CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#6843929 - 09/05/12 01:33 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Huntz]
kamo_gari Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: Huntz
Originally Posted By: mohave_mauler1
I liked the part where they dropped a caribo in its track at about 150 yards with a .223. Just bang-flop. I'm using way to much gun on these desert mulies it turns out.

Actually I have a Inuit cousin.His big Rifle is a 223.He uses it for Caribou and Walrus.Pretty much does the job.

Works on flocks of geese on the wing, too. I saw a guy 'subsistence hunting' with one. Emptied it at a flock overhead. Got one, too. 1 for 30 ain't bad...

shocked

#6843960 - 09/05/12 01:43 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
bruinruin Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Tip of the Mitten
Originally Posted By: northern_dave
If they did more of a daily documentary style rather than a daily script for the locals to perform, I do believe it would be interesting to watch.

Stan ate his dogs to survive during a tough winter and made a set of chopper mitts out of one of his fav dogs...

Yeah, I think there is enough real "reality" there to do a show on without a fake hollywood script.

My wife gave me a wide-eyed incredulous stare when he said that. I just shrugged and pointed out that he was being practical.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

#6844000 - 09/05/12 01:57 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Ghostinthemachine]
rattler Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: NE Montana
Originally Posted By: Ghostinthemachine
Quote:
About the only "reality" show worth watching at all is Survivor Man.

That is a good show.

was listening to an interview with Les a few years ago about the time the show hit Season 3.....first season and a half he didnt have a back up crew, he just went by himself, after that Discovery insisted that there be one for safety and insurance reasons but Les said they had to stay atleast a half mile from where ever he was or he wouldnt do the show....the reason? he wanted to keep the show as real as possible and by day 3 he would do a flying tackle on a camera man if the guy had a granola bar in his pocket laugh

http://northeastmontananews.com/
A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

#6844023 - 09/05/12 02:04 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: fluffy]
Slidellkid Offline
Campfire Ranger

Mohave Mauler - you sayin a .223 can't drop a scrawny caribou in its tracks????? Them is fightin words here on the fire!

#6844069 - 09/05/12 02:16 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: bruinruin]
kamo_gari Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: bruinruin
If they did more of a daily documentary style rather than a daily script for the locals to perform, I do believe it would be interesting to watch.

Stan ate his dogs to survive during a tough winter and made a set of chopper mitts out of one of his fav dogs...

Yeah, I think there is enough real "reality" there to do a show on without a fake hollywood script.

My wife gave me a wide-eyed incredulous stare when he said that. I just shrugged and pointed out that he was being practical.

Practical? Sheeit. In parts of the world he'd be called a gourmand!

#6844193 - 09/05/12 02:51 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: kamo_gari]
northern_dave Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Minnesota
"stunning" the wolverine only to put a bullet hole in the hide after "stunning"..

I was cringing the whole time while he was clubbing away at the wolverine, missing him and hitting the trap and the trapped leg instead. I figured for sure he was going to knock that critter free from the trap and have a real mess on his hands.

He had an axe for pete sakes, spin it around and use the axe handle to deliver a quick and more accurate "stun". Then put a block under the critter's head to support while you give a real good finishing whack to the skull.

If you're gonna put a bullet hole in it, then just do that! Dont risk knocking it out of the trap with a log pole only to shoot it anyways!

lol!
grin

#6844201 - 09/05/12 02:53 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
AB2506 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Calgary Alberta, Canada
"stunning" the wolverine only to put a bullet hole in the hide after "stunning"..

I was cringing the whole time while he was clubbing away at the wolverine, missing him and hitting the trap and the trapped leg instead. I figured for sure he was going to knock that critter free from the trap and have a real mess on his hands.

He had an axe for pete sakes, spin it around and use the axe handle to deliver a quick and more accurate "stun". Then put a block under the critter's head to support while you give a real good finishing whack to the skull.

If you're gonna put a bullet hole in it, then just do that! Dont risk knocking it out of the trap with a log pole only to shoot it anyways!

lol!
grin

I was incredulous at that also! If you're gonna shoot it, carry a rifle and shoot from 10 ft, rather than what he did.

#6844296 - 09/05/12 03:21 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: northern_dave]
Klikitarik Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Alaska - N63, W162

lol!
grin

A wolverine sure isn't like a fox you can walk to the end of the chain, or a lynx over whose neck you can slip a choking snare loop. Wolverines (and wolves) are worth a 5 bullet IMO. Walking into the trap circle of a live wolverine is foolishness IMO.

And firewood is a winter-long effort for many folks in the north. Transportation of such loads is generally easier when there's ice and snow. I seriously doubt the cameras, equipment, and crews would work well in tough conditions.

#6844459 - 09/05/12 04:11 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: Klikitarik]
northern_dave Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Minnesota
I'm just sayin, if yer gonna club it, club it, if yer gonna shoot it, shoot it.

I prefer winter for wood cutting too.

The cutting is awesome, and the plitting is even better when cold.

"hard to cut because the trees are frozen" LMAO!!

#6844572 - 09/05/12 04:43 PM Re: "Yukon Men" another reality FAIL. [Re: ScoutmasterRick]
JSTUART Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Land of milk & honey, for some...
Originally Posted By: ScoutmasterRick
Originally Posted By: ltppowell
Same with all these shows down here, Swamp People etc. It's a shame that so many people are so far removed that they don't know the difference between reality and "reality TV".

You could re-badge old Beverly Hillbillies reruns as a reality show and they would swallow it.

They have, it is called "Big Brother"....I saw the ad acouple of nights ago.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on 2013 McKINLEYS from CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
580 registered (17Hunter, 21, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1sgLunde, 62 invisible), 1633 Guests and 335 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50166 Members
72 Forums
627844 Topics
8999583 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 04:36 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.