Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Gun makers have come a long way. Much of the practical difference between manufacturers these days is just how much you want to spend for pretty. Most of them make highly reliable, durable guns. You can pay twice the price for a laminated stock and craftsmanlike fit and finish, but it really won't shoot any better than a plain Jane Savage with a molded synthetic stock and that highly criticized barrel nut. It's not pretty, but it can shoot. Much of the difference is cosmetic.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Gun makers have come a long way. Much of the practical difference between manufacturers these days is just how much you want to spend for pretty. Most of them make highly reliable, durable guns. You can pay twice the price for a laminated stock and craftsmanlike fit and finish, but it really won't shoot any better than a plain Jane Savage with a molded synthetic stock and that highly criticized barrel nut. It's not pretty, but it can shoot. Much of the difference is cosmetic.

Of the savage rifles I've seen and shot, I've been very impressed to say the least. However, I don't know if I'd trust the accutrigger out in the field though....: Some say they've had problems with them....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by jwall

Forevyodge...ought to cover it. It takes ALL 3 to get what I want. Maybe I'll start my own Custom Truck manf. business.

Since you are taking orders. Make mine a ford raptor with a cummins motor and allison tranny...That should just about cover it....Oh by the way, I want the solid front axle too..... whistle

Yee Haaa - I hadn't check this thread lately. Last time I did it was dormant.

Your selections get all the goodies. Too bad we can't even order 1 like that from 1 of the 3.

When I get r&d and production underway, you'll be first on the list. PRE-PAY ONLY. laugh
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best Gun Manufacture for elk hunting in the mountains is which ever one you have in your hands while standing over your dead elk.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Of the savage rifles I've seen and shot, I've been very impressed to say the least. However, I don't know if I'd trust the accutrigger out in the field though....: Some say they've had problems with them....
I have 2 Savages with the Accutrigger. So far, like in the last 7 or 8 years, it's been flawless.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like Remington and Winchester...not a Ruger fan. Everyone has their preferences. Savage makes a good gun and will be cheaper if you plan on beating it up.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I've shot elk with three different rifles, Browning A-Bolt composite in 7mm RM, Weatherby Stainless Fluted in 300 WBY and a Weatherby Accumark in 7mm WBY. I still have all three and they still work flawlessly.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I own all of the big 3 manufactures. Remington, Winchester, & Ruger. My Rem. 700's usually shoot the best or most accurate out of the box, with factory ammo or handloads. My Rem. Custom Shop Alaskan Model 700 in .300 RUM w/ 180gr Partition would be my 1st choice.

My Winchesterr Featherweight in 7X57 would be my # 2 choice. It's my favorite Rifle of all the Rifles I own! Mine has Factory open sights, and a Leupold VX-III 2.5 X 8 mounted with Talley QD Rings. I love the way it carries, & with a 160gr Bullet, that caliber has taken probably every animal on the planet in the last 100 years from elephants on down. K.J. Bell literally killed thousands of elephants hunting Ivory in Africa with a 7X57. Jack O'Conners wife used a 7X57 to kill everything in Africa & North America.

That being said, my 3rd choice would be my little Ruger Scout in .308. It's a great handling "mountain" rifle in my book. And as to accuracy rumors. Mine will shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100 yards all day long with Remington Factory 180 grain Corelock Ammo. It will out shoot several of my Expensive Custom Rifles!
I love how it handles, silky smooth bolt, love the safety, great factory hunting trigger & I really like the detachable mag feature. I carry it with a 5 round flush mag & have a 10 rounder loaded in my backpack. With a Leupold 2 X 7, out to 250 yards, it's just plain Deadly. I hope to try it out on a big ass Aoudad in Ft. Davis Mountains in West Texas, next year.
If you can't kill it with a short barreled .308 180gr bullet like a Nosler Partition, than it probably can't be done....

IMHO, all 3 are what I call great Elk rifles in the High Rockey's, and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with any of those choices in the Lower 48 States.
If Alaska was my Destination, though, I would take my Rem. 700 .300 RUM with 200 grain Partitions.... Hoping to do a Bear/Caribou hunt there someday.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/29/12.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Weatherby Accumark 340 cal hands down extremly accurate at any range and flat out knocks them elk down.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive killed more elk with my 340wby fibermark , than my sako 375 manlicher carbine , but both are about equally useful in my opinion

Last edited by 340mag; 10/02/12.
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have an 300WM older Mark X with a synthetic stock that has survived this long on horseback/mule riding hunts, it just works. That is all I know. It could be prettier, but it fits me and I trust it. Has S&K mounts and one piece rings holding a Nikon Monarch, and it inspires confidence just by picking it up!

Last edited by Ladymulerider; 10/02/12.

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hbc01
I have read a lot on hear about caliber, and you guys have a lot of knowledge and I appreciate that. But as a bowhunter I can talk manufactures all day with someone on the range. I would like to start a thread on which gun manufacture you like for hunting elk. Im not talking about the nice range guns, which one is going to be light and can take the abuse of 2 weeks in the mountains and having your mule hitting every tree on your scabbard side. So if everyone was in the market for a new riffle today, which brand would you choose?

Lots of opinions but how many here have actually hunted elk while riding mules??? grin Actually it is pretty hard now days to buy any rifle that will not get the job done.

Smokepole might be on to something in that the optic is more important than the brand of rifle and I might suggest mounts and bases play a big part in keeping a rifle zeroed while it lives in a saddle scabbard. cool

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
[quote=hbc01]

Lots of opinions but how many here have actually hunted elk while riding mules??? grin Actually it is pretty hard now days to buy any rifle that will not get the job done.

Do horses count? smile

Agree on the rifles...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hbc01
I have read a lot on hear about caliber, and you guys have a lot of knowledge and I appreciate that. But as a bowhunter I can talk manufactures all day with someone on the range. I would like to start a thread on which gun manufacture you like for hunting elk. Im not talking about the nice range guns, which one is going to be light and can take the abuse of 2 weeks in the mountains and having your mule hitting every tree on your scabbard side. So if everyone was in the market for a new riffle today, which brand would you choose?

Smokepole might be on to something in that the optic is more important than the brand of rifle and I might suggest mounts and bases play a big part in keeping a rifle zeroed while it lives in a saddle scabbard. cool

[Linked Image]

Wonder who's more hard headed, you or the mules..... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=hbc01]

Do horses count? smile

Agree on the rifles...

Experienced with both, I would consider mules a little more diligent in respect to the things attached for the ride.

Horses seem as a rule to not care as much when it comes to tommy-knocking your knees, paniers and effects.

Green horses or mules don't have a lot to offer anything of real value on a hunt.
All bets are off with green stock, and the user might get what is deserved for not being better prepared !

Why is it we all probably seen our share of green stock?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If budget was not an issue, Holland and Holland.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Horses seem as a rule to not care as much when it comes to tommy-knocking your knees, paniers and effects.

Why is it we all probably seen our share of green stock?

K: Agree on the first part but never been on a mule.

Think I had a green one, once. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a lot of good Guns.

But for me the Remington Model 700 in 300 Win Mag, has been time tested, and is hard to beat.

Kevin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have rifles made by Remington, Browning, Ruger and CZ in various calibers that I either have, or could use for hunting elk in the mountains. I wouldn't hesistate to use any of my rifles, although my Remington 700 (25-06) is a bit small for elk, but if it were all I had I'd use it. As Buckykm1 said, "There are a lot of good Guns".

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=hbc01]

Do horses count? smile

Agree on the rifles...

Nope. Have to have a way to make my opinion much more important. laugh

Its how the internet game is played, Bob. grin grin

Mules Rule!!!!

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 73 invisible), 3,275 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,432
Posts18,528,577
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.