Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm in the market for some new tires on my '07 Silverado. I'm currently running General Grabbers which were pretty decent.

Someone told me this Cooper AT/3 is a good truck tire.

Anybody have 'em?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
The family owned tire shop I deal with claims they've had issues with them (and many other Cooper models) going out of balance often. The Coopers on my wife's mini van seem to support their claim as do the nearly new AT3's on a co-workers' truck. He's actually replacing the Coopers with another brand as the tire shop can't get them to balance.

I wanna like Coopers, but what I'm seeing and hearing about them these days makes me leery.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I'm in the market for some new tires on my '07 Silverado. I'm currently running General Grabbers which were pretty decent.

Anybody have 'em?

Been running GM 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4wd's for, well almost 40 years. The best all around tires I have found are on two of my pickups currently--Firestone Transforce in 10 ply. I believe they make them in 6 ply also. They weren't all that expensive either--but I also run 16 inch rims. Tires for 17 and 20 inch rims do cost more.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I wanna like Coopers, but what I'm seeing and hearing about them these days makes me leery.

Coopers used to be my go-to tires but got bought out by China a while back, and had issues (resulting in recalls of some tires). The last pair I had were junk. They allegedly have addressed the problems, but I still ain't hearing good things.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I ran a set of Coopers on my Toyota p/u for a couple years and honestly wasn't at all impressed with them.
Personally I prefer the BF Goodrich AT or MT myself.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One blew on my truck, cost maybe a couple thousand in damages IIRC. Lucky I had never had a flat on that one, as they say with a tire patch inside all claims are denied, as was they paid my body shop in full.

I run michelin now....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I like Toyo Open Country. I have had good luck with them over the years.

They certainly aren't cheap, especially for 20's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i had coopers on my truck and they didn't last anytime. don't like them.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The guys that I know with the AT/3's are not very happy with them. Decent when new but they are not holding up on the diesel trucks. They'll last longer on a gas truck or a half ton but there are better options out there.

I just put a set of BF Goodrich AT's on my Duramax. They were all I used to run but I haven't had them for a few years. They ride great, are pretty quiet, and hopefully will last.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Anybody have 'em?

Man go with the Toyo Open Country AT you will not be disappointed in Toyo... cool

"Hey hold my beer while I shoot this buck"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AllisonXTB

Anybody have 'em?

Man go with the Toyo Open Country AT you will not be disappointed in Toyo... cool
i thought you ran 22's on your caprice classic. laugh

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
Originally Posted by AllisonXTB

Anybody have 'em?

i thought you ran 22's on your caprice classic. laugh

No I drive a lifted F-250 and run 20x10 Mazzi Hulk chrome wheels with 10 ply 35-125020 Falken Wild Peak AT which is also a bad arse tire... The Caprice is lifted on 24's with skinny tires,,, laugh laugh laugh

"Hey hold my beer while I shoot this buck"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they use the cooper 10 ply on the north slope trucks in these parts... were talkin trucks with 8000 to 22000 hours on them! (2005/2006 model chevy 2500hd's and 3500hd's) ..got to give the duamax a thumbs up. i have used them since the early 90's ...on every thing i got.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've had BFG's, Bridgestone Revo's, Coopers, Generals, Dunlops, Michelins, and Firestones on my trucks.
Out of those, the BFG's probably lasted the longest, but like Coopers, took a tackle box worth of lead to keep them in balance.
After a BFG let its tread loose and did $3500 in damage to the truck, I sure wasn't buying any more of those.
Coopers, Generals, Dunlops didn't last.
Revo's came highly recommended and were great to start with, but like Michelins, got a little slippery even in the wet once worn in. The sidewalls are mushy on both too.
Firestones last a long time, and in E rating, the Destination AT is quiet, and took very little weight for a 285. The sidewalls are strong but the ride is good. I did a lot of online comments research on them before buying (damn if all these aren't getting REALLY expensive), and all of the folks riding on Destinations are really happy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Anybody have 'em?
I got nothing good to say about Coopers anymore. Get some Michelins from Sam's Club or if you don't feel like you can afford them get Goodyear Wranglers. Only get truck tires and eschew the car tires they put on trucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had them, Bridgestone Duelers, Generals and now Hankooks. I was pretty happy with all but the Generals. My lease is mesquite and rocks and very hard on tires. I did get a couple flats with the Coopers but I lowered my air pressure (to what it should be) and got no more. It was VERY tough to get a plug through the belts on the Cooper - and the repair man who patched it commented on how tough they were too - so, a good thing. I just switched over to the Hankooks- but not from being dissatisfied with Coopers. I got a flat from what appears to have been a rock in the center of my Hankook- almost new- and had to trash the tire. I easily slipped a plug in it but it was likely due to the hole being large. The plug lasted till about an hour after I got home. It is a good AT tire as far as rugged looks go.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dont' drive my big truck much,IE I can't recall what the name was of the tire model, what I can add about the michelins I"m happy with right now is they are more or less a commercial grade tire that was around 1400 for 4 of them. Supposed to run 100k miles. Also from what I"ve heard is that they are somewhat flat proof, ranchers in south tx say they have run them 60-80K miles without ever getting a flat in mesquite country.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Coopers used to be my go-to tires but got bought out by China a while back, and had issues (resulting in recalls of some tires). The last pair I had were junk. They allegedly have addressed the problems, but I still ain't hearing good things.

Casey

Cooper Tire has plants in China and they sell tires worldwide, but they are most definitely an American company trading on the New York Stock exchange under symbol "CTB"

They've recently seen rapid sales growth - and stock price appreciation - both here and abroad, while their competitors results have been stagnant.

Click Here

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last 2 sets of tires I had on my 1994 Dodge 2500 were Coopers and I loved them. The AT3's were fantastic for me and they had a lot of tread left when I sold the truck and the tires had 30,000 miles on them. I got 60,000 miles out of my first set of Coopers.

I have Toyo Open Country AT tires on my new truck as thats what was on it when I bought it and so far they are great as well.

I would not be afraid to buy another set of Coopers

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for all the replies. I currently have 53,000 on my General Grabbers. P265/70R 17 I really liked the look of this tire. They are similar to BFG AT's in appearance but cheaper to buy.

They are wore pretty good but I also drive A LOT of gravel each day.

What is a good tire for gravel roads with the occasional sharp rock? Or is 53,000 pretty good?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,839
Posts18,478,119
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.