Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ahlman's has a well-used but still mechanically sound Colt 1903 in .32, for $399. I'm not sure if they're a firm-price joint, but I suspect I could at least get a box of ammo thrown in -- but either way, the price seemed very fair to me, especially for in a shop and not online.

So, that's the first question; good price? Before anybody talks about the gun or the cartridge, I know they're both absolutely obsolete. I just like them.

Second; Do I ruin the value if I reblue? If not, is cold bluing acceptable for a whole gun like this? Never done it before, but I'd like to try. I don't mind the gun looking all beat up like it is, but it'd be a fun project.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it is already all "beat up" it is a shooter grade and will not attain collector value for another fifty or so years. If you use Oxpho-Blue you can do a pretty nice job if you take your time but will not improve value, the other stuff out there ..... well you might as well use it as is.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Gotcha. Sounds like a plan.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Do not reblue. It will kill any collector value.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If only bluing loss, and does not have any rust or pitting, then just shoot away and enjoy it. I would only trust re bluing of such a classy gun to a professional. Check out Doug Turnbulls work on this. He has done a couple outstanding restoration work on 1903's. Posted some pics on his sight lately.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20445

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5.107069502666385&type=1&theater

Last edited by hikerbum; 09/06/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Ahlman's has a well-used but still mechanically sound Colt 1903 in .32, for $399. I'm not sure if they're a firm-price joint, but I suspect I could at least get a box of ammo thrown in -- but either way, the price seemed very fair to me, especially for in a shop and not online.

So, that's the first question; good price? Before anybody talks about the gun or the cartridge, I know they're both absolutely obsolete. I just like them.

Second; Do I ruin the value if I reblue? If not, is cold bluing acceptable for a whole gun like this? Never done it before, but I'd like to try. I don't mind the gun looking all beat up like it is, but it'd be a fun project.

It all depends on the gun. If it�s just the finish that�s trashed, then the $399 is a good price. If it�s the finish and the base metal, then price all depends on how trashed the metal is. Just like anything else, you need to consider what a perfect one is worth. Then what would it cost for a good gunsmith to take it back to perfect. The delta of the two is the price.

Contrary to what people say, you don�t always lower the value by a re-blue. It all depends on the re-blue job that has been done. If the metal has been expertly prepared and the proper bluing done (I think pre-war Colt�s were all Carbonia blued), then you can greatly enhance the price.

If the gun is severely pitted, then any collector value is completely gone and it�s just a shooter. In such an instance, the addition of home cold bluing really shouldn�t affect value unless you paid too much for it in the first place.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,343
Posts18,506,168
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.