Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Got a Ted Williams Model 100 (M100) in .30-30, in kinda rough shape. It was given to me by a friend of my dad's a few years back as partial repayment for work dad had done on his aircraft. The thing shoots great but the stocks are rough, and the bluing is almost gone on the receiver. I want to get the metal refinished and make it look good, but I also want it to be functional since it will be used primarily for hunting and scouting during the off season. I'm thinking that Cerakote will be the best option for the metal, as it both looks good and is durable. I also want to do something about the stocks, and sights on it.

The factory stock I'm sure looked great when it was new, but now it looks like somebody played baseball with it as the bat and rocks as the ball. Okay, I exaggerate a little, but it does have a few deep chunks of wood missing in places that can't really be blended out or filled in. At this point I'm not sure if I want wood or synthetic, and that's partially going to depend on what is available. I know most of the parts on this rifle are interchangable with the Winchester Model 94 (M94) , but I'm not sure about the stocks. From what I've seen it appears that the M94 butt stock is identical would simply bolt on. The fore stock on the other hand is different enough that I'm not sure. It almost appears that I can remove the M100 fore stock and cap, and install a M94 fore stock and aft barrel band in it's place. If I knew someone with a M94 I'd find out for myself, but I don't know anyone. Anyone have any experience with this rifle, and know if it would swap?

As for the sights. The area I hunt in is densely wooded and in the early morning it can be difficult to see the front bead sight on this thing. To be honest my eyes don't work the best with old iron sights anyway. I want to install a fiber optic sights, and probably a peep sight. Actually I wouldn't mind having something like the William's fire sight set, the one with the peep sight that they make for the M94. I know the Peep itself would bolt right up to the action on my M100, the difference is in the front sight. Nearly every M94 out there seems to have a front sight ramp. My M100 came with just a post no ramp (not sure if any of them did), and I'm having a hard time figuring out what front post I would need to go with the peep sight. So once again anyone got any experience with sights on these M100s?

Appreciate any input
-Josh

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
goggle williams gun sight company - good luck with it!

J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I did Google Williams gun sight company, that's why I'm here asking. They list nothing for the Ted Williams Model 100. I measured the front sight post, but from my reading there (and elsewhere) it seems that with the installation of the peep sight the original front sights are too low. I could find no suggestion as to how much taller or shorter the front sight post would need to be. Was hoping that someone here might have had some experience with this rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Model 100 that I replaced the barrel on and several Model 94's. I tinker with these little rifles a lot.

The butt stock is a standard post-64 Model 94 stock.

The fore end is a little different. There are two different ways to go. The Model 100 has a hanger dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel that the fore end cap screw goes through. The Model 94 has a slot cut through the bottom of the barrel that the band screw goes through. The hole in the hanger looks like it lines up with the slot in the Model 94 barrel. It looks like you can use a Model 94 carbine fore end and band. I think the band screw will go through the Model 100 fore end hanger and the Model 94 stock will fit.

The other way is to modify a Model 94 fore end. The fore ends are the same between the receiver and the barrel band or nose cap. So you can cut the front of a standard 94 stock off to fit the nose cap on the Model 100.

I am visiting a friend who also tinkers with Model 94's a lot tomorrow. He has spare parts and maybe I can verify the above tomorrow without taking my rifles apart. I will also look at the front sight heights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago Numerich had a ton of new M94 butt stocks in their catalogs and I was often tempted to order some, just to have a few handy someday. All gone now, apparently?

Many of them were leftovers from runs of commemorative M94s and had the old "crescent" butt plate configuration.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Marc
I have a Model 100 that I replaced the barrel on and several Model 94's. I tinker with these little rifles a lot.

The butt stock is a standard post-64 Model 94 stock.

Not sure I can see the need to replace the barrel on either unless its slap wore out. Mine's a 30-30 and works perfectly fine as is. Like I think I said it's only problems are cosmetic and the sights.

I thought that was the case on the butt stock, thanks gor confirming it.

Originally Posted by Marc
The other way is to modify a Model 94 fore end. The fore ends are the same between the receiver and the barrel band or nose cap. So you can cut the front of a standard 94 stock off to fit the nose cap on the Model 100.

I think I'll do ti this way. I suspected that might be the case, but didn't want to cut up a new stock to find out I was wrong. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the M100's cap to the M94's band.

I appreaciate the help.

J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by dubePA
Years ago Numerich had a ton of new M94 butt stocks in their catalogs and I was often tempted to order some, just to have a few handy someday. All gone now, apparently?

Many of them were leftovers from runs of commemorative M94s and had the old "crescent" butt plate configuration.

They certainly aren't showing any now. I prefer flat buttplate myself so those probably wouldn't have interested me. At the moment I'm leaning towards a ramline synthetic and make it fit as mentioned above. This is the rifle I'm most likely to carry while walking in the off season, so the lighter weight might be welcome (not that these are heavy to begin with).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fill the holes, sand, and paint the stock with Krylon textured paint. Feels like sandpaper, nice grip, easy to repair if needed, wears for years.

LOL
J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Okay, I know I said any input appreciated, but that's just not how I do things. Krylon (spray paint in general) has has it's uses but to me it just doesn't belong anywhere on a gun. You are more than welcome to do that on your rifle, but I'm not going to do it to mine. If I'm going to spend 150+ bucks on getting the rifle refinished, I'm certainly not going to go there on the stock.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
maybe call williams gun sight company and ask? did that with fire sights for a ruger and they had a good alternate suggestion. good luck, Mel

IC B3

J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'll give that a try. Last time I asked a company about a part, they said they couldn't give any info about part fitment it was up to buyer to determine if part would fit their rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoshT
Okay, I know I said any input appreciated, but that's just not how I do things. Krylon (spray paint in general) has has it's uses but to me it just doesn't belong anywhere on a gun. You are more than welcome to do that on your rifle, but I'm not going to do it to mine. If I'm going to spend 150+ bucks on getting the rifle refinished, I'm certainly not going to go there on the stock.

For stock function, the best factory gun I felt was a Browning BLR 450 Marlin with that rubbery camo coating, forget now what they call it, but that was a nice grip and look. Metal was stainless, but stock was nice.

LOL
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
go to www.boydboys.com, I think it is. Boyds stocks, great stocks and really reasonable prices. I think most of them can be had finished or unfinished. I personally would NOT get a fiber optic front sight. They aren't fine enough to aim with well. Might see if there's a trijicon one available, or get a slightly bigger bead on one.. Or if there are scope mount holes, or could be ones put on the front of the receiver, get a nice hollographic sight. They weigh nothing, and no particular eye relieve needed.

Just went and looked an Boyds no longer Boydboys, just do a search for Boyds replacement stocks, and it'll come up. These are brand new stocks too.

Last edited by ghost; 10/11/12.

Ghost
J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm fimilar with boyd's stocks, planning to get one for my 788 next year. They only have the butt stock, none of the for grips.

I'll check those out, but I've never had a problem with fiber optic sights not being accurate. Most of the shots I take with this thing will probably be 50-75 yards max. The like other model 94 top ejects this thing only has the side scope mounts. No real place for a red-dot as I think you were refering to.

Last edited by JoshT; 10/12/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Josh, I compared the Model 100 fore stock and the model 94 stock and it should work fine to cut the nose of the 94 stock off.

I couldn't get any info on the sights.

I changed the barrel on my Model 100 to a 24" barrel to get a longer sight radius for silhouette. The extra 4" of barrel is worth 5 targets for me. The original 20" barrel is an excellent barrel though. It was very accurate. I still have it and may put it back on some day.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe some help on the sights. I have worked mostly with Marlin rifles but can probably help with the 94/100. From what I understand you need a barrel mounted front sight instead of a ramp mounted front. When going from factory rear to any of the Williams aperture rear I have needed from .075 to .125 taller front for the rifle to zero properly. This measurement is from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. Measure the one you have and order a front of your choosing that is .125 or so taller and you should be good. The Willaims rear sights have pretty generous adjustment range. Brownells would be a good place to "shop" for what you want.
Hope this helps, and good luck,
Rick

Last edited by RickinTN; 10/13/12.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Numrich also sells a height adjustable front sight with different inserts to cover a range of elevations. They are not fiber-optic, but I have one on a Browning A-bolt and it works slick. I mounted a flip up redfield peep to the scope base and have them for back-up.
I also have at least one 94 Williams peep I can part with.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would be interested in the height adjustable front sight. I looked at Numrich and couldn't find it, maybe my searching skills. Do you have a manufacturers name or part number?
Thanks for your help,
Rick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,827
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.