Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6924493 09/30/12
W
OP Offline
W
Hi guys, I'm looking to expand my range with Sabot Slugs while deer hunting and i like that stats on paper of the new Federal Trophy Copper slugs in the 12 ga. 11/16 oz 2 3/4 inch size. Has anyone used these slugs? If so what do you think about them? And what twist rate do you have in your barrel.
Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are pleased with them out to a certain range... go forth and slay many a deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried them, but found that the tipped Hornady sabot slug shot more accurately. Unfortunately, the cow elk never came within my 200 yard self imposed range limit. They laughed at me from the safety of the other side of the fence, on property I was not allowed access. They also knew the time table for sunrise/sunset.

Always a little too far, or on property with no access.:(

You'll only know by trying. Most slugs will work well. I would use the one that shoots the best in your gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hastings make some accurate ones.

I have a hunting buddy that had a deer "come back to life" when lunged with a Hornady sst

but, there's always some dickcheese that will bring up "shot placement"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
hastings make some good slugs

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington Buckhammer

[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

W
OP Offline
W
Does anyone know the optimal twist rate of a rifled barrel for these faster shells? i hear people saying all kinds of things. i have a 1:28 inch ratio and it doesnt seem to shoot 1900fps slugs accurately.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seminole39
Remington Buckhammer

[Linked Image]

HOLE Y CHIT! Those will take a chunk outta sumthin!

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by Seminole39
Remington Buckhammer

[Linked Image]

HOLE Y CHIT! Those will take a chunk outta sumthin!
3" 1 1/4oz 1500fps

they make a big hole in a whitetail grin

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I like the buckhammers as well but I believe they're discontinued. If anyone knows where to get 'em let me know. I'll take the lot.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My 835 moss berg loves 2 3/4" lightfields. Have only used them in it for 10 years longest shot is just over 150 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I normally run 2 3/4" copper sabots in the 12 and sst's in the 20ga.
The sst's have a much harder time killing deer but are very accurate.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you would like to have the scapula on your shooting side moved over to join the one on the other side, the Buckhammers are the way to go. They are also top-notch if you are seeking a way to have your gun, bench, and by-standers covered in snot.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lightfield's and the Remington AccuTip have become a staple in "these here parts"...

Winchester Gold's look good on paper too. In my experiences, you can burn that particular piece of paper. grin
I think I could take one out of my pocket and throw it more accurately than they'd launch from my shotgun (11-87) - same for my father and a friend. As well, I think I'd rather shoot a full-house turkey load from an 870 off the bench than that slug in a semi-auto. Yowzers, there's no need for that kind of punishment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Lightfield's and the Remington AccuTip have become a staple in "these here parts"...

Winchester Gold's look good on paper too. In my experiences, you can burn that particular piece of paper. grin
I think I could take one out of my pocket and throw it more accurately than they'd launch from my shotgun (11-87) - same for my father and a friend. As well, I think I'd rather shoot a full-house turkey load from an 870 off the bench than that slug in a semi-auto. Yowzers, there's no need for that kind of punishment.

We use rifled barrel H&R 20 gauges here and the 3" Federal Barnes Sabot(1900fps) along with the 3" Winchester Partition Gold(2000fps) have been our most accurate. The best "killing DRT" has been the Federal Barnes. It appears the 20ga. Federals are not as readily available at this time as in the past.

Happily we will be ok'd for rifle in a year or two and our supply of saboted slugs should hold until that time. It would sure make it easier on the shoulder. We have discussed this in the past though, so I'll drop for now.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's 2 3/4 Remington copper solids for me. I shot the 3 inchers and they wouldn't group worth a darn out of my gun. I wanted to shoot 3's for the flatter faster slug, but it just doesn't shoot them well. I'd like to try those accu tips though. I have a short Remington 870 slug gun...those copper solids blow some serious fire out the end of the barrel, kick like a mule, and I'm usually deaf for a day or so, but I can drive tacks with it.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just bought a case of 20 gauge Buckhammers two weeks ago from these folks:

Ideal True Value Hardware and Home Center
Crossett, Ar.
800-691-7339

I don't know if they have any 12s.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Originally Posted by SKane

We use rifled barrel H&R 20 gauges here and the 3" Federal Barnes Sabot(1900fps) along with the 3" Winchester Partition Gold(2000fps) have been our most accurate. The best "killing DRT" has been the Federal Barnes. It appears the 20ga. Federals are not as readily available at this time as in the past.

Happily we will be ok'd for rifle in a year or two and our supply of saboted slugs should hold until that time. It would sure make it easier on the shoulder. We have discussed this in the past though, so I'll drop for now.

Like these two statements prove... Go buy a few different kinds and shoot them all. Best part is, you get to do it all over again next year! They never seem to be the same next season. I don't know if they change the powder, polymer of the sabot, or what it is, but I never shot the same brand year to year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scottydog
I like the buckhammers as well but I believe they're discontinued. If anyone knows where to get 'em let me know. I'll take the lot.
I've not found any in a while. I bought 3 boxes about this time last year from Sportsmans Guide but that was the last I've seen instock other than 20ga.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,220
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.