Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GOT THIS from famdamly in the states..... any of u have to deal with this????? I took out the names with ----.......... >"Spent a few days last week with Dad up on the �North Shore� enjoying everything big, boats, docks, trains, lakes, waves, cliffs.

Spending that much one on one time with dad left ---and I with a better sense of how he's doing overall. The one thing that struck us both is his failing memory.
It is now declining at a more rapid pace. For example,
-asked many times a day the name of the town we were in --------,
-would asked "were are we going," and we'd repeat again "to see the big boats dad."
-would take his water pill, write it down on his notepad and a moment or two, or 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes later say, "did I take that pill?"
-he often called Lake Superior "that river."
-watched a short film � Split Rock Lighthouse� and afterwards as ------- shared a few tidbits about the movie �dad was surprised by the information� sayin, "Really, I didn't know that."....had just watched it earlier that day......

And lastly, few weeks back Dad shared that while driving to ----- to attend mass he got lost in the town and "ended up way out in the country, I was so turned around, luckily I turned around and got back into town and found the church."
His distant memories are spot on. Recent and immediate memory is what's declining. or Alzheimer's dementia?. His family history shows his mom had it and his sister l has it, which increase his chances of having it..........ANY input from folks at the campfire had to deal with this??> he lives by himself at the farm.......a long ways from help.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have been taking care of mother for a while.I have to put her in a facility very soon.Her doctor told me it was time a year ago.Doctor was right.I understand.Dont put off doing what you know needs to be done.It will get much worse.You may have been with him on a good day.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you need to get professional help as soon as possible, to diagnose what is actually happening, it could be a variety of things. Often the far memories are right on, but one cannot state what they had for breakfast. It manifests itself in a variety of ways, and functions don't all go equally at the same time.
An example with my mother was she could not dial a telephone when they went to multiple area codes here in phoenix, but she knew to the penny the interest checks she was to get and when each month.
A very prudish woman, as it progressed she would remark in a restaurant about some young male waiters cute butt, and at times would reach out for a pinch.
I am afraid after consultation you are going to have to make some very hard decisions for his welfare.
I have had many many clients with this. It is a heart rendering condition.
With my mother, in many respects in talking to her, you would not know there was anything wrong. But I ended up putting a voice activated tape recorder on her phone to screen who was calling and what they wanted.
She would send out blank checks, signed, to the utility company as an example. In the retirement area i work in, there are scams all the time attacking older people, such as you won the lottery, send money to collect the prize.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a client right now that has been in the emergency/hospital at least nine times this year from falling.
She did it again a couple of days ago, couldn't get up and peed all over her self. A day later she had no memory of it, and relayed the story to us as told to her by the care providers where she lives.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
In the retirement area i work in, there are scams all the time attacking older people, such as you won the lottery, send money to collect the prize.

I hope there's a special place in h_ell for scum like that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HOSPITAL ASAP

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah.

I shouldn't have read this damndable thread. (not a shot at the poster - just very unpleasant recollections).

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Dementia is not restricted to just Alzheimers. My Father died from Parkinson's a few years ago and suffered greatly from loss of short term memory. Long term was spot on and many times when I couldn't recall a name, I would call him and he always remembered.

Get him tested asap and deal with what ever is causing it. Sometimes it can be delayed or treated symptonly with medication. At least find out what you have to deal with.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Drive down to the mail-box and end up 90 miles away.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BTDT.... you or some one will have to take away his keys, home and life as he knows it. He will soon forget it all. If there is no one for him to be given care/assistance to start interviewing assisted living homes NOW! One will stand out for him. Gotta make sure he is taken care of. Our parents took care of us and it becomes our responsibility to do the same for them.

Ephesians 6:2
�Honor your father and mother� (this is the first commandment with a promise),

1 Timothy 5:4
But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Man, you need to get some Medical & legal advice yesterday!! Been there, done that, got the scars, Either of the two demons you have listed will lead you down a dark and lonely road. Decisions and options will have to be made, the sooner the better. Time is not your friend here, some of the decisions will be much easier while your Dad is still cognizant. I will pray for you and your family.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been through it with Dad. He died at 92 in a VA Alz ward. It's harder on the family than the victim because the victim doesn't know he's got it. It tears the family apart. When we had to admit Dad to the VA, he kept asking what he'd done wrong to be put in prison. He never did figure out that it was a hospital. He had a private room but spent a lot of time in a central area with other vets and their coloring books and other toys.
Mom kept him at home as long as she could, but at 85, she just couldn't deal with him any more. He was killing her off due to lack of sleep.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Best wishes but get help soon. It's not unheard of for someone to turn on the stove and then forget it's on.

Dale

This space for rent

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You have started a painful journey. Prayers for you and your family.
I would agree with the advice to seek medical and legal opinions.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My brothers and I went through this with Mom. Dad took care of her quite well until he passed. We saw that Dad was declining quickly and interviewed a number of home-care firms. We hit the jackpot and employeed a wonderful Russian lady with some nursing background and an infectious joy for life. Mom got to stay in her home where she was comfortable; that was a promise we made to Dad. Other than the ocassional moments of stress (she kept wondering when Dad would come home "from his trip") she was content until the day she peacefully passed.

Look into this option to see if it is workable for your family.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sorry, to hear this, but isn't uncommon. Going through the same with my father who is 86. Can remember being in the phillipines, age eighteen, and all that is old and familiar but cannot remember what you said five minutes ago oe what he had for lunch.

Time for special help. It's a hard time but it's life here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I moved in to Mom n Pop's place a couple of years ago to help them out.
Since then Mom has been move to a Nursing home as she needed 24hr care. Mom remembers hometown when she was a kid, schoolmates, teachers, etc but doesn't always remember us kids or the grandkids or even being married to Dad.
Always asking "Where do you live?, Can you take me to my house?, How are my Mom,Dad and Grandpa?" All gone for 25+ years.

Get your Dad diagnosed asap and start thinking about a safe place for your Dad to be! Check online for Alz.Org and related for resources, help, suggestions.
It not gonna be easy but sooner is way better than later!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the 5 old ladies I take care of, 2 have both. My Aunt Jane is 89 and is as quiet as could be. She just sits. We get her up to go to the bathroom and to eat, and we put her in bed and help her get up to go to the bathroom a couple times a night. She fell and broke her leg and is in a nursing home trying to recover. I hate the place and the way they are treating her and I'm trying to get her home. I had a couple hours of time with a social worker today. The other is 93 and is a lot worse. You have to watch her. She has gone through a number of changes over the years. Her thing today is eating her napkins. She doesn't know they're not food. She will stare at them, rip them in pieces and arrange them on the table, and stare at them for hours. She also has a thing now where she shovels food in her mouth and doesn't swallow it. You have to watch her, stop her, and make her swallow her food. She won't swallow pills so we give them to her in apple sauce. She will eat it all, and keep scraping at the cup with the spoon like there's still some there until you take it away from her. She gets up every couple hours and you've got to put her back to bed or she will get dressed and sit at the table. All night if you let her. Before this, she did word search puzzles all day long. Before that, she sent checks to everyone who sent her mail and we had to take her check book. She was sending money to ministers, Audubon, PETA... Whoever sent an envelope and a request for a contribution. She also snuck food. She'd take pockets of food to bed. We'd find bread hidden all over her room. No one ages the same, but she's a piece of work. We all pitch in to help, but we're looking for a CNA to help us now, especially since were trying to get my Aunt Jane home. I'm there 7 days a week, most of the time, but it's getting to be too much for me.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, twice. I'll save the details as it's simply another version of an unbelievably cruel story that countless families have, are, or will live through.
I'll just say waiting one more day does zero good and likely signifcant harm. Get him help right now and assume it will get worse faster than you can handle.
Does break my heart to remember though... cry

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My MIL has Alzheimers, Damn scary disease,

MIL came over for one Christmas and everything was ok,

The next Christmas They came over again, and She couldn't find the Bathroom, at all...

She lost all her Mind/Memory in 12 months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.