Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had one for a while but moved it on because it kept short stroking the primer and misfiring. Returned it to the importer here & they replaced the firing pin spring & increased the firing pin protrusion.

Next session at the range it did the same thing - every 3rd shot or so. That was with both Norma & RWS brass. That was enough for me........

Shame though - it had the makings of a good rifle.

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
There are some gun on gunbroker. Tropgun.com has one of a limited bunch with upgraded walnut.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine came back from McMillan earlier this week sporting a nice MK-II Classic McWoody

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is it just my eye or is the barrel a hair on the skookum side for a 9.3? Damned nice looking rifle.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I was just notified this evening that Bud's Gun Shop has them in again. Early last month I asked to be notified when they arrived but, I ordered a CZ 550 American with Kevlar stock that will be in tomorrow.

I really like the ruger african's but you will not regret buying that CZ550 american.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scotts94-, specifically which stock is that--I like it--and the McM website is not very intuitive to me.

I have an African I'm thinking of getting a syn stock for. Thanks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Mine came back from McMillan earlier this week sporting a nice MK-II Classic McWoody

[Linked Image]

I like that. You guys are making me have evil thoughts of turning my new to me tang safety 270 into a 9.3x62mm.... eek:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Scotts94-, specifically which stock is that--I like it--and the McM website is not very intuitive to me.

I have an African I'm thinking of getting a syn stock for. Thanks.

It is the Ruger MK-II Classic stock pattern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. i'll look for that.

D
D
I just figured out why some 9.3's misfire. I had a 9.3x66 Sako chambered in a new Win 70 rifle. Using factory Sako brass imported from England, I experienced a lot of misfires, especially with new unfired Sako cases. Fire-forming helped but did not eliminate the problem. Using a headspace gauge, I noticed that even when loaded at the correct headspace, rounds which misfired always had shoulders pushed back somtimes as much as 0.008-0.015". I was pulling my hair out wondering why. I took a perfectly fire-formed case with the spent primer still in, chambered it, and dropped the hammer on the the spent case. I was shocked to find that the force of the firing pin blow actually drove/swaged the case further into the chamber creating excessive headspace. The energy of the firing pin strike was driving the shallow shouldered 9.3x66 case further forward into the chamber instead of detonating the primer. When I repeated the test, I discovered that successive pin strikes would drive the case deeper and deeper as far as 0.030" with 4 or 5 successive dry fires. 0.015" of forward travel is more than enough to cause a misfire. I will try different barnds of brass to see if the Sako brass may be to "soft".

Looking at chamber diagrams, I suspect the same thing may be happening to cause misfires with the 9.3x62, and 35 Whelen, both of which have small shallow shoulders. By the way, this "case swaging" didn't happen with a .308 Win or .375 Ruger. What does the group think? Does that make sense? It happened to me.

IC B3

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lets Talk >and get away from the Cap Buff > bull [bleep]! The more the Game is Hunted the more it runs or attacks thats It ! Take it as you will!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tackdriver22250
I've been looking for one for some time now and I can't find one anywhere. Hopefully they're still making them.

It's old pre-WWI cartridge suitable for close to medium range hunting. Few years back LGS had German semi-auto sporter with synthetic stock in this caliber. It was basically same gun as Browning-chester 'Vulcan' or Benelli semi-auto centerfire sporting rifle. That is what I would look for instead. The advantage being you can focus on shooting and not working the bolt between shots. That is huge advantage especially against running game.

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I dont think you want one> the way the 375 Ruger has been locking UP! from High pressure a [bleep] construction! of the Gun.

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have read the bolt parts have been falling apart and locking up the breech of the gun before even shooting it!>> thinken where were these Guns Made???????

Last edited by bcd; 08/03/13.
B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
But the machine rolls on and tells you every thing is Good!

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dr_Mac
I just figured out why some 9.3's misfire. I had a 9.3x66 Sako chambered in a new Win 70 rifle. Using factory Sako brass imported from England, I experienced a lot of misfires, especially with new unfired Sako cases. Fire-forming helped but did not eliminate the problem. Using a headspace gauge, I noticed that even when loaded at the correct headspace, rounds which misfired always had shoulders pushed back somtimes as much as 0.008-0.015". I was pulling my hair out wondering why. I took a perfectly fire-formed case with the spent primer still in, chambered it, and dropped the hammer on the the spent case. I was shocked to find that the force of the firing pin blow actually drove/swaged the case further into the chamber creating excessive headspace. The energy of the firing pin strike was driving the shallow shouldered 9.3x66 case further forward into the chamber instead of detonating the primer. When I repeated the test, I discovered that successive pin strikes would drive the case deeper and deeper as far as 0.030" with 4 or 5 successive dry fires. 0.015" of forward travel is more than enough to cause a misfire. I will try different barnds of brass to see if the Sako brass may be to "soft".

Looking at chamber diagrams, I suspect the same thing may be happening to cause misfires with the 9.3x62, and 35 Whelen, both of which have small shallow shoulders. By the way, this "case swaging" didn't happen with a .308 Win or .375 Ruger. What does the group think? Does that make sense? It happened to me.

Easy to fix. First time firing new brass seat the bullet shallow so it has to engage the lands. This will insure the brass is seated properly on the bolt face thus fully fire forming the brass. Load the cases with a "medium" load to help make sure it will expand fully.
Then when you resize the brass only partially resize until the bolt will just barely close easily. Had to do this with all my new 35 Whelen brass but never with any of the 9,3x62's I've owned.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or make a false shoulder on the neck.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dr_Mac

I have had it happen with the 35 Whelen and new factory brass...it happened enough that I said forget it and never owned another...not the kind of thing I want hanging over my head with a hunting rifle.

Reading this stuff makes me think about those disparaging comments about "useless belts", which were put there to provide a positive headspace "stop", and handle the "whack" of a heavy firing pin for reliable ignition....sort of important in any hunting rifle and especially so for DG game hunting.

Maybe this stuff happens with belted cases, too, but I have never seen it....gimme a 375H&H any old day over the other mousetraps. The Brits knew what they were doing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.