Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tell you what: I'll write an article about it, and you'll be able to read it pretty soon.

How did we ever get by before the internet era?

Now we have constant real-time access to people who are experts in the field when they make themselves available and suggestions are instantly digested and evaluated.

I love the internet. For the most part.

Last edited by jimbo202; 09/11/12.
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
First, it dawned on me finally that you marry your wife for life, but rifles and shotguns just ain't so.

If it turns your crank and you've got the cash, buy it.
If no cash, trade for it.
If neither, go to work instead.

I've know a lot of guys who kept guns longer than they kept their wives. crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't have separate checking accounts then you don't have trust. One of the hardest things on a marriage is a joint checking account. The next hardest is only having a shared credit card. I buy what I can afford, not what we can afford and so does she. Been working just fine for 39 years now.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Skidrow
If you don't have separate checking accounts then you don't have trust. One of the hardest things on a marriage is a joint checking account. The next hardest is only having a shared credit card. I buy what I can afford, not what we can afford and so does she. Been working just fine for 39 years now.

My wife and I have had joint bank accounts and credit cards (no individual accounts) for 45 years. There have been tense times, but its worked - so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To a certain degree I envy you. We had a joint account for about 6 months and then she bounced a check. It got pretty intense. That was the end of the joint account. The up side is that it doesn't matter what I bring in the door as long as I pay for it.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I worked at the gun counter for quite a few years and a lot of young guys would come in to buy a shotgun. They'd look at the good ones and then start to move down to the cheaper ones. I'd ask them if they had a girlfriend, they almost always did. I'd ask them if they had a pickup, they almost always did. Then I told them that when they were old men, they'd have the shotgun, but certainly not the pickup, and probably not the girlfriend. They usually bought the good gun, not the cheap one. Same thing goes for girl friends and wives as goes for shotguns, get the good one.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Can I quote you on that?

Parallels my experience....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I worked at the gun counter for quite a few years and a lot of young guys would come in to buy a shotgun. They'd look at the good ones and then start to move down to the cheaper ones. I'd ask them if they had a girlfriend, they almost always did. I'd ask them if they had a pickup, they almost always did. Then I told them that when they were old men, they'd have the shotgun, but certainly not the pickup, and probably not the girlfriend. They usually bought the good gun, not the cheap one. Same thing goes for girl friends and wives as goes for shotguns, get the good one.
Bfly

This is worth repeating. Good one!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta remember that one!

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I have shared accounts, and have for the past 15 years of marriage. Since I am military and deploy quite often she is over paying the bills, etc., as internet access to pay bills with is not always avaialable. Do I wish I had more money to buy toys with, damn right. My wife doesn't nag too much, and I have found out over time if I let her have what she wants, I usally get what I want. Right now money is tight, as she is in grad school, and we are paying out of pocket while raising two boys. When she is done with grad school, she'll probably make more than I will, unitl I retire from the AF and get a real job. I have a seperate savings account that was meant for my toy purchases, funny thing though, it's gone to repair a crown this year and other emergencies. I am getting it back to where it was, and will have enough money by Christmas to buy a new toy if I want one. that being said, when she is back in the working force, we have each said we will have a seperate toy account a to not bother our joint money for paying the mortgage, etc.

Last edited by Hudge; 09/16/12.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It took a while to get to this point; we have now been married (to each other) for 33 years. My wife accepts that I am a rifle loony, and she has learned enough about guns through the years that we can have conversations about the pros and cons of various guns, even though she doesn't share my passion.

As a result, a good portion of the fun of buying a new-to-me gun is sharing the experience with my wife. She is happy for me when I am excited about a new acquisition. I try to be happy for her when she is excited about something. I know more about quilting then I ever expected to, but it is a two-way street.

In fact, after a discussion about a particular gun that is available, she may cast the deciding vote and tell me to get it. Her attitude is that life is short and we should all do what we like to do while we can still do it.

Mutual respect, acceptance of the whole person, and trust have worked out well for us.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,284 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,212
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.