Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've got tags for cow elk on Turkey Day this year and if its like last time we'll have snow (and 7 degree mornings!). I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on what tint would be better for those days when the sky is clear and the sun is starting to cause snow blindness? Obviously dark gray won't work. I currently have 2 polarized pairs, one with light yellow and one with a light brown tint. You can easily see the eyes of the person wearing them to give you an idea of how light the tint is. Any ideas?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I favor gray's because colors stay true. For shotgunning activities where ones working with the sky, I lean toward yellow. Given your supply, it sounds like brown.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/11/12.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Work with them before-hand wherever you plan to hunt. I've had weird things happen with darker glasses. 'course, I had photo-gray / transitions, not "sunglasses". Anyways, from out in the sun, anything in shadow was invisible. Looking for jackrabbits under sage brush in bright sun ... forget it. Looking for deer under trees when I was in bright sun ... forget it.

So ... my recommendation is, whatever you buy, take 'em out and try them and be sure you can really see the critters in your hunting conditions before counting on them.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have worn gold iridium polarized Oakley lenses for the last 15 years. They make greens a little greener and browns a little browner and i love them for hunting and fishing.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like my Ray Ban's!

IC B2

Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I should add that I don't want to hinder spotting elk. I will take them off when I get off the open rock scabs and open meadows.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Load:

Forget about the color and go to your local mountaineering store and buy a good pair of glacier glasses. They will be expensive but your eyes will thank you. I used a pair of Julbo glacier glasses when climbing Denali (Mount McKinley). But the side shields kept giving me trouble and eventually I had to fashion my own side shields using duct tape.

This is what I use now.
http://www.speert.com/discount-sung...zed&gclid=CKPXxam7-rICFelFMgodz1kAIQ
They don't have any side shields and work a lot better.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the two you have I would go with the light brown tint.

But personally I prefer a darker shade to fight the glare off the snow. I use a "smoke" lens in a pair of Radians Chaos safety glasses, or a UVEX Bandit with the "espresso" lens. The Bandit has side protection, but I usually prefer the Chaos. Both are very inexpensive, but work well.

They're not Maui Jims quality of course, but you won't really care when you scratch the lens after you throw it in your pack either. smile

These are both safety glasses that are cheap, durable, and work great for outdoor sports.

You can get them here www.safetyglassesusa.com

Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the suggestions.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell I use them in the bow season all day long.

I put them on at about 9 AM and take them off about a half hour before sunset.

I use Oakleys. I just dig em and look uber cool in em.

They aint dark, but filter out alotta 'bad' light and glare.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
http://www.gundogsonline.com/Proshop/Studies/ShootingGlassesLensColors.asp

Regular glasses can cause a problem looking over the top when shooting. A dedicated shooting glass eliminates it.

#46 Vermillion: Will dampen green background and accentuate brown if hunting an early season.

#44 Light Brown: Will bring out browns, but not so good for early and late in the day. Light brown in the snow, just may be the ticket.

I've also found a very light purple good for hunting.

Available in prescription and non-prescription along with bifocal if needed. Usually three lens come with a set. More than a few companies out there that offer the various shades. Currently using "Rangers", a little expensive but worth it IMO since I use them more than a little shooting sporting. Definitely a situation were different eyes vary in how they see contrasts.

My own experience is for all around use is to pick something on the lighter color side of the various shades if hunting early and late or on overcast days. Early and late, clear wins hands down.

Last edited by battue; 10/13/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maui Jim Breakwall model with the HT (High Transmision) lens. Anything from fog to bright snow. The best all around lens I have ever used. Polarized, great for rafting, fishing, shooting in grey light/foggy etc. I wear them year round.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like the brownish-orange color lenses with Polarized coatings. They really help. It kills all the UV light reflecting off the snow well, evident to when you take em off a d everything looks blue...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 34 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,771
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.