NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6843704 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: 2muchgun]
benchman Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun
Lizard Lick........ laugh Them boys are nuts and crack me up.....
I actually know the Lizard Lick crew - lifted with them in a bunch of meets. Everything else aside, they are SERIOUSLY strong folks. (including Amy, a world champion powerlifter). They are pretty good people. Ronnie Shirley is a BIIIIG dude, but was kinda puny next to his best friend, Johnny Perry, a worlds strongest man competitor. Sadly, Johnny died of a heart attack at 29. Truly a gentle giant.

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for a GREAT DEAL on a HOWA 1500 from WHITTAKERS!
#6843865 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: ltppowell]
kamo_gari Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: ltppowell
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

No joke. I mean, the portrayals of the coonarses in that show is so ridiculous. I saw a bit of one show where they even had them using plates and forks and having a few teeth left. I mean, really...

eek grin

The one thing I will say about the two episodes of YM, they show some dead critters--and a few alive, soon-to-be-dead ones. That wolverine in the trap scene had me rolling, though. "I'm going to have to stun him". Dude then takes out his handy dandy hatchet and whacks a sapling down to use as a club. He then approaches the beast all sneaky-like, then bats the thing on the forearm. Missed him by THAT much! wink

Also, this may be a trapping thing that I'm clueless about, but can predator carcasses not be used as bait for some reason? I guess I can see that a top tier local predator's smell may put off critters willing to come eagerly to a game animal's, but the part I thought a bit comical is when the guy that shot the woof hauls the skinned carcass to a ditch on the side of the river and chucks it in. "Nuttin' goes to waste out here!"

I'm with ET, though. It beats Extreme Animal Hoarders and My Bizarre Rituals with Balloons...

#6843929 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Huntz]
kamo_gari Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: Huntz
Originally Posted By: mohave_mauler1
I liked the part where they dropped a caribo in its track at about 150 yards with a .223. Just bang-flop. I'm using way to much gun on these desert mulies it turns out.

Actually I have a Inuit cousin.His big Rifle is a 223.He uses it for Caribou and Walrus.Pretty much does the job.

Works on flocks of geese on the wing, too. I saw a guy 'subsistence hunting' with one. Emptied it at a flock overhead. Got one, too. 1 for 30 ain't bad...

shocked

#6843960 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
bruinruin Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Tip of the Mitten
Originally Posted By: northern_dave
If they did more of a daily documentary style rather than a daily script for the locals to perform, I do believe it would be interesting to watch.

Stan ate his dogs to survive during a tough winter and made a set of chopper mitts out of one of his fav dogs...

Yeah, I think there is enough real "reality" there to do a show on without a fake hollywood script.

My wife gave me a wide-eyed incredulous stare when he said that. I just shrugged and pointed out that he was being practical.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

#6844000 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Ghostinthemachine]
rattler Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: NE Montana
Originally Posted By: Ghostinthemachine
Quote:
About the only "reality" show worth watching at all is Survivor Man.

That is a good show.

was listening to an interview with Les a few years ago about the time the show hit Season 3.....first season and a half he didnt have a back up crew, he just went by himself, after that Discovery insisted that there be one for safety and insurance reasons but Les said they had to stay atleast a half mile from where ever he was or he wouldnt do the show....the reason? he wanted to keep the show as real as possible and by day 3 he would do a flying tackle on a camera man if the guy had a granola bar in his pocket laugh

#6844023 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: fluffy]
Slidellkid Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Mohave Mauler - you sayin a .223 can't drop a scrawny caribou in its tracks????? Them is fightin words here on the fire!

#6844069 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: bruinruin]
kamo_gari Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: bruinruin
If they did more of a daily documentary style rather than a daily script for the locals to perform, I do believe it would be interesting to watch.

Stan ate his dogs to survive during a tough winter and made a set of chopper mitts out of one of his fav dogs...

Yeah, I think there is enough real "reality" there to do a show on without a fake hollywood script.

My wife gave me a wide-eyed incredulous stare when he said that. I just shrugged and pointed out that he was being practical.

Practical? Sheeit. In parts of the world he'd be called a gourmand!

#6844193 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: kamo_gari]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Minnesota
"stunning" the wolverine only to put a bullet hole in the hide after "stunning"..

I was cringing the whole time while he was clubbing away at the wolverine, missing him and hitting the trap and the trapped leg instead. I figured for sure he was going to knock that critter free from the trap and have a real mess on his hands.

He had an axe for pete sakes, spin it around and use the axe handle to deliver a quick and more accurate "stun". Then put a block under the critter's head to support while you give a real good finishing whack to the skull.

If you're gonna put a bullet hole in it, then just do that! Dont risk knocking it out of the trap with a log pole only to shoot it anyways!

lol!
grin

#6844201 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
AB2506 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Calgary Alberta, Canada
"stunning" the wolverine only to put a bullet hole in the hide after "stunning"..

I was cringing the whole time while he was clubbing away at the wolverine, missing him and hitting the trap and the trapped leg instead. I figured for sure he was going to knock that critter free from the trap and have a real mess on his hands.

He had an axe for pete sakes, spin it around and use the axe handle to deliver a quick and more accurate "stun". Then put a block under the critter's head to support while you give a real good finishing whack to the skull.

If you're gonna put a bullet hole in it, then just do that! Dont risk knocking it out of the trap with a log pole only to shoot it anyways!

lol!
grin

I was incredulous at that also! If you're gonna shoot it, carry a rifle and shoot from 10 ft, rather than what he did.

#6844296 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
Klikitarik Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Alaska - N63º, W162º

lol!
grin

A wolverine sure isn't like a fox you can walk to the end of the chain, or a lynx over whose neck you can slip a choking snare loop. Wolverines (and wolves) are worth a 5¢ bullet IMO. Walking into the trap circle of a live wolverine is foolishness IMO.

And firewood is a winter-long effort for many folks in the north. Transportation of such loads is generally easier when there's ice and snow. I seriously doubt the cameras, equipment, and crews would work well in tough conditions.

#6844459 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Klikitarik]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

I'm just sayin, if yer gonna club it, club it, if yer gonna shoot it, shoot it.

I prefer winter for wood cutting too.

The cutting is awesome, and the plitting is even better when cold.

"hard to cut because the trees are frozen" LMAO!!

#6844572 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: ScoutmasterRick]
JSTUART Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Land of milk & honey, for some...
Originally Posted By: ScoutmasterRick
Originally Posted By: ltppowell
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

You could re-badge old Beverly Hillbillies reruns as a reality show and they would swallow it.

They have, it is called "Big Brother"....I saw the ad acouple of nights ago.

#6844611 - 09/05/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
Klikitarik Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Alaska - N63º, W162º
I get you on that. It just seems kind of 'greenhorn' to bash a wolverine, but maybe that's just me. I don't like being within spitting distance of critters with their attitude.

And while I always like to tap winter-cut birch into halves at -20º, I can't imagine using the stuff to replenish a woodpile that has been burned through with more weeks of heat yet needed. Dead standing dry spruce sure isn't any harder to cut cold than warm and I imagine that's what they were after - or should have been. Either that or some of the millions of trees that topple into the river when the banks are eaten away during the summer.

Discovery did a nice job with Flying Wild, but that probably had a lot to do with the help of the folks they chose to center their show around. Most real "Yukon Men" wouldn't put up with the nonsense of having a camera crew traipsing in tow - or having to constantly drag their sorry asses out of the trouble they would be sure to get into. That's too bad. It could be an enlightening thing for many folks.

#6844638 - 09/06/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Klikitarik]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

Me personally, I'd be fine with a .22 short to the ticker and hope for no exit hole.

#6844733 - 09/06/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
rob p Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: rhode island
You want reality. I watched this yesterday and thought it was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVB0cpEPVA

#6888109 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: rob p]
Mfs Offline

Loc: Boston
Great post Northern Dave,
I had all of the same thoughts when watching the show. What about when the kid was yanking on the birch tree to pull up the beaver? Wouldnt it be much easier just to pull up the pieces of wood that had the snares (and beaver)? Does anyone know if the charachters get paid? I cant imagine they do this for free.

#6888137 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Mfs]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

Welcome to the campfire, I see this is your first post.

What brings ya? How did you find the forums?

#6888393 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
thin_man Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: GA
I've noticed quite a bit of the same thing pointed out in this thread. I actually enjoyed watch the Alaska guy and the Montana guy from "Mountain Men" a bit more than the "Yukon Men" show. Tom seems like a genuine guy that was more than likely told he needed to say "dangerous" and "it could kill us" to make the show.
Survivor Man is a good one IMO as was The Wild Within. I thought Steve was on to a sure thing with that show.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -Carl Sagan

#6888487 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: thin_man]
458 Lott Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Conundrum, Alaska
Dave,

You have a shop and some cool car projects. WTF were you doing wasting your time watching wanna be movie star poser "mountain men" on the idiot box?

#6888750 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Bristoe]
firepro22 Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Bristoe

I thought they were gonna give a bunch of people a pocket knife and a can of Beanie Weenie,...dump 'em on an Island, and the last one who hollered for his mama won.

LMAO

#6888776 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Klikitarik]
Huntz Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: N.E.Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Klikitarik
I get you on that. It just seems kind of 'greenhorn' to bash a wolverine, but maybe that's just me. I don't like being within spitting distance of critters with their attitude.

And while I always like to tap winter-cut birch into halves at -20º, I can't imagine using the stuff to replenish a woodpile that has been burned through with more weeks of heat yet needed. Dead standing dry spruce sure isn't any harder to cut cold than warm and I imagine that's what they were after - or should have been. Either that or some of the millions of trees that topple into the river when the banks are eaten away during the summer.

Discovery did a nice job with Flying Wild, but that probably had a lot to do with the help of the folks they chose to center their show around. Most real "Yukon Men" wouldn't put up with the nonsense of having a camera crew traipsing in tow - or having to constantly drag their sorry asses out of the trouble they would be sure to get into. That's too bad. It could be an enlightening thing for many folks.

I trap and carry a leaded pipe about 3 foot long with about 12 inches of lead in a 1" black pipe.Stoves their skulls in one hit.

#6888789 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: 458 Lott]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: 458 Lott
Dave,

You have a shop and some cool car projects. WTF were you doing wasting your time watching wanna be movie star poser "mountain men" on the idiot box?

I gotta lay off that stuff now and then too lott, I love a good reuben sammich too but I'd hate to ruin that for myself by eating em 3 times a day every day. grin

It's good to build a little hunger for your hobbies, it keeps the hobby fun and hobby-ish.

#6888849 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: thin_man]
8SNAKE Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: SW Missouri
Originally Posted By: thin_man
Survivor Man is a good one IMO as was The Wild Within. I thought Steve was on to a sure thing with that show.

I believe a disgreement over content rights brought down The Wild Within. Steve wanted more rights to the content and the producers wouldn't budge, so he left and started Meat Eater.

#6889176 - 09/19/12 Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: 8SNAKE]
thin_man Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: GA
Good for him. I haven't seen a single episode of Meat Eater because I don't get the channel. I don't watch too much TV in general but that's one show I may have to pony up and buy.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -Carl Sagan

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT SAVINGS on SUPERB TAMRON LENSES from CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
566 registered (1Deernut, 163dm, 14tools, 1234, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 1200 Guests and 357 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,465 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,204 Topics
10,001,803 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.