Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
My son is 12 and is in need of a decent pack for scouting. He is somewhat small for his age, but I know he will be shooting up soon, so I'm not looking to buy a high end pack. Any advice? Thanks.

Brent

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post. My son is skinny too and I bought a external for him that works well.

Good Shooting!
G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You may want to keep your eye out for a used colman peak one external frame pack short version. I think walmart may have a similar pack sold under the outdoors product name. It is a some what light pack but is very strong. I have packed 100 lbs on mine. It is a plastic frame so you can get some noise if it hits on things. I dunp the bag part at camp and lash a duffle on it while hunting or just pack a day pack in it. Best thing is they are cheap.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm on my second kid using one of these:

http://www.mountainsmith.com/produc...mp;subCategoryId=35&subCategory2Id=0

Fairly light and good adjustments to get some mileage out of it. They used to have a nice green color if you search the used market.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cost ... you didn't say what you're comfortable spending.

If an external frame is ok, I'd look at a Kelty Yukon. I believe the 48L version has a shorter youth frame, the 50L has an adult frame, but you have to be careful because some sites list only one or the other, then give you a size option.

Kelty also makes a Jr tioga which, depending on your son's height, might be better yet.

I've been jackin' around with internal frame packs and I'm about to stack all mine in a pile, pour some gas over them, and add a match.

The 50L Yukon would be my choice to replace all of the internal frame packs I bought thinking they'd be nice for shorter trips / lighter duty, about 3000 cu in with the option of lashing gear to the frame. (Tioga II for extended trips.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I second the kelty yukon trekkar external frame. I've had one since I was around 10 (have upgraded since). I'm sure you could find a used one easily on ebay or craigslist. I would sell you mine, but I think shipping might make it unreasonable. Shoot me an offer if interested. They're lightweight, cheap, and durable.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bowman-You might look around for a Lowe Alpine packs. We got one (a 50 liter size) for my younger son and it worked well as he grew and has held up very well. Big enough to carry his clothes, sleeping bag/pad, and gear. It is designed to adjust quite a bit for torso length so it grew with him by doing simple adjustments. The waist belt is sewn on so it has limits of adjustment for the pads to fit properly. They are good packs in my experience. Good luck. Joe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
Bowman-You might look around for a Lowe Alpine packs. We got one (a 50 liter size) for my younger son and it worked well as he grew and has held up very well. Big enough to carry his clothes, sleeping bag/pad, and gear. It is designed to adjust quite a bit for torso length so it grew with him by doing simple adjustments. The waist belt is sewn on so it has limits of adjustment for the pads to fit properly. They are good packs in my experience. Good luck. Joe

+1 on the Lowe Alpines that adjust to different heights. I bought one for each of my girls when they were 8/9 and they are still using them at 14 & 16. They are very well built, not cheap packs and the fact you can make those adjustments over the years is huge. I bought both mine st Sierra Trading Post, but also recommend REI as they will measure & fit a few pack options to your son's frame...they are real professionals there.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks all. I really don't want to spend more than $150,a nd under $100 would be better seeing that he needs a lot of different things.

Last night we looked at The North Face Terra Youth 55. It seemed like it would be a good fit for him, and it is currently $129.98 at Campmor.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelty-P2621..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae83c10ff

Brand new kelty yukon for $63.00 including shipping. Just get whatever he likes. Externals may not be the most fashionable backpacks nowadays smile

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks. A problem is finding one that will fit his small waist size. I'll check this one out. Obliged.

Brent

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
+1 on the Mountainsmith pack. My daughter uses one. She is younger that your son. My son uses an ILBE pack with a small belt. He has a small waist and it fits. The down side with this pack is that it is heavy, but over built.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by parko
+1 on the Mountainsmith pack. My daughter uses one. She is younger that your son. My son uses an ILBE pack with a small belt. He has a small waist and it fits. The down side with this pack is that it is heavy, but over built.
+2

I bought a Mountainsmith Youth Pursuit backpack for my grandson. It's the smallest full featured pack that I could find. He used it on a couple of trips this summer and it worked fine. He's only 8 years old and it's still a little big for him but he will grow into it and it will serve him well for several years until it's time to get him a full size backpack.

Here's a good price at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Youth-Pursuit-Backpack-Lotus/dp/B0019Y1K82

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks. That is a great option. However, the waist belt only goes down to 24 inches, and my son's waist is 24 inches.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I went ahead and ordered TNF Terra 55 Youth. I'll provide a report towards the end of the month. Thanks to everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

Brent

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,299
Posts18,525,931
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.