Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sad news today.

Grumann goose airplane circa 194? something approaching the island in Tikchik lake to pick up a hunting party, late in the day, glassy lake, flat light, evidently pilot slammed it into the water at around 140 mph. Plane flipped and went down is the way I heard it.

I've been there in that spot over a half dozen times waiting to get picked up by that same outfit (former owners Bingham family)

can't imagine a more helpless feeling seeing that happen right before your eyes and not a damn thing you can do for the guy. Get in the boat and row or motor out there to see if he got out by some miracle.

from what I've heard it was one of the Ball bros. and I also heard this was supposed to be their last season operating down there.

sorry to hear it frown May the good Lord comfort those he left behind. And those were danged neat old aircraft to boot!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heard that on the news this AM, Randy. I thought of you when they said Wood-Tikchik.

Sad news.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It was Newt Ball in the widgeon rather than the goose. He went down with the plane. They are up there today trying to figure out how deep of water its in, for a salvage. Sad stuff.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very sad, indeed!

I used Freshwater for my trips into Kagati Lake to float the Kanektok back when the Bingham's owned it.

Great outfit.

My prayers go out for the family and friends. Prayers for safety for the recovery team as well.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
skud thanks for the clarification, I didn't even know they had the widgeon in service, been a lot of years since I've tramped that territory.

I'm guessing it's the same widgeon that got set down on one of the hills a little rough over by White Sands (IIRC) when the Bingham's hired another pilot for a brief period.

I'd heard it was Newt, but didn't want to give a name in case it was wrong, and after misidentifying the aircraft it makes it plain to see why.

Aviation certainly has it's risks, I'm grateful to the Binghams for flying me so many hours safely in that neck of the woods in some less than ideal flying conditions at times.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sad news. Haven't been to that lake or used that Guide service but any time we lose one its hard.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Back when I was learning to fly one thing my instructor told me was how dangerous a glassy water surface was to try to land on.

Sorry to hear about this loss.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glassy Water is about as dangerous as it gets for landings. I don't fly sea planes anymore. Flying is not dangerous in of itself, its being complacent that gets you. I read accident reports all the time, not the initial reports but the final ones. It keeps me on my toes, all I can say there has been a few occasions were I almost got bit and it would have been very very ugly. Sorry to hear about Newt, these things happen from time to time.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear about an accident like this, I guess it underscores the risks of the occupation. Why is a glassy surface so dangerous?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For lack of contrast.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 163bc, 44 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,907
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.