Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Any body have any experience with the Huskemaw scopes? I'm considering one of their 5-20 LR scopes for my Cooper Montana Varminter (243 Win)and possibly a 3-12 for a 7 mag.

How do the optics stack up to Leupy VX III, Zeiss Conquest, etc. for brightness and resolution? Positive and repeatable return to zero on the turrets?

Any first hand info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mike-

Last edited by MickeyD; 10/14/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My first question is why the Huskemaw over scopes that actually have a solid reputation in the long range community?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
They are butt-ugly, overpriced and a Cooper deserves better.

Someday you may want to sell the scope - I think it would be hard item to sell if you ever want to get rid of it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They are gimmicky and overpriced....if you can overlook that they might be worth some consideration........no look elsewhere!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
buy a NightForce

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the all the input.

I tend to be more than a little skepticle of the wild claims and having never seen one up close thought I'd ask here hopeing to find some first hand comaparisons to the Leupy's and Zeiss Conquests...scopes I have a lot of experience with.

One of their claims to fame is that they are made in the same factory as Night Force. As if that meant they were the same quality?? Their attempts to snuggle up to NightForce is a BIG red flag.

Resale value has never been a consideration in purchaseing optics. So far I haven't sold ANY of the optics I've ever bought and that's going back to 1965.

I did consider Night Force and have a couple of friends that own them. Very impressive but they are so danged HEAVY. Two pounds of scope is just too much.

Thanks again!

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For that price, one should consider the Swaro Z5. I have a 3.5-18x42 BT and I like it a lot. It's 15.9 oz. and has a 1" tube.

The Z5 5-25x52 weighs 17.5 oz. and has a side focus A/O. I think the glass is as good or better than anything mentioned and Z5's can be ordered with several ranging reticles or the ballistic turret.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a thunk, but if you like attributes of the Huskemaw scope you may like the Greybull Precision scope. IIRC, it carries the same warranty as the other Leupold scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Know of only one in use, on a .30-378 of friend. I've loaded for, and shot that beast (then gladly turn it back over). The scope, and it's system of making corrections is accurate enough, but it's complicated, and limited to a particular set of ballistics (read, one bullet, and velocity).

Not for me, but then again, neither is shooting critters at the ranges the system is designed for. TOOOOOO far for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Leupy VX6 CDS.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I punch paper, and ring steel at long range, using high quality optics, and super-dooper rifles. Comes time to hunt, a 25-06 with a 2x7 Leupy is pretty racy for me. Often my shots are actually pretty close, and lend themself quite nicely to say a 300 Savage, or 22 caliber of some sort.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Leupy VX6 CDS.

I agree. The VX-6 2-12x42 with CDS is hard to beat.

Any Leupold with a CDS represents the best buy (value for the buck, including resale value) for turret scopes on the market, IMHO.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me like only one responder has actually shot one. I haven't shot one either, so there's no way I can say yea or nay. And neither can these other guys. Yes I own Leupolds but are they better than Huskemaw? I don't know.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've shot one, though my experience is pretty limited. It was ok, nothing to write home about optically.

I would personally rather have a Leupold (or even the Greybull version if I was set on the windage hold reticle), because if the scope ever quits, there is a good warranty to fall back on. With the Huskemaw, who knows?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Buddy of mine has a couple of them. They are pretty clear...could easily see 7mm bullet holes at 335 yards.
They do have a funky turret though...each click is 1/3 moa.
Plenty pricey but he can afford to experiment with all the toys....I know I am too cheap to see the value.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They will not make you a better shooter.Way to clunky on the rifle I shot.You can get a good name Brand Scope for the same price or less.They pimp them on long Range Shooting because they are paid to.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Again, Thanks for all the input.

Ya, a Swarovski Z5 would be great, but at nearly twice the price not likely to happen.

The more I look around, the more it looks like I'll mate my 7 mag to a Leupy VX 6 2 - 12 x 42 CDS. I've had this rifle since 1964 and the scope on it has to go...OLD Redfiled 3-9 of the same age. To say this scope sucks is a HUGE understatement.

I bought the Cooper to shoot itty bitty critters and the occasional coyote at extreme ranges. Not sure what will find a home on this one. Perhaps a Leupy MK4 8.5-25 with M1 turrets. The search continues......

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257wby
Sounds to me like only one responder has actually shot one. I haven't shot one either, so there's no way I can say yea or nay. And neither can these other guys. Yes I own Leupolds but are they better than Huskemaw? I don't know.

that a room full of rifle loonies produces only one fellow using that off brand, tells you something............

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by 257wby

that a room full of rifle loonies produces only one fellow using that off brand, tells you something............

EXCELLENT point!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Thanks for the all the input.

I tend to be more than a little skepticle of the wild claims and having never seen one up close thought I'd ask here hopeing to find some first hand comaparisons to the Leupy's and Zeiss Conquests...scopes I have a lot of experience with.

One of their claims to fame is that they are made in the same factory as Night Force. As if that meant they were the same quality?? Their attempts to snuggle up to NightForce is a BIG red flag.

Resale value has never been a consideration in purchaseing optics. So far I haven't sold ANY of the optics I've ever bought and that's going back to 1965.

I did consider Night Force and have a couple of friends that own them. Very impressive but they are so danged HEAVY. Two pounds of scope is just too much.

Thanks again!

-Mike-

Nightforce scopes are designed to be extremely rugged and that means more "beef"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.