Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of nice Ballards
This one is mine
[Linked Image]

This one got away... frown I think it has the prettiest buttstock of any rifle I have ever seen.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BrentD; 09/21/12.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I haven't had a #1 in years, but like my Hyper Single.

My apologies, I'm afraid I opened my mouth and showed everybody my ignorance.

Tell me about your Hyper Single.

I saw some small things that didn't look like a No.1 like around the falling block lever. But I am ignorant of a Hyper Single.

The Hyper Single was built by Sam Lair in Jenks,Okla. They are listed in the Bluebook of Gun Values. Sam passed away a few years ago. My rifle is serial#002. Sam built it for his friend,Charlie Williams. Charlie was the designer and builder of the Benchmaster receivers used in the early 1970s on Benchrest rifles. Charlie also designed and made the predecessor to what is now the Shilen trigger.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That certainly is a nice looking and crafted single shot on the Hyper. Has been a long time since I heard that name.

I did not know the maker towards Tulsa way, but do remember stories about Charlie Williams. I remember the Benchmasters with some fondness. I suspect that both of those guys knew how. Every now and then, those names would come up in a conversation with Bunch.

I think that rifle might be a keeper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John Bunch was responsible for all my gun habits, God rest his soul. John was a friend of both and Red Cornelison was the other. They have all gone to the shooting and gunsmithing Heaven.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll play.. kinda messed up my picture entering in the calibers, but I guess it's all the same in the end :-)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1885boomstick; 09/22/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's impressive! Cool...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a slightly better view of the .270 Liberty

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and a couple of big bores:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Boomstick,

I take it you like RSI's?
Very impressive wrack.

Tex,

Tell me about the top Big Bore?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boomstick. Dude. You got it something' fierce. And I dig it.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Brent,

This is the exact reason I have a tendency to buy first, think later. ( A fool and his money...)
Every gun I have passed on or sold that I think about later, becomes a regret.

Very unusual decorative cheek piece. What would the age of this rifle be? caliber?
[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Tex,

Tell me about the top Big Bore?

That would be a Field's patent falling block, which is a fairly rare action. It was in .500-450 #1 Blackpowder Express (gotta love British cartridge names).

It had a fairly rough bore. I did eventually get it shooting to the fixed sights, with 300 gr bullets at 1900 fps, but it lead fouled the bore after about three shots. That might partly have been my paper patching technique, which was crude at the time frown

It was sold by Rodda, and said on the barrel, "#6 & #8 Dalhousie Square, Calcutta It was clearly someone's favorite hunting rifle, and was surprisingly light, for having such a massive action and 28" barrel. The receiver was fully engraved with game scenes, but the engraving was almost totally worn away, from being carried so much.

Ah the stories it could have told...no I wasn't smart enough to keep it.

I think someone else here has a Field's, and theirs is in nice shape. I'd love to have one again. Maybe someday that one will turn up for sale smile

edit to add:

Here's some better photos of a Field's though not identical to mine. It was made by Holland & Holland...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Holland-Holland-303-Field-patent-falling-block.cfm?gun_id=100280110

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 09/22/12. Reason: noted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't bought any for a while, but here are my three favourites
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cat,

Tell me about your Schutzen's? Caliber etc.?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the top one is a Haenal Aydt match rifle in 8.15X46.
It is missing the orginal rear sight however, but the one that is on it works well.
Shoots well, but the last owner ( a memeber here) doesn't have time for it and does not shoot targets much anyway, so he gave it to me.
I have the dies and brass fro it , of course, and a bunch of proper sized cast bullets.

The second is an original Highwall in 38/55 that I bought from a another member of Canadian Gun Nutz.

I have a lot of providence on the rifle, when it was made and shipped (1907), when the stock was chamged, etc.
You see, it was shipped with its original #4 taper barrel and single set trigger that is on it, but with a shotgun style stock.
it was re-stockeed in the mid-50's by an Ontario gunsmith , and my CGN friend shot it when he was a member of the Canadian single shot rifle Association.
I have several molds for it, the original, and another that was owned by Jack Secord, a well know single shot shooter back in the day.
I have shot it with both BP and with light smokeless loads at 100 and 200 , and it shoots very well.
The scope is a Unertl, but the sight is a receiver redfield that is glued on - not screwed, so one day I shall take it off , and install a proper tang sight for it.
Both rifles are fantastic examples of their type and I feel very fortunate to be able to have and shoot them.:>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My new Ruger #1S 338 Win

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Fotis,

Nice grain both sides of butt stock.

Is a .338 considered your "light" game gun? squirrels? rabbits?

wink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Freedumb1,
Why you don't be havin' a model 1885 BrownChester?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have several Ruger No. 1's with better than average wood, but not in the same league as most I'm seeing here. How about a couple of blackpowder single shots?

Shiloh Sharps - bought off the rack in Big Timber as a No. 3 Sporter in 45-90 with 32" heavy barrel and standard wood. After shooting it for a couple of years, had it re-stocked in extra fancy, AA finish, accent line cheek piece, bedded forend w/ ebony tip, ebony pistol grip, bone & charcoal pack color case hardening, and shortened the barrel to 28". I guess now it's a Saddle Rifle:

[Linked Image]

Ballard #4 Perfection in 45-70 manufactured in Cody, WY with upgraded wood (was told French walnut), and 28" standard weight barrel:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JGray; 09/28/12.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mighty fine rifles JGray!!!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,095
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.