-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We just got back from a weekend in Port O'Connor. Some friends of my in-laws have a vacation house and a boat and invited us down to do some fishing.

The first day out we fished outside the big jetty and caught 36 Mangrove Snapper, 2 Florida Pompano, one Black Tip Shark, and the crown jewel, a Tarpon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't fished on the coast since I was a teenager, and my wife had never fished down there, so it was a lot of fun for us. I think we're both hooked and looking forward to our next trip.

I didn't realize that the Tarpon was such a trophy, but apparently they're quite the deal on the Texas coast. The boat owner said he'd caught two of them (mine included) in 14 years of fishing on that boat. What's that saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good"? grin

Second day out my wife had the hot hand and landed 10ish Mangrove Snappers to my 2. Lots of fun with good friends and family!

Last edited by clark98ut; 10/24/12.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Man, I love this time of year in POC!!! Made a little run yesterday evening and did some good on the Reds, and found a few Black drum. I'm within an hour of there, makes it nice to go on a whim! Your pictures didn't come up for some reason?

IIRC..the state record Tarpon was caught just down the Intercoastal aways in Copano Bay.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I got the pictures fixed. Had something wrong in the settings on SmugMug.

I wish we lived a little closer where we could go down there more often. We're not that far, but it's a good 4 hour drive. Neat place!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome. I've been fishing and duck hunting out of Port O'Connor since the 80's. I've seen that place grow from a miserable mosquito infested fishing camp to what it is now. It's still pretty damn miserable there at certain times of the year. The duck hunting has always been good. I've fished the bays and offshore down there. Bay fishing is fun when you get into em', especially speckled trout. I've caught king, bonito, ling (a damn good eating fish), snapper, flounder, and reds fishing out of there over the year. And hardheads!
Glad you folks had a good time down there!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oh yeah.....being we live where we live, I don't get enough "mountain time" yearly , but being on a slick bay,little cool crisp air, with the sun coming up is the next best thing I reckon. grin

Good pictures, and nice catches for sure!!

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Awesome. I've been fishing and duck hunting out of Port O'Connor since the 80's. I've seen that place grow from a miserable mosquito infested fishing camp to what it is now. It's still pretty damn miserable there at certain times of the year. The duck hunting has always been good. I've fished the bays and offshore down there. Bay fishing is fun when you get into em', especially speckled trout. I've caught king, bonito, ling (a damn good eating fish), snapper, flounder, and reds fishing out of there over the year. And hardheads!
Glad you folks had a good time down there!

Yes Sir...it isn't what it used to be....the best little kept secret on the Texas coast. I try to limit my time to the 'offseason" or during the week. Lots of places to "hide" and get away from the crowds if you know your way around!! cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to our backyard. Glad you two had a good time. You rolled right past my job or home getting there. It all depends on which way you went. Mosquitoes are hell down here at time though.

Funny thing is, I never fish. Maybe I ought to go before I move away from here. I've only been down here 20 years!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 17 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.