Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Why anyone guts deer is beyond me..

Up until this season in WI, it's been required to check the whole deer (guts not required) at a DNR registration center. If you've got a gutless method for that, I'm all ears. wink smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How do you get the heart out? Ribs would be a pain also perhaps?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Because in some states it's not legal to quarter them and dropping 30-50 pouds out of them by gutting makes a lot more sense than dragging the extra poundage out of the woods.

Not everyone has easy access to an atv or tractor path where they hunt and we have to drag them.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
everyone i ever hunted with in va. field dresses deer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a utility knife this would work the same.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was given one of the Hunters Edge "Switch-blade" (IIRC) for Christmas last year. Seems like a pretty cool tool for an all in one. I always just use my regular knife propped on two fingers to unzip them with ease, but may give the new gizmo a run. Damn thing is very sharp from the package.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
If you have a utility knife this would work the same.

[Linked Image]

The good ole shingle hook. Many uses, fletching removal is another.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Coyotes and birds can have my share of heart and liver... sick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's easier to get at those inside tenderloins if the guts are out and I usually save the heart. Otherwise I would not gut one at all.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you want the heart you have no choice, but otherwise, it's not that hard to get the tenderloins out with the gutless method.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

+1. Anytime I ever strolled past a gut pile days later...the coyotes had left the liver. Hmm

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The reason I do is that by the time I get through with a deer, all I want left is a bunch of bones picked so clean that what I do throw out ticks the coyotes and buzzards off.

I don't throw away the heart, liver, rib meat, flank meat, brisket, neck....etc. I could make a surprising amount of burger off of what the "no gutters" leave for the critters and I don't mind taking extra time to get it. That is just my way not to say it is better than anyone else's....just how I choose to utilize the animals I get. I was raised not to waste food.....my Dad and Grandpa really were big on it.

BTW, the shingle cutter blade....it will work but the hook on it is too narrow....kind of like the seat belt cutter only maybe worse. Plus you have to get the hair, blood, and other "stuff" out of your utility knife when you finish.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RJY66

The reason I do is that by the time I get through with a deer, all I want left is a bunch of bones picked so clean that what I do throw out ticks the coyotes and buzzards off.

I don't throw away the heart, liver, rib meat, flank meat, brisket, neck....etc. I could make a surprising amount of burger off of what the "no gutters" leave for the critters and I don't mind taking extra time to get it. That is just my way not to say it is better than anyone else's....just how I choose to utilize the animals I get. I was raised not to waste food.....my Dad and Grandpa really were big on it.

BTW, the shingle cutter blade....it will work but the hook on it is too narrow....kind of like the seat belt cutter only maybe worse. Plus you have to get the hair, blood, and other "stuff" out of your utility knife when you finish.

Other than the heart and liver. I can get everything you mentioned with gutless.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I agree on that.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heart is good, muscle meat, just a different sort of muscle. If you have a dog boil up the liver but do that when you can have the doors open, it can get pretty "fragrant." They absolutely love it. Usually it's some for me, some for the dog but each to his own. Careful removing the gall bladder, gall will make it unpalatable for people though the Sioux favored a little gall to "spice up" raw meat, particularly when winter killed buffalo floated by in the spring. sick

We always field dress, never have much of a drag if any. Then hang, cool/age, and cut up at our convenience and comfort. But our dads were meat cutters. I like a 3-1/2 to 4 inch drop point knife, fast and easy to unzip with that. Dad once had to dress one with his little and not so sharp pipe knife so it's technique more than tools. (BANG! Oh hey, did anyone bring a knife?? Wish I was there to see what happened next. grin )

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I LOVE heart. In fact my favorite breakfast after killing a deer is fried heart and eggs, with some biscuits of course.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stopped eating heart years ago.I collect them for others ,but dont eat it myself.
Gut piles never last overnight where I hunt.Usually just a bloody spot left the next day.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't get to the top of the food chain so I could eat guts. smile

But...I do save deer heart and liver for my dead hunting partner's widow. She loves it. I give her all my deer meat, so I just take the heart and liver too.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful removing the gall bladder, gall will make it unpalatable for people though the Sioux favored a little gall to "spice up" raw meat, particularly when winter killed buffalo floated by in the spring. sick

Can't speak to elk or mule deer but a whitetail does not have a gall bladder. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by milespatton
Careful removing the gall bladder, gall will make it unpalatable for people though the Sioux favored a little gall to "spice up" raw meat, particularly when winter killed buffalo floated by in the spring. sick

Can't speak to elk or mule deer but a whitetail does not have a gall bladder. miles

No whitetail don't have a gall bladder in the typical sence that would normaly attach to the liver...but they do have a urine bladder thats located inside thier pelvic cavity. I have drained and saved the piss from many of them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,077
Posts18,521,776
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.