Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We have all been there. Accraglass or Steel bed or other bedding compound is all set up and hardened and now it is the nervous time to see if the rifle is EVER going to come out of the stock! We remove the action screws, pull off the bottom metal (Hopefully this comes off easliy but....) then we wrap our fingers around the barrel and tug. UGH! No movement! Pull harder and harder then go up the force continueum until we HOPEFULLY at last are holding a barreled action and a still in tact riflestock in two separate hands. WHEW! Another close call! Now it is time to analyze, how much damage did we do to the bluing, metalwork or stock before it came apart for us?

So, to avoid all of this angst, what do YOU all use as a relaible and easy release agent when glass bedding a rifle? I have three of them to do for a rancher who is allowing me to hunt bear and cougar on his large tract of prime bear and cougar habitat and I want these jobs to go smoothly. I have a can of Brownells spray on release agent coming to try out, but wonder if this is THE BEST or if there iss omething else out there that is even better. Car Wax and PAM non stick spray been tried with minimal success so far.

THANKS in advance for the intel and suggestions,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One Shot case lube from Hornady is what I have used for 7-8 years with 100% success. I usually give the rifle 1 coat and let dry and then hit it with a good 2nd coat.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good idea, thanks!

Keep 'em coming, please.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kiwi Shoe polish, nuetral. Adam

K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ab_bentley
kiwi Shoe polish, nuetral. Adam

+1

I've had great luck with Kiwi

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like oneshot, being a spray on its easy to get in the nooks and cranies, but it goes on thin and makes for a tight release ( most of my bedding is Rugers, and those parallel reciever sides make for a tight bedding job as compared to a remington.

If you want an easy release try two coats of the stuff that comes with an accraglass kit.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Clear Kiwi. Never fails.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High score release agent is what I've been using. Kiwi is what ill use when it runs out.

I personally don't use the action screws. I've made a few sets of studs to use if not bedding with pillars.I use electrical tape to hold the action and stock together during curing.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Obviously, a bunch of different options work. I'd heard the wax deal for years, just always used the spray release from Brownells. It seems to be the fastest and easiest to use, and works great.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One Shot works really well and it doesn't get any easier.

I heard Pam cooking spray was good, BUT don't try it. Don't ask...

Carnuba wax is what I used to use and it worked fine, used to use a small paint brush to apply it.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One or two good passes with a spray can is sure faster and easier than painting the action with a small paint brush. And, I've done it both ways, just going with the spray to save time and effort. I'm basically lazy.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
One or two good passes with a spray can is sure faster and easier than painting the action with a small paint brush. And, I've done it both ways, just going with the spray to save time and effort. I'm basically lazy.

DF

10-4, it also gives a smoother coat for a better fit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use the Brownell's blue paint-on release agent along with a coat or two of One Shot afterwards. Might not need both but sure makes me feel better.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You're a belt AND suspenders kind of a guy... laugh

Not a bad way to be.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hands down Brownells acra release spray. I spray the metal right before I drop it in the mud. No need to dry anything. Takes under 1 minute for full 100% coverage of all parts. Get in the screw holes well and spray the screws too. Remove the barreled action first with pressure towards the muzzle end. Might need to tap the bottom metal out with a stick of wood and a light hammer.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a can of Brownells Accra Glass spray on release agent en route, In the gunsmithing forum whereI also posed this questionsomeone recomended Poly something or other spray. I will probably use a combination of products on these projects and report back. The stuff that comes in the Brownells kit has not been all that great for me in the past. Hoping for better results this time around.

THANKS everyone!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark, i have used Johnsons Pate wax for the last 6 stocks i have bedded.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been soley using Brownell's blue stuff for many years. I bought a quart of it long ago. Never had any issues with it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use Carnuba paste wax.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As Adam and KDF said, Kiwi Neutral shoe polish. I have tried many release agents over the years and nothing has worked as good as the Kiwi shoe polish. It is also easier to apply and remove than wax.

Last edited by rj308; 09/20/12.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,223
Posts18,371,141
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.