Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm normally a rubber boot guy for deer hunting, but am going on a hunt where I'll need my leather LaCrosse clodhoppers for support. What do you guys use for leather conditioning/waterproofing that doesn't have scents that will spook deer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your kidding, right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bacon grease mixed with peanut butter.........you don't have any bears there do you?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I know what you're talking about and I've read several articles that say don't wear leather anything for deer hunting. Leather boots do have an odor. So do your feet, your mouth and other areas that also give off odor. You can minimize the odor, but you can't eliminate it completely.

There was an interesting article I read in Ontario Out of Doors that tested many of the scent reducing or eliminating products on the market using a trained search and rescue dog. Bottom line, all the scent elimination products didn't do squat, the dog went straight to the target. The only thing they found that did work was a good cover scent, such as scent wafers in pine, earth or oak. The dog still found the target, but it did confuse him for a bit as to the exact location. YMMV

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I put baking soda inside mine. Not sure it helps but won't hurt.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it helps I accidently pissed on my boot before I shot my deer.

"What the hell? It smells like Pepsi on someone's bo..." and I shot him.

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
If it helps I accidently pissed on my boot before I shot my deer.

"What the hell? It smells like Pepsi on someone's bo..." and I shot him.

grin

Over here its more like coffee... grin

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used whatever is native to the area I'm hunting for decades. Simply kicking (or scratching if frozen) the ground beneath your feet while standing is as good a "cover" scent as you can get in my humble opinion. Nipping a couple small cedar branches, or stuffing your pocket with corn leaves are other examples.

Never ceases to amaze me when hunters start spritzing pineapple, or hickory scent where neither is a natural occurance.

True success of course is to hunt into the wind (preferably with the sun at your back too).

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
While someone besides me may have gotten away with wearing leather boots and still shot a deer with a firearm, I bet that I am the only person on Earth who has killed a deer with an arrow while wearing not only leather boots, but other bits and pieces of leather in the form of a belt, knife sheath, wallet, watch strap, and other items now forgotten. blush

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My slings are all leather. So is my wallet.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
if muzzle loader or rifle/shotgun hunting would not be concerned. Can smoke wear clothes from a night before spent in a bar whorehouse . Just hunt the wind.

Now if bow hunting from a stand I am a scent Nazi. would be very scent conscious . Rubber boots, clothes washed in baking soda, washing every day with u scented soap etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If there are cattle in the area you walk through, finding a nice, fresh flop to step in with both feet is a great cover idea. The jury is still out on finding a skunk to annoy into spraying you; there are those who maintain that it will cause the deer to go on alert, while others swear it won't. (My favorite is still the guy who gargled with Tink's #69.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I knew a guy once who wouldn't go after a deer or anything else without sloshing some Pine-sol on his boots. Swore up and down by it.

made sense to me at the time.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite is still the guy who gargled with Tink's #69.)

>laughin'<

That, qualifies as kook of the year material.

*nods in agreement 'bout stepping in cowchit*

I have several racks from very nice whitetails I've been fortunate enough to kill over the years, but only one that I had a shoulder mount done on. I've never had him "scored" but have been told by a friend who scores, he'd be close to (if not) 170. I was perched on a five-gallon bucket, rifle across my feet, sipping a just-poured cup of steaming coffee that I'd poured from my thermos when the buck showed up (upwind of course). I swapped cup, for rifle, shot once, swapped back to coffee, and gathered him in after I finished enjoying the java.

Last edited by Mako25; 10/21/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scottydog
I'm normally a rubber boot guy for deer hunting, but am going on a hunt where I'll need my leather LaCrosse clodhoppers for support. What do you guys use for leather conditioning/waterproofing that doesn't have scents that will spook deer?

You do know that people have been killing things for a very long time whilst wearing leather goods in various states of decay...successfully...don't you?

I cannot wait until someone works out that squatting for a crap has all sorts of scented (?) ramifications....we will probably have to start carrying a bottle to piss in as well.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been wearing a pair of leather Brownings since 2003. The first year, the biggest buck I had ever seen came down the path I'd just walked and stood under my stand. He's on the wall now.

Once in a very very long while, I will catch a deer making note of my footsteps when I'm in my smelly work boots, but that is rare. I think they are more concerned about the crushed vegetation than the smell of what made them. I have yet to see a negative reaction.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I blame magazines. They've plum run out of useful stuff to say. So in order to fill pages to sell, they create solutions to problems that don't exist. And they're obviously in cahoots with gimmicky product manufacturers.

Got a rubber boot to sell??? No problem. We'll create a problem that requires rubber boots to solve.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I personally had a yearling bust me when it cut the trail I walked in on a while earlier. I was wearing all rubber boots and had just walked over 1/4 of a mile down a path and through several puddles.

Since then I worry more about where I step than what I step into.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I put baking soda inside mine. Not sure it helps but won't hurt.
If baking soda absorbs odors, it absorbs your odors. Then as you walk, you're sloughing off thousands(or millions?) of human funk impregnated microscopic baking soda encapsuli. Leaving an ever better trail of scent.

laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes they will smell you but many times you can still kill them anyway. This one smelled the stinking tennis shoes my bud was wearing that he cleans horse stables in when we put the stand up 6 hours before. Last evening of primitive weapons.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1moredeer, 204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 56 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,889
Posts18,497,940
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.