial sphere (you and I).
I am addressing those who would cower from the very thought of defending what is precious to them.
Legalities aside, it is not that complex an issue. Protect thy house.
I'd gladly stand with you to do just that.

The crucial inforamtion can be shared outside any "formal" training, especially for those who have never been through a bad time. Listening to those who have will be much more worthwhile. Keep your weapons and save your dollars. Some of us can and do share what we know to be factual.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
pal

Remember they call it a Legal System, not a justice system.

A system where 12 of what some would call your peers decide who had the best attorney.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dude, history is full of examples of individuals winning against over whelming odds, I in fact intend to prevail no matter how the odds are stacked. It is a decision that I made a very long time ago and it has served me well. I have been in several situation that many thought that I would not survive but I did and intend to continue to do so

You have your way of survival and I have my way. I've studied the Chinese martial arts and my way of survival is not based on macho tough guy. To each his own.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What do you guys think about groups like this ? armed citizens defense The NRA also has a insurance type program.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Frankly, my take on all of this is Doc is basically correct in that all of his points can happen. But, and mind you I live and have worked in law enforcement in notoriously liberal Kalifornia, I wouldn't say the last two points are highly improbable.
I've seen alot shootings by both cops and civilians. I've seen civilians go to jail intially as a regular thing. Even in odvious cases of self defense. But they seldom get charged if there is much evidence of self defense. They seldom get sued either. While we have no law protecting those who use deadly force in self defense, one can always counter sue those who try to sue you in such cases. We can also sue their attorneys if the case is malicious enough.
As odd or difficult as it sounds, you are far better off keeping your mouth shut after the cops arrive. When you call it in, describe how you or yours had your lives threatend, and tell the cops that shots were fired but not by whom. If the bad guy has been shot, tell them he is still there and suffering from gunshot wounds. Requesting an ambulance for him is a good idea. No, you haven't attempted to give him first aide because you are terrified of him, etc.
Where most get into trouble is where they come to the aide of people they don't know, they use deadly force against unarmed property crimes, shooting fleeing felons, or they shoot someone who has punched them a time or two.
I'd also point out that I'm sick and tried of seeing people get killed who bluff with a gun or refuse to defend themselves when attacked. For every person I'm aware of who has been bankrupted by a bad shooting, I've seen a dozen who have been crippled or killed who wouldn't fight back. Some of these people were cops, BTW.
Even in liberal Kalifornia, the prevaling attitude is you are always better off fighting back. Ask anybody who has worked with rape victims and spousal abuse victims. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Certainly something to look into.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just got my concealed carry permit.... Im a former Marine... and READING THIS....I feel under-trained

"No better friend, No worse enemy"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Frankly, my take on all of this is Doc is basically correct in that all of his points can happen. But, and mind you I live and have worked in law enforcement in notoriously liberal Kalifornia, I wouldn't say the last two points are highly improbable.
I've seen alot shootings by both cops and civilians. I've seen civilians go to jail intially as a regular thing. Even in odvious cases of self defense. But they seldom get charged if there is much evidence of self defense. They seldom get sued either. While we have no law protecting those who use deadly force in self defense, one can always counter sue those who try to sue you in such cases. We can also sue their attorneys if the case is malicious enough.
As odd or difficult as it sounds, you are far better off keeping your mouth shut after the cops arrive. When you call it in, describe how you or yours had your lives threatend, and tell the cops that shots were fired but not by whom. If the bad guy has been shot, tell them he is still there and suffering from gunshot wounds. Requesting an ambulance for him is a good idea. No, you haven't attempted to give him first aide because you are terrified of him, etc.
Where most get into trouble is where they come to the aide of people they don't know, they use deadly force against unarmed property crimes, shooting fleeing felons, or they shoot someone who has punched them a time or two.
I'd also point out that I'm sick and tried of seeing people get killed who bluff with a gun or refuse to defend themselves when attacked. For every person I'm aware of who has been bankrupted by a bad shooting, I've seen a dozen who have been crippled or killed who wouldn't fight back. Some of these people were cops, BTW.
Even in liberal Kalifornia, the prevaling attitude is you are always better off fighting back. Ask anybody who has worked with rape victims and spousal abuse victims.
E

I could not agree more especialy the part high lighted ion red. I once worked with a guy thaqt had spent time in prison for armed robbery. He told me that he and his partner took nothing from people that they thought would fight back. He said that they aiways looked for "victims" and left those alone that did not look like a "victim"

One should never look for trouble but one should indeed defend him of herself if the need arises

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've studied the Chinese martial arts and my way of survival is not based on macho tough guy. To each his own.
Yet in an earlier post, you mentioned that you were quite old and a bit infirm. That's why there's the old saying-God created man but Sam Colt made them equal.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I've studied the Chinese martial arts and my way of survival is not based on macho tough guy. To each his own.
Yet in an earlier post, you mentioned that you were quite old and a bit infirm. That's why there's the old saying-God created man but Sam Colt made them equal.

There is another adage I would like to add.

"Derby dude doesn't know what the [bleep] he is talking about".

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just looked into that Armed Citizens network and contacted one of their instructors. I guess we should all retain an attorney in the event God forbid that we ever have this happen to us.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by UPhiker

There is another adage I would like to add.

"Derby dude doesn't know what the [bleep] he is talking about".

Travis

The "Dude" seems to be missing the point, no one is advocating looking for trouble. The difference is when one is attacked one either defends him of her self or gives in to the attacker and is at the mercy of someone that has no mercy

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 26 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.