Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
In the local emporium yesterday when a lady came in with a SW box. She said she had bought it here a few weeks ago and she did not like it because it kicked to hard, made too much noise and had a big fireball every time she fired it. She said her husband and a lawyer friend had also fired it and one of them had even cut his hand doing so. So she wanted to trade it on something better suited to her needs. When the box was opened it contained a small snub nose ,38 Special revolver. She then produced the box of ammo that she bought when she bought the gun. It was a box of .38 SUPER plus P plus!!! Clerk that sold her the gun had stated that that was the best ammo for self defence in that revolver, They had fired 25 rounds from that box in the revolver. Ouch! She traded for a Taurus TCP I think.

Me thinks she was lucky to have not been injured in the process. Even though they did injure her check book in the trade. The clerks thought it funny that she thought the .38 special kicked hard.

My attempt to explain the error on their part in the ammo they sold her went unheeded, They will likely have similar experiences in the future me thinks.

Last edited by Lonerider; 10/10/12.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And morons abound, even behind the counter it seems.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I am thinkin it was lucky the gun held together for 25 rounds.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I wouldn't have even guessed that it was mechanically possible to load and fire .38 Super in a revolver chambered for .38 Special. How could it have headspaced on the mouth of the cartridge, being of different lengths? Must have been a long firing pin.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I wouldn't have even guessed that it was mechanically possible to load and fire .38 Super in a revolver chambered for .38 Special. How could it have headspaced on the mouth of the cartridge, being of different lengths? Must have been a long firing pin.

The .38 Super is a partially rimmed case.

Rocky Raab has even commented on how he fired .38 Super ammunition in a revolver (can't remember if he said it was a .38 or a .357 chamber).

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The .38 Super is a partially rimmed case.

Rocky Raab has even commented on how he fired .38 Super ammunition in a revolver (can't remember if he said it was a .38 or a .357 chamber).
Didn't know that it was partially rimmed. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE

They all must take an IQ test. If they score too high then they do not get the job. laugh

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hotload

They all must take an IQ test. If they score too high then they do not get the job. laugh
No, that's the police. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The case is a smidge bigger on the .38 Specal, so it's actually doable...But there is no pressure standard on +P+, so that part's a REALLY bad idea.

There was a company called Rogers & Phillips that did a nifty conversion of K frame S&W's that allowed you to shoot basically any .35/9mm cartridge; downright nifty conversion. But truth be told, I have fired .38 Super out of a Special revolver just to see if it could be done in a pinch. I've also fired .32 ACP out of my H&R Magnum with acceptable results. Kinda nice to know that if need be, you can do it, but it's not something I'd be in a hurry to make a regular practice.

If you can't find .38 Special ammo, there' not much of a chance you're going to come by .38 Super. But .32 H&R mag is not all that common, so it's nice to know if I were ever desperate (not that I can really think of a likely scenario), .32 ACP will work in a pinch.

Ejection of the semi-rimmed cartridges is dicey. You really need to turn the barrel skyward before hitting that ejector rod, or you'll very quickly jam a cartridge under the star and you'll have fun from there. Something very likely to happen ONLY in a gunfight, so using something other than the designated cartridge is truely a last ditch move.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The case is a smidge bigger on the .38 Specal, so it's actually doable...But there is no pressure standard on +P+, so that part's a REALLY bad idea.

There was a company called Rogers & Phillips that did a nifty conversion of K frame S&W's that allowed you to shoot basically any .35/9mm cartridge; downright nifty conversion. But truth be told, I have fired .38 Super out of a Special revolver just to see if it could be done in a pinch. I've also fired .32 ACP out of my H&R Magnum with acceptable results. Kinda nice to know that if need be, you can do it, but it's not something I'd be in a hurry to make a regular practice.

If you can't find .38 Special ammo, there' not much of a chance you're going to come by .38 Super. But .32 H&R mag is not all that common, so it's nice to know if I were ever desperate (not that I can really think of a likely scenario), .32 ACP will work in a pinch.

Ejection of the semi-rimmed cartridges is dicey. You really need to turn the barrel skyward before hitting that ejector rod, or you'll very quickly jam a cartridge under the star and you'll have fun from there. Something very likely to happen ONLY in a gunfight, so using something other than the designated cartridge is truely a last ditch move.
That's all good to know.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most modern J-Frame guns are designed for .38+P or .357mag pressures. That, combined with cylinder gap and the slightly smaller bullet diameter of the .38 Super probably helped with the safety issue. Unfortunately, the idiot sales clerk is probably beyond help. It's a big problem with retail in general these days. Budgets are so tight, most stores can only afford one or maybe two knowledgeable people on the floor. Everyone else is a minimum wage halfwit.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a week goes by that somebody don't come into the "Real gun shop" and ask why these .32's (.32ACP) or .38's (.380ACP) won't work in their REVOLVER!

I asked the guy in Wal-Mart for thirty two's and he gave me these.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...I asked the guy in Wal-Mart for thirty two's and he gave me these.

...our local Cabela's is just as bad T Lee. I called the other day and asked if they still had bulk packed .45 ACP ammo----after a hesitation, the "kid" on the line mumbled to himself, "let's see, that's lever action ammo...." as he thumbed throw some inventory sheet that he had.

I was going to shoot in a shotgun tournament in Cody one time and needed some Winchester AA's in #9 for the skeet portion of the event. I went to the counter at Cabela's and asked if they had any 12 AA #9's. The clerk said, "what brand do you want?" I said "AA's.......AA's are Winchesters." He said, "ok, is that lead or steel shot?"!!!!!! I told him thanks and said that I'd try to find them myself!

We have to keep reminding ourselves that most of those clerks don't have those jobs because they did so well on their SAT's. :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Okay so now the only question is do I shoot Supers in my 38-44 Heavy Duty or my GP100?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Okay so now the only question is do I shoot Supers in my 38-44 Heavy Duty or my GP100?
It would seem you could get away with it in a pinch.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gmoats
...I asked the guy in Wal-Mart for thirty two's and he gave me these.

...our local Cabela's is just as bad T Lee. I called the other day and asked if they still had bulk packed .45 ACP ammo----after a hesitation, the "kid" on the line mumbled to himself, "let's see, that's lever action ammo...." as he thumbed throw some inventory sheet that he had.

I was going to shoot in a shotgun tournament in Cody one time and needed some Winchester AA's in #9 for the skeet portion of the event. I went to the counter at Cabela's and asked if they had any 12 AA #9's. The clerk said, "what brand do you want?" I said "AA's.......AA's are Winchesters." He said, "ok, is that lead or steel shot?"!!!!!! I told him thanks and said that I'd try to find them myself!

We have to keep reminding ourselves that most of those clerks don't have those jobs because they did so well on their SAT's. :-)

I love gun store wisdom...
and the customers too.

One old guy bought a $99 .32 a while back and wanted ammo.
The clerk got him a box of 25.

"But the gun only holds 6. Why do I need more?"

And he biatched and complained that no one would sell him only 6 bullets.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
...or you'll very quickly jam a cartridge under the star and you'll have fun from there. Something very likely to happen ONLY in a gunfight, so using something other than the designated cartridge is truely a last ditch move.

Actually, there are two times cartridges get stuck under the ejector star... in a gunfight, and in an IDPA State match when the revolver championship is on the line... trust me, I still have nightmares about it!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
...or you'll very quickly jam a cartridge under the star and you'll have fun from there. Something very likely to happen ONLY in a gunfight, so using something other than the designated cartridge is truely a last ditch move.

Actually, there are two times cartridges get stuck under the ejector star... in a gunfight, and in an IDPA State match when the revolver championship is on the line... trust me, I still have nightmares about it!
Murphy's Law.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
More bits of wisdom from the same clerk.

The 308 and the 243 are just necked down 30-06's
The 243 is the best brush gun because it has more knock down than the 30-06.
The .22 win mag is a different cartridge than the CCI .22 mag and if you shoot the CCI in a .22 win mag you will blow up your gun.

But Wait...there is more but I have a headache just thinkin of those!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lonerider
More bits of wisdom from the same clerk.

The 308 and the 243 are just necked down 30-06's
The 243 is the best brush gun because it has more knock down than the 30-06.
The .22 win mag is a different cartridge than the CCI .22 mag and if you shoot the CCI in a .22 win mag you will blow up your gun.

But Wait...there is more but I have a headache just thinkin of those!!

How does this dude still have a job????

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,772
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.