Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm lucky enough to be going on a 5 day bowhunt in late Oct. in southern OH hill country. I thought I'd spend the mornings and eves in the stand, but will go insane sitting all day in the stand.

I'm thinking about climbing down about 10:30 or so and trying my hand at still hunting during the afternoons. I don't have much experience at still hunting though, much less with a bow.

Anybody have any experience trying this? Any suggestions or tips other than the obvious still hunting techniques?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like every time I get out of my stand @ 10:30am, that's when I spook off the biggest bucks I've ever seen that we're just approaching my stand... Stay in the stand as long as you can stand it. But that's JMHO

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
is this a guided or semi-guide hunt or is this your property or public land? Reason I ask is if the property is being managed by someone such as a guide or pay to hunt, he probably won't want you out of your stand. If its public land or land you have then that is up to you. Still hunting is an art and if you don't have it all your going to do is stir up the area. Sure you may get lucky and stir one up at you. But chances are you won't. I would take chlinstructor's advise and stay in the stand as still as possiable. Good luck either way.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
don't have much experience at still hunting though, much less with a bow.

Not the time to learn this skill, hunt mornings and evenings in your stand, if the pre rut is kicking good (which it may well be at that time) sit all day

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Still hunting is about lots of patience and wind in your favor.

For me its not much different than being in a stand, as you are still much longer than you move. IE take a step or two and stay there for minutes at a time scanning the area.

If I had to I'd give it a try, but think more along how many hours it will take you to cover 100 yards....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, I side with the others in if you want best chances... sit still... but if you have to roam, you have to do it wind in face, sun at back and slower than an inchworm.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've killed a few years ago in S.E. Ohio. Still hunting mostly.
Slip and sit was my deal. Killed more from the stand, had more fun on the ground.

Learn to use other hunters for "bird dogs" when you can. Killed several nice bucks that were watching their back trail more than my direction.

Took a few deer in the nastiest weather you could imagine, as well.

I hunted Zaleski, Dean, Hocking Hills, Wildcat Hollow, Muskingum River banks, AEP Lands, Wayne National Forest........
Didn't gun hunt much at all, mostly bow or muzzle loader.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost all public land hunting out west is still hunting on the ground. When picking a place to stop, I like to get in the middle of some clutter that is expansive enough to come to full draw in most directions without being in full view. I tend to prefer one big tree and then other smaller stuff including some horizontal clutter.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the comments.

This is going to be at Tar Hollow State forest, so I can do as I please, but your comments make me think I should sit tight and let others stir the pot for me. Should be plenty of hunters around as this is a well attended event. The reason I thought I'd give it a shot was that I haven't been there before, so don't know the terrain well and thought I might use my wanderings to locate some good stand sites. I've got topo maps but nothing beats boots on the ground.

The terrain is anything from dense brush to mature forest.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would look at aerial maps if you can't get there to scout. Every little thing you can do before hand will up the odds for you. Look for natural funnels and pinch points. Look for swampy areas that could give deer a safehaven. But even better get there and scout.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's been about 25 years since I was at Tar Hollow. Took a nice fat doe the last time, IIRC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're tech savy at all (doesn't take much), put some movies or games on your phone.

I use just one ear bud and if I'm hunting in the morning I'm usually in my stand at minimum of a 1/2 hour before I can see and in the evening I'm out at least an hour (usually more) before I will see much.

The 2nd I see movement or until I think the magical hour has appeared I put the phone away or whatever it is. Some may mock me, but it's enabled me to sit on average a lot longer than I normally have and most years I take an above average buck in my area.

PS: Also agree, not the time to take up still hunting. That's tough enough when you think you know what you're doing and the conditions have to be about perfect (damp floor and some wind).

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funnel areas are what I'd look for on the maps,and set up, but think what the wind may be doing and pay attention to that overall.

Its hard to sit all day, but worst case I'd crawl down and get into the brush close to my stand, even possibly base of my tree( assuming tree stand) and nap instead of going out... I"ve woken up a few times in the afternoon out West with elk within bow range...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Seems like every time I get out of my stand @ 10:30am, that's when I spook off the biggest bucks I've ever seen that we're just approaching my stand... Stay in the stand as long as you can stand it. But that's JMHO
About 10:00 the big bucks get up to make their scrape run after the scent and sound of hunters has retreated to camp for r and r.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
When Nov comes I bring a big pee bottle , a paperback book and spend the entire day in the stand. Funnels, areas where the does bed and get up and feed during the day.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I have had luck still hunting on windy days and days with a lite rain.

Not much luck still hunting with a bow in dry conditions

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll need to get to and from your stand at some point. Nothing wrong with practicing the technique then, unless you're planning on walking to and from a known stand location outside legal hours during the night. Any legal hunting hours you'd be travelling to and from your stand, cover the ground with good technique, scan often, and expect to see deer. Otherwise, I'd not plan to scout around your stand location during the day with the intent of getting back into the stand. You'd be better served at going from point A to point B and staying put if your stand location is known and well pegged beforehand. If on the other hand, you are flying blind and must find a location where to place a stand, I'd have an advanced plan on where to start and where to head and would still hunt during legal hours while travelling. Once I find an optimum spot, I'd stay put and let things settle. Don't see how you can scout out and pick a stand location for the first time stumbling around on day one in an unknown location in the dark.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yeah, we're getting down there on Friday afternoon to scout out the area and to possibly set up stands for the next morning. I will probably do as you say and slowly work my way in, unless we are really pressed for time. I can always set up a stand in the dark. Since I have several days, I'd rather take my time and find a good spot though, even if it takes part of the next day to do it. I killed a nice doe on opening day (my first with bow), so the freezer has been fed. With a bunch of season left, I'm looking for wall decoration more than meat.

Once I'm set, it looks like pee bottle and audiobook time, hopefully periodically interrupted by four legged friends.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think it takes more patience to still hunt(properly) than sit in a stand....and I don't have that kind of patience!

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 204guy, 51 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,894
Posts18,498,029
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.