Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 30 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Folks,

This took a little more to put together than I'd anticipated but the Remington 788 243 is all wrapped up and headed for the Post Office today!

Trinton's (with an i) mother has approved and is very excited. It will be a complete surprise for him and looking forward to hearing about his hunts this fall!

The whole package will consist of the scoped rifle, a daypack with a bunch of stuff, a rifle sling, a rifle case, a pair of BINS etc. A real good start. Joe located an FFL to do the transfer for $15 and we're still short some ammo or reloading dies and components. What else would a guy need?

If anyone wants to jump in here with any more ideas or assistance feel free to contact Joe6555 or myself. It's been great to be a part of this and will be good to see this extra rifle in the hands of a deserving young man. A big thanks to the other folks that have pitched in on this! OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just wanted to give you all un update about James (Boy #2).

I spent the last couple of weeks with James, and in addition to some backpacking and camping, we did some shooting and visited a couple of gun stores. I was surprised by how little the recoil on the 308 Win and 270 Win we were shooting bothered him, so that opened up more options than I had expected. When we went to the stores, it turned out that the rifles he liked best were the Tikka T3 and the T/C Venture.

Of the two, though, he *really* liked the Tikka best--it just shouldered well, and he loved the slick bolt. I noticed when we were at Gander Mtn. that there was a used (but great condition) Tikka T3 Hunter in 270 Win for sale for $450 (he liked the wood stock better than synthetic). I spoke with AlaskanMatt, and it turned out he was able to get the rifle a bit early, and so he went ahead and got him that rifle--I picked it up from the store on the sly. Other than taking advantage of a really good deal, the logic was that by getting it a little early he'd have more time to practice with the rifle and would be better prepared for the November hunting trip. Keep in mind that he didn't even know that he was going to be getting a rifle, but just thought we were window shopping, so to speak...

There were some other people who--when I told them about it--were so moved by the generosity of the members of the 'fire that they also asked to chip in somehow, and one of them got the rings for the scope. As soon as the rings arrived I mounted the scope & bore sighted it. We went to go shooting at the range on Saturday, and then I told James that I had been talking with his granddad, who thought that James probably shouldn't shoot his rifle so much anymore...(his face fell)...because now he had his very own rifle! (his face registered shock and incomprehension!)

Then I explained that this was not a gift from me or anyone in his family, but from a very generous soldier serving right now in Afghanistan! And more than that, there was a whole crowd of generous people who had pooled together to equip him for a deer hunt over Thanksgiving--the scope on the rifle, hard case, beautiful hunting knife, the reloading press and other reloading equipment (which I had shown him how to use and which he had assumed was mine), some additional reloading supplies & ammo his granddad & I included, a filled up hunting pack, the hunting shirt, and on & on. He was really speechless!

Here are a few pics of James with the rifle, and with me and his granddad. I look forward to completing this story (and showing more pictures) when he goes on his first deer hunting trip!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I took him out shooting it, and he put the first 3 rounds right around an inch with factory loaded Federal Fusion 130 gr--I hope that doesn't weaken his desire to handload! grin

Honestly guys, I'm more grateful to you all than I can really express for your generosity, and also for the opportunity you have given me to present this fine young man with such a great gift! I wish you could have gotten to see the expression on his face...

FYI, his thank-you note will be posted here very shortly!

Last edited by dclayton; 07/02/12.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is the note from James ("Sargent" is you, AlaskanMatt! smile):

Dear Sargent and others,

Thank you so much for the rifle. I tested it out with my uncle and
it was great!
The action is smooth, the stock is comfortable, and it just feels good overall.
I am also so thankful for the scope, rifle case, backpack, knife,
hunting clothes, reloading equipment, and every
else thing that was given to me. I can't wait to use them all!

Sincerely,
James

I forgot to mention what a fine outdoorsman James struck me as when we did our backpacking (though I am biased smile)--even though there were numerous little setbacks, each time he said--"actually, I think it's better that XXX happened" (rain, etc.). Always upbeat, which goes a long way to loving the outdoors with all its unpredictability! He also got to eat his first MRE, which he was really excited about! They're not so nice to eat 24/7, but just one is pretty exciting smile In any case, he's totally ready to be out in the woods...

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice D and the smile on James' face says it all.

That rifle should serve him very well for a very long time and if he doesn't hit what he's shooting at it won't be because of the rifle.
I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Everyone who helped out here deserves to feel great about what they've done.

D, I still have a package to send you containing the lens cap for the spotting scope, the cap for the RCBS measure, and the large rotor and stem for the same measure.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another wonderful gift guys and another round of applause.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great, thanks nsaqam--those will all come in handy!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got back from a convoy to find this fantastic news, what a way to lift my tired soul on our nation's Independence Day! I feel honored to have been a part of the gifts for James. He is a very deserving youth, and I know he will put his new hunting kit to excellent use!

dclayton - thanks for tipping us off about James!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just a quick update on the .243 for Trinton. I have received the rifle from Oregontripper, a case from Mallardaddict, binoculars from Vortex, three boxes of once fired brass from Oregonmuley, and a sling from ernies (local). Still have a few items coming, but anybody who has something extra they might want to add would be welcome. There is a slight glitch that will hold giving the rifle to Trinton up a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to being able to give him this package as I know he will be thrilled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw your thread and have been thinking on something like this myself. I guy at my club has an autistic kid with Chrohns disease. He gets dehydrated and has to be hospitalized once in a while. They just removed some of his bowels and he's home from the hospital. I've had stomach problems since I was a kid and feel for him. I wanted to do a dinner at my club for him. We're booked with 2 functions and a Vietnam memorial benefit this Summer and nobody wants to do it. I'm bummed. The kid is home recovering and one of his particular little quirks is that he is good with numbers, geometry, and the like. He's also a "stat monkey" and can tell you pretty much any athlete's particulars. I thought of getting him a lap top or an I pad and a subscription to that train your brain website you see on tv (neuroplasticity stuff). I can't even follow it on tv, but I bet it'd keep him busy. He doesn't hunt or fish. His outdoor experience is pretty much riding his bike, but he's going to be in bed for a while, I believe.

I could go out and buy it for the kid, but I don't know if his Father would let him take it. My family would be a bit miffed to see a week's pay go away. I have been wondering if any electronics stores would give me a considerable discount because of the situation. It would make things easier to explain. I'd like to do something for the kid. I really would, but not get my family on my back or offend his with a big gift. I've been mulling this over for a while. I'm not great at it and most of the time, when I try to do something for someone, it flies back in my face somehow.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

smile smile smile smile smile ............for you !

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I haven't been on here in forever! Glad to see the ball rolling with so many others!

Good on you guys! well done!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'll do the transfer for free in the St. Louis, MO area if this keeps up. Sharpshutr

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
After a number of delays, I finally got the .243 rifle delivered to Trinton. He is one happy young man! I will get some pictures up in the next few days.

I want to thank everybody who donated to this thread. I am an old guy set in his ways, who is very particular about who I hunt with, but I would be proud to share a campfire with any of you generous gents.

Thanks,
Joe

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Awesome news, thanks for the update Joe! I look forward to the pics.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think Trinton's smile shows his thanks to all the great folks involved which are listed in previous posts. Also like to thank Malm for coming through for us...

One thing for sure - Joe really came through and pulled this together for Trinton. What a great guy! Thanks Joe and everyone else and good luck to Trinton come deer season!

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, that's an awesome sight to see! Congratulations (and thanks) are due to all those who contributed, and God bless you for your generosity!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hopefully in November we can get some pictues from a successful hunt. I don't know that he could be happier, but shooting a deer would definitely be icing on the cake.

Thanks to Paul W. for starting this forum. I just hope it can continue, as it is a great idea and it definitely makes some kids' day.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i just want to thank everyone for continuing on with what i considered was a simple gesture of good will to a kid... Good on y'all!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
if he needs a knife i have a bunch of extras...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
mjbgalt, if that was meant for Trinton, one of the great guys here on the fire already donated one. I believe there is still a gun in the process of being readied for another youngster though.

Page 26 of 30 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 3 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.