Campfire Ranger
and you won't.ever....

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No issues here, even with the tangsters. Elk, moose, nilgai, black bear, deer, hogs...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first CF rifle was a 77, and I'm still partial to them. The new Hawkeyes are great rifles.

Some don't like the idea of investment cast receivers but when pressed - no one seems to be able to procure a picture of a blown up Ruger action.

Me

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ya' ever try drilling a Ruger investment cast part? My Ruger 22 Hornet still has a snapped off tap in its trigger from my attempt at installing an overtravel stop screw ten years ago. No worries here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jack O'Connor spoke well of them, Bill Ruger was a great gun designer and the things are American. I have had a lot of rifles and the Ruger stacked up well with any of them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you use the wrong drill bits that's what happens.
Bits are available for DHT 1903 Springfields, they'll go through any part on a Ruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I ended up remodeling some of the original stocks just because they were so clubby. They lightened up nicely, though.

it's rare that i find a factory stocked rifle that fit's me as well as my old tang safety ruger .243 did...
thinking perception and physical differences make all the difference...

the mk II rugers stock had too tight a radius on the pistol grip...

the hawkeye is better'n the mkII but still not the great stock of the tang safety...

you'ns mileage may vary... smile

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Don't know don't care. Let them hate....Keeps prices down and the dumb [bleep] can keep using their unsafe pos remingtons...

Seriously,

how many Rem 700s have you had problems with?

We've discussed this a little before and I think you have drunk the kool ade of the ?press?

Since 1975 (IIRC) I've had MORE 700s than any other brand/model. I've not had ONE SINGLE problem of ANY sort.

I have a long time close friend that got 1 that had a burr in the chamber. Gunny fixed in a heart beat.

About the 77s. I've had em and got over em. Ain't looking for one.

I think you talk out your azz too jwall. They are a pos, plain and simple. I've personally experienced them firing on their own (due to tight azz chambers, faulty triggers and safties), not extracting (many [bleep] times), luckilly I've never had a bolt handle fall off or I would have slung a rifle further than you could imagine....Speaking of that, you've got one hell of a good imagination if you think the Ruger 77's arn't capable of being extremely accurate and fully functional and tough as nails. One of the best utilitarian rifles ever made....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They do not? News to me.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think that angled front action screw has a lot of folks bewildered about the whole action. I've had three M77Rs and had no issues with any of the three, but doing a glass-job, if wanted or needed, spooks some people. I never needed to glass mine, they all shot "minute of deer" and at that time, that was all I cared about.

Any goob can smith a Remington (and a lot of them do), but the Ruger makes that tougher to accomplish.

I like the older tang-safety models better than the new ones, the safety is too small for me to manipulate easily.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+ 1 on the tang safety.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I think that angled front action screw has a lot of folks bewildered about the whole action. I've had three M77Rs and had no issues with any of the three, but doing a glass-job, if wanted or needed, spooks some people. I never needed to glass mine, they all shot "minute of deer" and at that time, that was all I cared about.

Any goob can smith a Remington (and a lot of them do), but the Ruger makes that tougher to accomplish.

I like the older tang-safety models better than the new ones, the safety is too small for me to manipulate easily.

I think that the Ruger is easier to bed than a Remington, no need to worry about taping lugs for clearance. There are a lot of folks, some of them smiths who have beliefs about the Ruger and I suspect that they really haven't worked on them much.

One issue with the Ruger is that the angled screw makes some stock work challenging. If the distance between the action and the floorplate changes, the angled screw means that the floor plate will be too tight or too loose.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drive Ford trucks and shoot tang safety M 77s, but it wasn't always that way.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bergersrbest
When you use the wrong drill bits that's what happens.
Bits are available for DHT 1903 Springfields, they'll go through any part on a Ruger.

No wrong bit used... Ever work a Ruger?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had 4 tang safety 77's. 3 were accurate, 1 was not. My IKM77Mk II in .30-06 has shot a good number of 1/2" 3-shot groups. I did this again last Saturday with 180 gr partitions and Ramshot Hunter.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cmg
They do not? News to me.

[Linked Image]

Great picture and roedeer . Where were you hunting? They are my favorite game to hunt.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think you talk out your azz too jwall.

Speaking of that, you've got one hell of a good imagination if you think the Ruger 77's arn't capable of being extremely accurate and fully functional...

First of all, I have no reason to lie. No one is paying me from Remington.

Second, I never said 77s weren't accurate or functional.

Basically I said I don't care them, they're not my cup of tea.

You got my take ALL WRONG.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned 3, 2 tang safety and an MKII. The 22-250 was the most accurate rifle I have owned and I foolishly sold it. My 250 Sav. is Ok, certainly good for its intended purpose. My 7x57 (MKII) had some issues, was sent back to Ruger, fixed in very short order, and turned out to be very accurate. I gave that to my nephew.

My son's 7x57, also a MKII, is very accuarte and a nice rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a coupla LH M77's and they just don't elicit any passion in me.
Firstly I enjoy tinkering with my rifles. Ruger doesn't make that as easy to do as on say a 700 or a Savage.
Secondly I dislike the side swing safety. All the disadvantages of M70 safety with none of the advantages. Did they make any tang safety LH 77's? I like tang safeties.
Thirdly the LH rifles are mostly chambered in pedestrian (albeit effective) cartridges. I just can't find any love in me for the .308, the .30-06, or 22" tubed .270's. And as I said in my first post here, rebarreling isn't as easy on a 77. Doable of course but not as easy as others. If Ruger put out a 24" .270 I'd take a close look.
Fourth, I dislike the fixed positioning of the scope rings and the high price of replacement rings for the 77. Do they make aluminum rings for the 77?
Fifth, I dislike laminated stocks and that seems to be all they offered on their latest run of LH SS 77's.
Sixth, I dislike their weight. Their lightweight rifles have short tubes which I hate even more. No EDGE available for them either IIRC.

They do go reasonably cheaply however and I may have to get another one someday if I run across a killer deal.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had 3 or 4 tangs and MKIIs go thru my buddy and I and we've been blessed as they all shot crazy good. A tang 358 shot groups at 200 yds that were unreal, sold it naturally.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,064
Posts18,521,473
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.