Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I liked the suspension on the Dana packs but never liked the hip belts or shoulder straps.

Overall I have had a number of packs that carried quite a bit better for me than the Dana's.

Some of which are the Kifaru G2 Longhunter, Kifaru UL, a couple Granite Gear packs, ULA Epic and actually an old Lowe Alpine.

Ed T

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shows that all bodies are different... have had Granite Gear and Lowe of your list... none pleased at all.

Haven't used the new generation of Kifaru, they look excellent, except for the UL's.

Would take my Greogry Cassin over anything I've seen on the web today.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
One pack? That's like having one gun right?

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

No danger of that.

Any thoughts on making a medium hip belt handle my ample middle age span. Would an extension web do the job or do I need a bigger belt in entirety?

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well I bought the Astroplane...will be here in 10 days or so, will figure out how to sort out the hip belt somehow. Maybe losing a few pounds might even help!

Sheep hunting next summer here I come.

Last edited by North61; 08/21/12.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have you seen the goruck backpacks? They look pretty durable. Not sure if any of them meet your requirements, but they look solid.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like the osprey vectors a lot and they can be had cheap if you find them. I primarily use a ula though. If the pack bag was bigger It would probably be the pack I use for first load.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by North61
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

No danger of that.

Any thoughts on making a medium hip belt handle my ample middle age span. Would an extension web do the job or do I need a bigger belt in entirety?

The Dana Design waistbelts were/are one piece with three major sections and webbing to hold the buckles. So, while you COULD extend the length of the WEBBING section(s) by putting large three-slides on and extra webbing, the problem would be that you would STILL have the padded sections NOT extending as far as they should to gain the optimal benefits of Dana's world class design.

I have actually done this with a Mystery Ranch BDSB, shipped to me with a "too small" belt and with my ancient "Kletterwerks" Dana pack as well as the DD-K2 "medium" Longbed Loadmaster I had for awhile. It works, but, under heavy loads is not really comfortable.

So, you need to find a "large" Astralplane waistbelt, as I mentioned in our PM exchange or, perhaps, have "Rainy Pass" make one up for you. MR WILL NOT do any mods or repairs on the old DD packs as I was informed a few years ago, so, custom or major waist reduction seem your best alternatives.

I looked a few minutes ago, as I did have some spare bits and pieces of older pack parts, but, I cleaned them out last spring as my little old house is packed with books, gear, guns and Rottweilers and I have no storage room left. I was hoping that I might have something, but, I am sorry that I cannot help further.

You might advertise for the belt on the various backpacking forums and "Zeno Marx" here is a good source for DD and other packs....he is a great guy and may be able to help. HTH.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If the belt is designed to be replaceable, many other pack maker's belts should work fine. Just about all of them are based on twin stays with an outside width of ~6" that terminate in stay pockets on the belt. If this is the case with your Astralplane, any belt with those stay pockets will work. Out of what is currently available, I think you'll find the Kifaru belt most comfortable.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good advice and the Arcteryx Bora 95 large belt may well fit as well...and, it is closer in design to the original. Phone that Arcteryx "outlet" store in North Van. and see if they can perhaps help.

IC B3

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Great advice folks..Thanks a lot! Also called Marmot Canada to see if they have access to old parts, as I believe they have the warranty obligations for the design.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Shows that all bodies are different... have had Granite Gear and Lowe of your list... none pleased at all.

Haven't used the new generation of Kifaru, they look excellent, except for the UL's.

Would take my Greogry Cassin over anything I've seen on the web today.

Brad,

Outside of being the same torso length, I think we are about as different in back profiles as they come. I have lots of curvature in my upper back, virtually no curve in my lower back and no hips.

As a rule, frame sheets work better for me than stays.

Ed T

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by North61
Great advice folks..Thanks a lot! Also called Marmot Canada to see if they have access to old parts, as I believe they have the warranty obligations for the design.

For the record Marmot Canada and Marmot USA do not have any Dana belts left in their stock of spares. MR doesn't answer emails and Kifaru shipped me lots of photos that suggests the Kifaru belt might be adaptable to work.

However I am losing weight...probably a better solution!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love these threads. I have been researching packs for a year now and wanted to get every ones opinion on weight of the packs and if of the companies are re-designing for next year before I buy.

Here is what I have found. Badlands is for mid western tree stand hunters. Kifaru and DD and McHale packs are what we are looking for as backpack hunters who hunt in the west. I love the Nice frame from DD and Crew Cab seems to be the best bet, but weighs in at 9 lbs. Kiui is trying to make a name for it self but has bad reviews and the price is just as much as what I know is a good product. Kifaru is always king and I have one of their UL packs and I dont like the sound. Makes too much noise for me. What do you guys think and is anyone in production or re-design? I can't wait to see what the HPG are going to come up with.

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Based on responses to emails my next pack would be a Kifaru. They gave a great response to me on their belt fitting the old Dana Designs. I wasn't going to make them rich but they took a lot of time with me. Great customer service. I'd deal with them in a heart beat next time I need something.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Kifaru t1 for sale if interested?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well I just bought my old Astralplane and am quite pleased. I am sure someone else will jump in!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Haven't seen it mentioned here but I use a Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly with a super spike duffel. The pack can carry more than I am capable of. Had it packed well over 100 lbs on several occasions. Its a meat hauler too and made for that. Fully expanded it's huge and yet it can be converted down nicely for day hunts too.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I can't wait to see what the HPG are going to come up with.

Same here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in for a try out of the Kuiu Icon packs, new generation. I'll drink the cool-aid first and sell it for cheap if it doesn't fit. I used the MR G-6000 for my sheep hunt, and loved the pockets arranged for me (wish they had a better hip belt solution, though). When loaded down with sheep, though, I really struggled with the shoulder straps on my shoulders. I haven't had enough experience to know if that would be bad with any pack, or if I need to keep looking.
I know the NICE system carried the load too far from my back and the load lifter issue was a problem for me.
I do love my McHales packs, and probably I should just stick with them, but I love trying out new stuff.
Don
PS on all my Canada trips (three to date) the guide carried a Bora 95

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (12344mag, 21, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.