Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've noticed that since I've gotten older and can't see as well close up, I'm having a hard time with peep type sights. Its hard to center a pin inside a blur. I am intrigued by the Anchor sight, as it sits further from my eye and may eliminate this issue for me.

Anyone out there have experience with these things? Are there other options to still keep using peep sights? I read that using a larger peep may help, but I can't see that helping with accuracy. Maybe glasses would help, but that would bugger my distance vision. Bifocals?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Scott

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use one of these on my wheel bow,

Hind Sight

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father wears the " no line" bifocals and does'nt seem to have a problem using his peep with them, still shooting real well!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Scotty - with you, the eyes are becoming the limiting factor and it's darned annoying.

I've reduced the size of my pins to .19 max, and some down to .010. This helped cut down on the "bloom" on 30 yards and out, and it's not too bad with the dawn and dusk shots. I've also gone to a large ring sight and a large peep. The ring alignment works for me, at least for another year or two.

I've borrowed one of these to try, they work as well, but you'd need to shoot one before dropping the cash on it.

http://www.specialtyarch.com/products-page/verifiers/verifier-kits/

I liked the set-up, but it was a bit more correction than I need now, it will most likely be my next step.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Looks like I've got some experimenting to do. I wish there was a place I could see all these things in action. You're right AH64guy, it could get expensive just doing trial and error. Verifiers, clarifiers, Hind, Anchor...? Also, the season is coming fast!

Anybody know of a place in northern OH that may have these things available to try?

The Anchor and Hind sights really interest me, but I wonder if they're just gimmicks.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you can find a shop that stocks the Verifers, they usually a long strip of a card with all seven powers on it, you draw your bow and hold the draw, the shop slides the card past your eye, and you can immediately pick which power brings everything into focus.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have the same problem. My contacts are 3.25 for my nearsightedness and I wear reading glasses.Have a new Vector 32 due in next week and have bought a Black Gold Rush w/ .19 pins and 2" ring to put on it. I plan to try oversize peep as well as the Verifier that my shop recommended testing. I will let you know how it works. I may also go down to a 2.50 contact in my right eye for hunting.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Hind sight has reduced my group sizes dramatically.

I can use a peep just fine in good light. That said, I was losing 30 minutes at dawn and dusk, due to the peep.

The Hind Sight does as much to help with torquing the grip issues as the peep problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I commented (or so I thought) earlier on this, but see my post isn't here.

I've been using the Hind Sight for probably 4-5 years and while it takes a couple sessions to get used to, I really like the site.

Hated a peep site, and just like Terry light issues aren't ever a problem with it.

I have one that's like new with package that I'd be willing to sell. Not sure what it's worth, but I've got a bunch of vet bills lately and could use some extra funds.

I bought it as an extra, but have never used it. Shoot me a pm if interested. If it didn't work out and it was returned in the same condition I'd refund your money minus postage.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Scotty,
I started out with the knock off of the Anchor Sight made by, I think, Timberline.
It sure worked and I was spot on on my shots on deer from tree stand hight at steep angles as well as out to 30 yds. (My personal limit).
But I kept reading the information on the original Anchor Sight and wanted to try one for two reasons. One to truly eliminate the rear peep. (I had mine put back in with the timberline due to its less than perfect ability to align). And second, I wanted to go to a one pin sight which is possible using the method described in the papers that come with the Anchor Sight.
All the write ups I read seem to be spot on with the positive feed back I am getting using mine.
I am a one arrow practice shooter now. To risky shooting at the same bull with multiple arrows. The thing shows the slightest hand torque and or your geometry to the bow when you tilt over to shoot down out of a stand.
The thing shows up in low light well past legal here.
I like the one pin sight and not needing a rear peep.
Very happy with mine.
It is not as small diameter as the timberline but it is much more accurate in my situation on my Alpine Denali.
I felt like I was cheating due to the improvement in my accuracy, but the reality is I was just now able to see the variables in my hold and correct them before the release.
They will take it back if you don't like it. Doesn't get better than that.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the input folks. There's a fair amount of buzz on ArcheryTalk about Perry's no peep sights. Any thoughts on these?
They're pretty pricey though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i use an anchor sight on my bow and really do like it...my vision is still good, but it helps me get my anchor and for ready faster...and i know that no matter what angle im shooting that im using the exact same anchor as my pins were set at

CM2(scw) USN Seabees

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,918
Posts18,498,417
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.