Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
what case do you guys use in the field,
do you carry in pack or separate case with tripod?

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I carry the angled Swore 65 mm in the one internal separate compartment next to my back with the Slik mini tripod next to it. This is in a Kifau KU5200 ultralight pack. I use the stock objective lens cap on the front and cut a hole in the top of a neoprene cozy cooler cover (beer can sock) to slip over the eyepiece and secure it by hooking the hole over the "sight-tube" on the Swaro. Works well and is light. The factory Swaro eye piece cover is too light and won't stay on.

I have an aftermarket neoprene scope cover that is nice but very bulky. I just got back from a 14 day stone sheep backpack hunt and space and weight is at a premium so you discard anything that you don't need. As it is I take 8 pounds of optics/tripod plus a 5 pound bow and arrow.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I was thinking either a crooked horn case or the cabelas snug rug.
They both carry the spotter and tripod together
Anyone have any opinions on these ?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Heavy to pack. The Swaro is rubberized. I don't baby mine and it will likely outlast me. I could care less about resale as long as I don't damage the optics. The rubberized coating shows some shiny spots after 26 days days sheep hunting and many more spotting from the truck and quad and backpack. The cases are probably fine if you have room and don't mind the weight.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just drop mine in a fleece bag one of my wife's friends sewed up for me and throw it in one of the outside pockets on my pack. I keep the tripod separate and like Kurt52 said it is rubberized and damn durable.

"RLTW"
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don't baby any of my stuff but do take a little extra care with my Swaro spotter. All I use for protection is the Swaro brand stay on cover. They are spendy and overpriced, but if you hunt around you can usually find a decent deal. I mostly carry it strapped on the outside of my pack with the tripod still on.

My brother covered his Cabelas Euro with that Camo Form wrap. That's really all that's needed to protect the scope body, and doesn't add anything for bulk or weight. I care more about protecting the glass than I do the body.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't worry at all about the body on my Swaro. After all, as others have said, it's heavily rubberized. The modified beer cozy is a good idea for the eye-piece that I'll look at trying. Up 'til now I've just pulled an old cushy wool sock over the eyepiece and focus ring and placed it in the pack such that there was no way the eye-piece or objective lens caps could get worked loose, and called it good. Seconds as a field expedient mitten.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use the Cabela's neoprene cover and Snug Rug for transporting and general glassing from the rig. I am not made of $$$ and I do all I can to protect my STS65HD. When I'm hiking/packing in I just use their neoprene cover while attached to the tripod lashed to my Eberlestock. It's cheap insurance for one of my most prized investments.

7mm-375Ruger
Stiller TAC 300
Broughton 5C 9tw @ 28"
Jewell Trigger
Greybull Precision stock
180VLD @ 3145fps
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The King cover is a cheap alternative to the Swaro cover. Not as elegant but about 23% the cost. Too thick for backpacking in my opinion but great in the truck or on the quad. And by the way, my stone sheep DIY back pack hunt cost $60 for the tag, and the price to drive "up-north" in BC. I realize that I am lucky to live here!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use no cover on mine. The Swaro rep tossed one across the room and let it land on the floor to show how durable they are with no cover. It wasn't his personal scope, but ...

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use an old pillow case for my Zeiss..Cheap, light and works well.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,379
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.