Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
All things considered can someone educate me on whether a 20" barrel on a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .243 is going to be less accurate than a rifle with a "normal" barrel.

I'm looking at more of a "range" gun that may possibly be used for hunting once in a great while. Is the barrel on this gun, which I imagine is lighter and tapered suitable for range work.

Wouldn't it heat up faster with a lighter, less robust barrel?

Would it be that much louder with the shorter barrel?

Any comments appreciated.

mahalo

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All things being equal the shorter,stiffer barrel should be more accurate.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by orion03

That...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks...

On the Win 70 carbine is it the standard barrel, just shorter? Or is it a completely different barrel?

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Carbine' - means just that, I had a 20" M70 Carbine in 7/08.

I would think your rifle in question has a 20" as standard.

It will be louder but not too bad in 243, likely as accurate or more than a longer barrel.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Mahalo 65BR, appreciate the advice.

NRA Member

Carl Jung
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR

It will be louder but not too bad in 243, likely as accurate or more than a longer barrel.

This describes my 20" .243 very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by orion03

That...'specially in .270...

That just begged to be fixed.... grin

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Chamber and bore condition matters more than length.
Stiffness also matters more than length.
Many barrels have been shortened over the years to test for velocity loss. It was usual to find accuracy did not change.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just cut off my 7mm-08 from 24 in. to 21..accuracy was the same, BUT before it would shoot 100 grain Serria hp and 139 grain Horn. to the same point of impact at 100 yards..with the cut groups were the same, but the 100 grain shot several inches higher..The muzzle blast was much more noticeable to me..most of my rifles are 26 inches or longer...

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kaumheimer

mahalo

No, actually, heavy barrels heat faster than thin barrels... More surface area for the volume of steel sheds heat faster.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Kaumheimer

mahalo

No, actually, heavy barrels heat faster than thin barrels... More surface area for the volume of steel sheds heat faster.
Since when? Lighter barrels heat faster but cool quicker. Shorter barrels in theory are more accurate than longer barrels. Only thing you lose is a little velocity and that doesnt even happen all the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just since physics made a difference...

To understand the argument we assume the only heating we are worried about is that which is hot enough to damage a barrel. Obviously the thinner barrel will "feel" hotter sooner, but it will be shedding that heat faster than a heavy barrel.

After a fast string a heavy barrel will have retained more heat energy to bring it up to temp and from then on will cool significantly slower. Additional shooting will raise the internal surface temp of the barrel (the issue that matters) more and cool it more slowly than a thin barrel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Folks need to put a piece of tin foil on a cast iron skillet in a 400 degree oven.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just since physics made a difference...

To understand the argument we assume the only heating we are worried about is that which is hot enough to damage a barrel. Obviously the thinner barrel will "feel" hotter sooner, but it will be shedding that heat faster than a heavy barrel.

After a fast string a heavy barrel will have retained more heat energy to bring it up to temp and from then on will cool significantly slower. Additional shooting will raise the internal surface temp of the barrel (the issue that matters) more and cool it more slowly than a thin barrel.
Thats what I'm saying. I must have misunderstood you. A thin barrel will heat quicker but cool down faster than a heavy barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will add that shooting 5 shots quickly in one of my ultra light rifles will cause groups to open up. That has not happened with heavy barrels in my experience. Once the heavies get hot, they take a good bit longer to cool down in comparison.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, I think you misunderstand... Thin barrels heat up faster very briefly, and not in the realm of damaging them... Heavy barrels heat up faster to the point of possible damage because the heat delivered to the barrel is the same in either weight (all else equal, of course) but thin barrels move it out much quicker... therefore, heavy barrels heat up faster where it matters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So are you talking in terms of accuracy lost or barrel damage? Not arguing just trying to understand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Physics, more surface area per mass in a THIN tube....so they do cool sooner.

Re: Heat etc, 3 shot groups have many advantages and can tell most shooters what they need to know.

Often the hotter a bbl gets, groups often open up, and as the heat builds, the steel in the throat gets softer/easier to erode each subsequent round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it easier to damage a bull barrel than a thin barrel? Seems to me that in fast firing, the thin would damage sooner. Do the heavier barrels actually damage quicker because they are not able to release the heat as fast? If so, I would think it would take more shots in a fast fire situation to cause the same damage in the heavier barrel. What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 54 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,610
Posts18,511,706
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.