Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, still no game. I still call it a successful trip though. This was my first time hunting blacktail deer out of Prince William Sound, and to say the scenery is breathtaking would be a gross understatement. I went with two friends, one of whom owns a 23' cuddy cabin boat. I pulled the boat with my truck, since mine is a 3/4 Diesel and his half - ton gas truck doesn't pull it very well.

We launched out of Whittier and tried Perry Island first, since someone told Dan, the boat owner there are deer there. His source was wrong - we hiked all over the island from bottom to top and there was not a single game trail. There were, however, beautiful views and it was a great day for a hike.

We got back to the boat and headed further out to Naked Island, where Dan had previously seen deer sign. He was right about this one - plenty of deer sign everywhere, and a lot of it fresh. We set up camp and set out the next morning. There were game trails criss-crossing themselves everywhere, and we had my friend David, another NCO in my unit set up in an area where he could overlook the hillside below while Dan and I climbed to circle the hilltop, and hopefully push some deer around to where David could get a shot at them. No luck though - there are no other predators on the island besides hunters, so the deer have gotten pretty good at evading us.

I suggested we try a different tactic that evening, so we all set up on bedding areas we had found while hiking around about 2 hours before sundown. We all chose different bedding areas, and checked the wind for best position, then watched the bedding areas until last shooting light had passed. None of us saw any deer, but we learned something about their ability to detect and avoid us, and we'll change our tactics next time. We're planning another attempt in October, during the rut. It's legal to take both bucks and does then too.

I was in awe of the scenery the entire trip, we were blessed with beautiful weather and I had the pleasure of carrying the finest rifle I've ever owned, thanks to a huge number of generous folks right here. Here are a couple of pictures, and a link to more on my photobucket account:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the link to see more, including some Orca pics:

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s169/Toyuzu/Prince%20William%20Sound%20Alaska%202012/

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friends, diesel trucks, big boats, custom rifles - I wouldn't even want to squeeze a shot off.

Fabulous pics, thanks for sharing.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mako25
Friends, diesel trucks, big boats, custom rifles - I wouldn't even want to squeeze a shot off.

+100

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wunderbar! Thanks for sharing.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good heavens, that is incredible scenery.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by McInnis

Yes it is, the middle photo is surreal, is that all moss covered rocks?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a hard time reconciling the fact that some lucky sod has access to country like that.
I am green with envy....and pleased that someone can live the dream.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice writeup, I love spending time in the sound. Blacktails are tough to hunt early in the season, especially given how much hunting pressure they recieve and how much snow we had this past winter.

I hope your buddy at least brought some shrimp pots.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I can't even begin to express how jealous I am. I was always envious of you folks having never been to Alaska. After having seen parts of it this summer, well.......

I keep telling my wife that with her degrees in Earth Science she could probably secure a job at the Uni in Fairbanks. My resume will open doors pretty much anywhere. A guy can dream grin .

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Matt, your pictures and descriptive words make it almost like being there. almost............. dang I wish I was right now. laugh

Sam......

IC B3

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I will be in Fairbanks in 3 days and spend about 10 days looking for a bull moose. Has to be 48 inch or 4 brow tines or better. Problably won't get one but thats ok to. Good luck on your next hunt. ED

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Matt! Beauty!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shreck

On that particular island (Naked Island) - who knows where that name originated. It's FAR from naked, with all it's scenery, jungle - like plants, and an abundance of animal sign; the moss covers literally everything. It's like a rain forest.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Nice writeup, I love spending time in the sound. Blacktails are tough to hunt early in the season, especially given how much hunting pressure they recieve and how much snow we had this past winter.

I hope your buddy at least brought some shrimp pots.

You know, he actually had a few pots, but we never dropped them. We sere concentrating on deer and sight - seeing on this trip. He did say he's had success before with shrimp though. Maybe next time we'll drop the pots.

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 09/11/12.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by eh76
Thanks Matt! Beauty!

I am humbled by the accolades of one far more experienced than I - thank you!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Matt, your pictures and descriptive words make it almost like being there. almost............. dang I wish I was right now. laugh

Well Sir, jobs are plentiful here, and game is too. So when are you moving up? wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matt you have a great rifle,beautiful scenery,no quarry yet "but two outta three ain't bad"..enjoy these days for they disappear in a heart beat..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Flem! I agree. I am savoring every minute of time I have in the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness. I'm hiking yet another mountian tomorrow morning with one of the guys who was with me on this last trip.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mako25

I agree, except I confess - we did squeeze off a few shots. The hike to the top of Perry Island was.... challenging, to put it mildly. The rifles suffered some rough treatment on the steep slopes, so we verified scope zero when we got to a safe place to shoot. Those Redfield optics are still spot - on! You gotta love Leupold quality!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Originally Posted by shreck

On that particular island (Naked Island) - who knows where that name originated. It's FAR from naked, with all it's scenery, jungle - like plants, and an abundance of animal sign; the moss covers literally everything. It's like a rain forest.

well it is a rain forrest ,we have a little grinof that stuff on the west coast of Vancouver Island as well,not so open under brush wise ,Beautiful spot

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.