Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have just returned from Sacramento Black Rifle and viewed several stripped lowers that ran from $100 to $200. When I asked the young man behind the counter what explained the difference in price, he said "the quality of anodizing" Huh? What say you? What is your lower of choice to use in a milispec build?

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mostly, whatever I can get my hands on.

Anodizing, when I priced it, was about 6 bucks per lower... FWIW. A bit more if its a hardier anodizing, but certainly not 100 bucks at all...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Noveske, Knight's, LMT, or Daniel Defense.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I went with the Stiller Precision Billet Lower. I haven't put it together yet, but the quality seems excellent.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lowers are either in spec or not. I prefer forged over billet and won't touch cast or plastic. I don't like gimmicks such as building high shelves for a tight upper/lower fit. Roll marks mean little, I hate obnoxious skulls, spiders and such. Don't even care for the S&W on the side.

Basically, fit you upper and lower and hope its in spec.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
i suspect if I was going into battle or an LEO and my life would eventually depend on it, i"d be a bit more picky. But over the years having used a myriad of lowers depending on what was available at the time, I"ve yet to see one with an issue that hasn't allowed a couple of barrels to be burned out on them.. Read that at least 4-5K rounds if not close to 10K per barrel depending...

Always wanted to drop the coin on a SS lower but never did....

YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any milspec forged aluminum lower is fine. Avoid billet, it's heavier and more expensive and makes no difference. I have a Delton and Rguns and couldn't tell the difference if I didn't look at the rollmarks. No problems with either of them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I for one don't understand the "zombie" thing, I guess I am too old to get it.

http://www.zombie-defense.com/

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I always thought that Zombie was a code word, kind of a PC bullshit thing meaning the Muslim Hordes.

I would happily exercise my Noveske against a solid wall of those suckers. Just keep the 30-round Pmags coming!!!!

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always thought that Zombie was a code word, kind of a PC bullshit thing meaning the Muslim Hordes.

Same here Steve! I don't have cable TV, so it was fairly recently that I found out there is a series called walking dead about "zombies". Kinda sheltered life I gots. wink

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We've grown from a nation of needs to a nation of wants. Marketing plays a huge role in almost everything we see. Make it cute, odd, strange or unbelievable and they will buy it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by TWR
Marketing plays a huge role in almost everything we see. Make it cute, odd, strange or unbelievable and they will buy it.

I agree. Just look at our last presidential election for proof.

Anyone have any experience with the polymer lowers?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
NoDak Spud lowers dont have a roll mark fyi.

I'd really like to get a Larue lower for my up coming SBR build, but not for 275.00 for a stripped lower.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you don't get chit from a LR for 275 that a 125-150 buck lower won't do. Except pay for the name.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never had any problems with any lower reguardless of who's name was on it, from Colt to CMMG. I may just be lucky in that reguard but they have all worked well for me. I can understand someone wanting a particular brand though. We like what we like.

I've never owned a plastic one and probably never will. I heard recently PLUMB CRAZY has gone the way of the dodo bird. I guess the "lifetime" guarantee has ended on those blush

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"I heard recently PLUMB CRAZY has gone the way of the dodo bird. I guess the "lifetime" guarantee has ended on those"

Good things come to those that wait. lol.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CaptFlipCapsize
Anyone have any experience with the polymer lowers?

I have put together 2 Frontier Armory polymer lowers One for me, one for my dad. They are very affordable, light weight, and I like like how they turned out. I won't tell you they are a direct replacement for a decent forged, but I like the weight savings. I used all metal pins/springs and triggers when building them. To date I have several hundred rounds through both of them.. no issues.

2 notes: 1. The tolerances are tight. Meaning the pins are difficult to install and take some use before they smooth out. 2. Don't use any lock-tight on the pistol grip screw. It literally won't come back out. (Don't ask me how I know that last part :))

My go to AR is my Spikes, but I have just as much fun shooting the New Frontier.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks, Skivvy, and it looks like I'll be trying a New Frontier polymer lower for my next AR project build. Will advise the Fire on my progress, naturally.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds good. I'm interested to hear what you think.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.