Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
These issues about customs come around every so often it seems. Mine are usually with taking items across the border. I have even taken a flag pole.
The only thing to do is be legal, both sides, declare everything, and give straight, polite,short answers to the questions. Then hope for the best.
The eighth of a mile passing customs is the most appehensive of an entire trip.
By the way, nice one Steve. Things are never dull with you onboard.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The only thing to do is be legal, both sides, declare everything, and give straight, polite,short answers to the questions. Then hope for the best.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winna, winna, chicken dinna!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
B
Steve, can I call on you to ride shotgun with me next time I go to those excited states?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
As nice as chicken dinner might be, I'd be be thrilled every time with , "Have a good trip ".

J
J
I don't post much but have a story that applies.

About 5 years ago I had two trips planned, one to the Sikani River for bison and one to Alberta for whitetail. I decided to drive since they were back to back. A customer, who I sort of knew thought he would like a road trip cross country and asked if he could ride along and then he would fly home from Fort St John and I would continue on my hunt. Ok, could use the company I figured.

We crossed the border in North Portal N.D/Sask. everything was going good. Filled out my paperwork for my two rifles ,338 for bison and my 300wsm deer rifle. No problems. Then they asked George, a normally very quiet person where his guns were. Went like this:

Lady agent: we are your guns?
George : don't have any.
Lady agent: what do you mean ,you don't have any?
George : I am only going for a ride.
Lady agent: let me see if I have this right. He has two guns,you have none and are driving from Pa to B.C. Just to go for a ride.
George: yes , do you have a problem with that?
Jim(me): oh crap!
Lady agent:You in that room, you over there!

I have crossed there plenty of times without issue but one smart ass answer from a normally mild mannered guy was all it took. When dealing with customs,anywhere keep your mouth shut and it is yes sir,no sir

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
At some point you must have gotten past customs. How long were you there? A bit like, "Aside from that,Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?" How was the rest of the trip?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I notice Minnmarcus suspiciously absent from the thread, could he be the next applicant for your ignore list! cool

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Any time I cross the border going south to USA, I figure I am entering a foreign country -- a very close foreign country, and one with which MY country has good relations and friendship, but a foreign country nonetheless. I want to be a good ambassador for my country which I feel like I represent anytime I go out of Canada.

My Mom and Dad taught me to be polite, and not to assume that I held any special rights or priviledges when leaving my country for a foreign destination. I am 62 years old. I try to act accordingly. Most normal people do. wink

As a Canadian in Canada, I have rights and responsibilities that come with citizenship. In ANY OTHER COUNTRY, I do not have those rights. I try to act accordingly. Most normal people do. wink

Last edited by the_shootist; 10/18/12.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
J
Wabigoon,
About an extra hour. All was fine after that and the rest of the trip went off without a hitch except for me reminding my driving partner what the hell was he thinking. Turned out he had a problem with authority figures. Got a good bull the first day and since I did not have to be to Alberta for ten days I spent it with the outfitter who had resident hunters in camp. Got to be in on 2-3 more kills and helped pack them out. Great trip.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Splendid points. When someone is a guest in my home. I expect them to not track in with muddy boots, spit on the floor, or wear cap at table. Not he quite the same, but reverse that when a guest, anywhere.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Blame Canada! grin

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back in the 80's I went across for the first time.Crossed at the North Portal crossing.I had long hair a dirty cowboy hat and a big wad of cash.Had several orders to buy 52gr speer hollow points for all my trapper buddies. The nice bordergaurd insisted I was a vagrant looking for work in his country.I kept insisting I was holidaying spending money and chasing women.Finaly the guy I was travling with told them he was a preacher,going to preform a wedding ceramony and I was with him. The guard imediatly let us cross. How does that make sense I say? That guy was really a preacher going to work without a work permit and I was honestly going to chase girls and lay around.It was funny in a scary kinda way smile

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have never had a problem going either direction. Have been 2,3, and 4 guys ranging in age from 14-72. Everyone is always polite and pleasant to the officials. The officials have ranged from very business-like to comfortably friendly. (Though I have never experienced it myself, I do wonder why after any kind of a search, be it vehicles at the border or an on-property search, there isn't some provision for things being put back the way that they were in the beginning, either by those who took things apart or in the form of reimbursement for someone else doing it - provided nothing incriminating was found.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything was going well last time until my wife stated she had oranges and apples going into Washington State, pull over up there "Sir". Fruit confiscated, car searched, passport numbers recorded. I don't blame the US border guards, responsiblity lies with my wife, who wouldn't listen to me about the fruit, go figure.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife told a US border guard who made us give up a couple nectarines once, "Enjoy the fruit." I just about died. We had words later. wink She said she had no idea that he would take it like she figured he would pilfer some contraband. Last time she's said that. He was good about it, but he certainly explained that the fruit went into a dumpster.

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bbqguy
Steve, can I call on you to ride shotgun with me next time I go to those excited states?

Sure. I'll be the guy wearing the leather mask and swim fins.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by n007
Everything was going well last time until my wife stated she had oranges and apples going into Washington State, pull over up there "Sir". Fruit confiscated, car searched, passport numbers recorded. I don't blame the US border guards, responsiblity lies with my wife, who wouldn't listen to me about the fruit, go figure.

I'm curious as to your advice to your wife. Was it, "You can't take those across, don't bring them," or "Shut up and hope they don't inspect us,"?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was;

"You know that we can't take fruit into the USA"

"Well that can't be right as the oranges are from California"

"Yeah I know but they might have been infested by something while in Canada"

"Infested in the grocery store? You aren't making any sense"

"I suggest we leave the fruit and buy some across the border, probably cheaper anyway"

"What throw out good food?"

I gave up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I completely understand. It is often much better for domestic tranquility if one chooses silence over being right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been married long enough to know to not even mention "I told you so" after being finally let go by the border guards after an hour delay.

We bought some fruit once into Oregon, were questioned before going into California, showed the oranges, were told "Thats a California orange, no problem"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 17,326 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,870
Posts18,537,848
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
2 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.