Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've posted this before but here it is again.
Graphite black done by EddieF
[Linked Image]

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
35 Whelen IMP LH Ruger MK 2
[Linked Image]

I like that rig!

Well, aside from the whole wrongarm thing...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some very nice rifles here guys. I got mine back the other day and put it back together....I almost sold this thing a while back but am damn glad I didn't now. It shoots better than any 30-06 in the stable right now (including my EW).....I went with the sniper grey after looking at some samples the smith had in person:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Well he wanted pics of a cerakoted barrel grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice looking rifle! Is that a speckle tone stock? Looks great with the sniper grey.

Last edited by snuzem; 10/06/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh thanks buddy. When I put it back in the grey/black stock it didn't look right so I went to the store and bought some of that "stone" texture paint for plastics and went over that with 4 light coats of matte clear finish. I wanted some webbing paint but nobody had it in town mad. Kind of bummed out about that but I made due..... grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You did a great job with it. Congrats!

J
J
I have a Winchester Model 94 clone, it's an early post 64 that was made by Winchester for Sears. I want to get some coating on this thing most of the factory bluing was gone when I was given the rifle. This thing is a woods gun, I use it both during hunting season for deer, and during the off season while walking/scouting hoping to see a hog. Given my use I want a tough coating that will look good and hold up well to use but not break the bank. I am leaning towards Cerakote because it seems to be more than tough enough, definitely has the looks, and seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I talked to one of the local Cerakoat vendors (only 2 listed on the site) about doing it. They wanted to Parkarize the rifle then apply Cerakote over that. They also wouldn't do action internals because "it would be too thick and would gum up the action". Now studied up on the process before talking to them and from my reading that didn't sound right so I walked away. The other is the same people that built my AR, and I wasn't to impressed by the work done on it (build work not coating).

My understanding is that you media blast the metal (aluminum oxide?) to prepare the surface, clean it real good, preheat the metal, shoot the bare metal with Cerakote and bake. Nothing I've read says anything about using Parkerizing first, and everything seems to suggest that doing so would weaken the Cerakote finish. Also that the coating should be thin enough that it will not affect the workings of the action, if anything make them smoother. Am I understanding this process right? Did you have the internal parts done? Any particular vendors in the southeast region that members like to use?

FWIW I think I'm going to have it done in Midnight Blue, or Graphite Black (w/ extra hardener). It'll probably end up in a Ramline Synthetic stock, though I might refinish the current walnut stock and stick with it.

Last edited by JoshT; 10/07/12.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here is a pic of my rifle coated with Black-T which is a proprietary coating by WE Birdsong . The rifle is a Sako with a stainless Hart barrel in 300 Win Mag.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bringin' this back to the top in hope of seeing some more. Seriously considering having this treatment done to my old Ruger M77RS in .338WM.

Thanks.
Jeff

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You should give Eddie F. a call.....You'll love his work. I'm very happy with my local guy or that's the route I'd take...Eddie is one of the best and pays close attention to detail....

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Where is the best place to have the Cerakote done, and what is the best colors? I'm located in Oregon. Thanks in advance.

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Winchester M70 Stainless Classic in 415 Rem (left handed)

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 XCR II in 375 Weatherby

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,678
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.