-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 30 1 2 27 28 29 30
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay, boys and girls, here they are -- all 277 shots I took. (The first few dozen shots are the Aransas jetty, which Mike (birdwatcher) and I visited before the get-together.) I regret that I spent too much time fishing to get everybody featured. To those not appearing, I apologize. I also indulged myself with some artsy-fartsy landscape shots on the final evening, which some of you may enjoy.

This is a public album, so if you see any shots of yourselves or others that appeal to you, be my guest and download them for your pleasure.

PINS album

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
again

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
last ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
good pictures rocky and miles.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
R
I would like to be there if every thing will be well planed and well arranged.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ralphmconger
I would like to be there if every thing will be well planed and well arranged.

Welcome to the 24 hour campfire Ralph.
This trip was in Aug., about a month ago Ralph.
The trip is a free trip.
We can charge you say a thousand dollars and we will make sure that you have fishing gear, shade, chair, food. cool

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My main objection was that Rog really dropped the ball on the turtle girls this time around frown All I saw was two turtle guys.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We has an amazing time. The kids enjoyed themselves, and though it was a lot of work for my wife and me, we sure enjoyed meeting the people from the campfire.
Here are a few select shots from the trip. I will post the link the photo album once I fix it, since it seems to have had trouble uploading a few of them. There are 300+ pictures with lots of the kids, that I will spare you.

Besides the unintended skewering of our "shark fisherboy" the other low point was the pickup truck towing away the lines of 11 or so fishing rods.
Mike and Miles
[Linked Image]

Rocky documenting
[Linked Image]

"I'll show you how to yak baits out"
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Petting fish
[Linked Image]

yummy?
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1112.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1138.jpg[/img]

Ceviche time - filleting our fish

[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1178.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/PINS%20trip/DSC_1180.jpg[/img]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great pics! Looks like a fine time.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, before this thread goes off the boards, I'd just like to point out again what a good time it was in such good company.

The presence Sponxx and his family in particular added depth and a touch of grace to the group that was appreciated by all of us aging geezers.

Anyhow, as promised, a reference to the chimney swift, one of the most common and familiar of American birds(moving along the Texas Gulf Coast by the thousand at present), and the occasion of the discovery of its wintering grounds, way the heck out there in the Peruvian Amazon, east of the Andes.

[Linked Image]

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1944/19441112.pdf

In 1934, in an attempt to discover just to where these birds were disappearing, the ornithologist John Calhoun and others banded 550,000 swifts as they roosted in chimneys in the upper south. It was the largest all-volunteer effort to study a migratory bird ever undertaken.

For years they continued banding swifts, discovering practically nothing of the half a million birds ringed and released, until 13 swift bands were recovered by a group of American Indians who had turned them into a missionary in Amazonian Peru.

Apparently the Indians had been smoking out a massive dead tree in the rainforest to harvest the birds roosting inside, a practice centuries old, only to find, this time, tiny metal bands on their legs. Birds that had been banded in Nashville, Tennessee. And thus, the wintering grounds of the Chimney Swift were discovered.

I have no idea where the Yanayaco River is, but the durned things must be thick as fleas down there by November, being as they nest in chimneys all over the eastern half of North America, heck we even have a pair nesting in a roof duct at my school every year.

Another Andean specialty (including Peru); the Cerulean Warbler, is best known only to bird watchers....

[Linked Image]

Note the unusually long wings, so much so that this 4" bird builds its nest atop larger horizontal branches with space for it to dive vertically and gain airspeed when leaving the nest.

It has to have those longer wings because its a long-hop migrant, most flying non-stop from the Andean cloud forests to the highlands of Central America to refuel, and then again direct and non-stop from those mountains clear to the Appalachians and other locations in the Northeast.

Here's a pic from the lower Hudson River Valley in New York State, about thirty miles upriver from NYC and yepper, there's Ceruleans, that spend the winter following army ant swarms in the Andes, nesting every year in the immediate area of the photo...

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Birdy, I remember you telling that story.
You won't find these anywhere near the Hudson.
Gallito de las rocas
Rocky would like the english version of the name
Cock-of-the-rocks... although it should be "Little cock of the Rocks"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amazing coloration!

And before any smartaleck says it, that name does NOT translate to Rocky's Little Cock... shocked

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
???

Most birds dont even HAVE a penis, including that one.

I thought everyone knew that.

C
C
Try using a examine body weight. These loads have cables that come through it to help get base. When battling a seafood, the cable turns so it won't catch. The key is to use these sharp �claws� with huge sight. Create your rig, position the eye of the connect onto one of the cables. The whole rig is compacted and you'll be able to throw further out without it rotating about.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Clarence15
Try using a examine body weight. These loads have cables that come through it to help get base. When battling a seafood, the cable turns so it won't catch. The key is to use these sharp �claws� with huge sight. Create your rig, position the eye of the connect onto one of the cables. The whole rig is compacted and you'll be able to throw further out without it rotating about.

Is that English?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually I'm glad those guys showed up, upon reflection I didn't think what I wrote last was very funny, and to have it left hanging as a thread ending was kind of a pain.

Maybe them random posts are triggered by post content.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Or maybe space aliens...

I've seen some wickedly funny translations of Chinese to English in electronics equipment manuals, but that was WAY beyond a language barrier! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 29 of 30 1 2 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 14 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,839
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.