Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
anybody on the forum live there.

I'll be there for 8 hours, on a cruse

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Are you stopping anywhere else in southeast?

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Are you stopping anywhere else in southeast?

yes Juneau on the 24th and Skagway on the 25th,SKAGWAY WE ARE GOING TO DO THE WHITE PASS railway ride ,always wanted to do it

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For 8 years, but not now. Enjoy

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just came back from there....great place to visit.....bring your rain coat.....seems it rains 365 days a year there.

There's a 1950's restaurant somewhere there....don't remember the name of the place but a great place to eat....someone will update this with a name I'm sure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
. . . seems it rains 365 days a year there.

I really only rains 29 out of 30 days in September and 30 out of 31 days in October. I always try to draw mule deer or elks tags down south for those months.

Thunder and hail last night at my place. That was pretty freaky for this late in the year and being this cold.

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just came back from there....great place to visit.....bring your rain coat.....seems it rains 365 days a year there.

There's a 1950's restaurant somewhere there....don't remember the name of the place but a great place to eat....someone will update this with a name I'm sure.

were you there on a cruse,

much to see that is really interesting ??

norm

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The salmon should be in the creek on the "so-called" South side of town. You can see a few black bears down there chasing the salmon in the evenings. There is a river that runs through town and salmon are stacked in there fairly well also.

The dock where you get off the cruise ship is close to all the jewelry stores and crap fest, if you get farther to the right as you get off the ship, you will find the old part of town and it is more interesting. The Hardware store and sporting goods store there by the dock is worth a look as well.

muledeer, AKA Dennis Neill, lives there in Ketchikan, you might try to contact him. He has been battling cancer, but may still be well enough now to meet you.

I liked Ketchikan, my son lived there for several years and we went up there quite regularly. I would not live there, but 8 hours sure won't hurt you a bit...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by norm99

were you there on a cruse,

norm

NO....got on the ferry (M/V Taku) and went to Kake for a spell of fishing....I stayed in Ketchikan over night on the way back before my flight left for Seattle. I bought dry ice there...great place but didn't see much of it in a day!

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The salmon should be in the creek on the "so-called" South side of town. You can see a few black bears down there chasing the salmon in the evenings. There is a river that runs through town and salmon are stacked in there fairly well also.

The dock where you get off the cruise ship is close to all the jewelry stores and crap fest, if you get farther to the right as you get off the ship, you will find the old part of town and it is more interesting. The Hardware store and sporting goods store there by the dock is worth a look as well.

muledeer, AKA Dennis Neill, lives there in Ketchikan, you might try to contact him. He has been battling cancer, but may still be well enough now to meet you.

I liked Ketchikan, my son lived there for several years and we went up there quite regularly. I would not live there, but 8 hours sure won't hurt you a bit...

thanks Shrapnel,not to interested in the TOUREST trap stuff just the history,i''ll try looking up muledeer

norm

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Totem poles are cool. I'd take a float plane trip to the Misty if weather is right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Totem poles are cool. I'd take a float plane trip to the Misty if weather is right.

Go see the world's tallest one in Kake....IIRC it's 123' tall

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Go see the world's tallest one in Kake....IIRC it's 123' tall

and here British Columbia <being saying for years that they had the tallest one in the world.i'll have to google that one . confused grin

where or what is Kake,Misty i'll google that one too

norm

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Misty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Fiords_National_Monument

The totem pole in Kake is likely the tallest thing around since the natives have clear cut everything.

Kake is on Kupreanof Island, not exactly a little trip.

The best Ketchikan has to offer is all outside Ketchikan.

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Misty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Fiords_National_Monument

The totem pole in Kake is likely the tallest thing around since the natives have clear cut everything.

Kake is on Kupreanof Island, not exactly a little trip.

The best Ketchikan has to offer is all outside Ketchikan.

i'am starting to get that pic. small village ,access boat, plane or a cold swim.
what was it noted for ?and why did you spend so much time there ?military??

norm

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ketchikan has about 8,000 people and some of the best bars around (though a few of the really good ones are gone).

I was stationed about 25 miles outside of Ketchikan, same island, but the only way to get to us was via boat or float plane. Done a few goat hunts on the mainland as well as the island. A float plane trip out of town is nice if the weather is right. You'll most certainly see some goats.

Salmon fishing is her claim.

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
8000,is a good number must have a good fish industry to support that ,do they log and mine as well? i guess cruse ships bring in lots of fish to get hooked as well grin

sounds like the bars take the cream of the catch like in the gold rush days.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The locals love the Eagle mooning them as they come to downtown...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

norm99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
steelhead .just googled it there is now 13700 residents ,they say second largest cruse port in AL,tough to decide which activites to do ,thanks all for your replies

norm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.