Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#700129 01/07/06
hglass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm new to muzzle loading but not new to shooting. I have been looking at 2 muzzle loaders, "T/C Omega and Knight Disc Extreme". What's the opinion on these rifles. Any suggestions.
It will be used for white tail and if I'm lucky black bear.
Money is not an issue but quality is. Is there any custom makers I can contact?

GB1

B
B
My personal opinion would be the T/C Omega. I have never personly shot either gun. but know people that have owned or currently do own both and they all swear by the Omega. The biggest turn of for them was the discs that you have to use with the knight. They also said the Omega was easier to clean.

Don't know if second hand info is exactly what you were looking for but thought I would pass on what I had heard at least.

BN2Hunt

Born to hunt - Forced to work
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I will second TC! My Encore was a under 1" gun when I had it at 100 yards. Good quality.

Good Shooting!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Can't say I've shot that particular Knight but I've shot previous disc models and can say that I would much rather keep my Omega. Easy to clean, I like my plastic stock OK, good trigger for factory. Overall a good muzzleloader.

If you're looking to spend money try one of the Ultimate Firearms models. Built on Howa actions I think. I can't say I believe the hype of burning 250gr of pyrodex myself but if you have $1500+ that you're mad at it'd be a good expensive learning experience. My curiosity is piqued, just not $1500 worth.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Omega.

See the "Omega vs. Savage" thread.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a Savage and have been amazingly pleased with it. It's incredibly accurate and extremely powerful. The only issue I have with it is weight. I would have opted for the synthetic stock over the laminated and saved a pound. Or, since money is not an issue for you, I would order a NULA ML at 5 or so pounds and still be able to shoot smokeless in it.

Smokeless never made me feel weird during MZ season. It loads from the muzzle and my powder choice is much more traditional than all the really modern BP substitutes like Pyrodex, Tripple 7 and all the rest. What smokeless does do is give me more powder choices to tune the gun, eliminates the smell and smoke cloud after the shot, gives me more power for longer range shots if needed, is much cheaper per shot, can use the powder with other weapons. That's just off the top of my head. And if I am going to a state that does not allow smokeless, I can still use any of the other choices. My Savage is the best of all worlds for me.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i see just as many happy hunters and deer killed with the cheaper ml's as the expensive ones. i have cva hunterbolt that i've killed maybe 20 deer with. (5 this season) it shoots 1-1 1/2 in grps at 100yds. i really don't see what you gain in a ml by spending 400-500.00 . i have out shot lots of knights .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Omega was the first in-line I've owned and I've been very happy with it. The 777 pellets have elimnated the sulfur stink and corrosion issue and it's three shot = one hole at 100 yards accurate with the 250 grain shockwaves. I suspect I'll never completely give up the flintlock but when the weather is crappy and I need one more deer for the freezer before the season ends it's the Omega I grab. Mines synthetic and stainless and it's a pretty nice combo.

Allen

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
H
most I was ever told is to not load over 150 grains
opyrodex black powder or any of the back powder replica
powder in any muzzle loader rifle

D
D
OMEGA...I have a camo/ss model and it is "extremely" accurate and deadly with XTP 240 and 300 gr. sabots. with 100 gr. 777......very easy to clean, and fun to shoot!

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on where you hunt before you can decide what to buy. My recommendation is to make sure of the regs where you hunt and then buy and use the rifle, sights, powder, primer and bullets that give you the best ballistics. Savage if you can with a scope. I'm in WA and a simple knight wolverine or t/c black diamond without 209's is all that is legal. Blackpowder rifles and seasons are great. Have a great time.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In responce to srwshooter.
I feel the same way, Georgia M/L season is one week long, thats all the M/L that I do.
I bought a CVA buckhorn and my nephew bought a Tradition
We killed three deer this year, one was a very nice 6pt.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
hglass,
I just went thru that same scenario. I (my dad) decided on the Omega. I know little about about ML but the Omega is solid. We just took it to the range and its shooting 1.25" 3 shot groups at 100yards with a scope. And I dont know if I would want too light of a ML. Remember, these guns arent know for long range and if an animal presented itself at 200 yards, I would need all the help I could get including some weight to balance the rifle. With a scope its at 7.5 lbs. Not so bad.
mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard great things about the omega, I have never shot one. I have had a Knight MK-85, thee and I do mean thee most accurate muzzleloader I have ever seen, 3/4" groups normal, I still have those groups. I sold it, because back then, the early days of inlines, the laws were different, and iron sights were the norm, with few states allowing scopes in the muzzleloading seasons. I put a scope on it, and it just did not fit me well, I found myself searching in the scope all the time. I sold it, dumb move. I bought a Remington 700ML, and it was accurate, but a pain to clean. I had an Encore, but a Knight disc extreme, became available, and I bought it. I love the way it feels, and points, but have not really worked any loads out with it yet. I can tell you this. Knight is the ONLY company that guarantee's accuracy. That is a fact. T/C, says they stand behind their products, but does not guarantee accuracy, because of all of the variables involved. The others were not an option for me, because I try to buy American when I can. I'm not saying CVA, traditions and the others are no good, I just buy American when I can, and wish others would do the same. I'd rather keep our people employed. Don

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,400
Posts18,506,951
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.