Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Or, should I skeletonize a laminated stock and cut the forearm down to make my own?

I want something very light, but functional

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered an Edge-fill M7KS handle in ADL configuration, inlet for a 660 action and standard 700 sporter channel, with a 1" decelerator. It's 24oz. I could have probably saved another 2oz with a 1/2" pad. 20oz might be possible with a flip-flop pad.

Now with even more aplomb
I
I
Lone Wolf in Columbia Falls, Montana likley under a pound easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lone Wolf got snapped up in the Gogan/Proof Manufacturing thing. I'd wait on that a bit until they're up and running.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Their price on a stock for my Ruger went up from about $700.00 to $1500.00 since the change in ownership

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
David,

I'd look at MPI

Ed T

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by timat46
Their price on a stock for my Ruger went up from about $700.00 to $1500.00 since the change in ownership
Another company that doesn't want to sell product.I wouldn't spend $700 on one of their stocks let alone whatever the hell they want now. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it's personal.... I'll not get into it because his legal department is bigger than the crew of hillbillies I run.

BUT, just as far as Proof Manufacturing goes, so far he's bought up
KK Jense Precision
Lone Wolf
Defiance Machine
Lawrence Rifle Barrel
and he's hired up about the only 3 gunsmiths that were worth a [bleep] in the Flathead.
Oh, and the production foreman is a legendary millwright of Plum Creek fame
NEMO was in the works for a while (don't know what happened there)
I know I'm forgetting a few.
A couple of the companies he's bought had contracts with other manufacturers that sold their products as their own. You'll be suprised at who they were once they get cut off. I'm betting it'll go public, and you'll read about it in gun rags in another year or so once they're all the way off the ground.

In the end... Is it what's best for the industry? Will they be the next NULA, or GAP, etc? Time will tell, and they certainly have the financial backing. I don't think the market will bear a maker selling $5000 guns based on a 700 action with an accuracy guarantee.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
check out a High Tech Specialties stock if you're handy they're a deal.
[Linked Image]
Weighs 1.5#s with a 0.6" pachmayr declerator, paint, and bedding.

My only only gripe is the forearm is ~0.4" wider than the factory synthetic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DanAdair
For me it's personal.... I'll not get into it because his legal department is bigger than the crew of hillbillies I run.

BUT, just as far as Proof Manufacturing goes, so far he's bought up
KK Jense Precision
Lone Wolf
Defiance Machine
Lawrence Rifle Barrel
and he's hired up about the only 3 gunsmiths that were worth a [bleep] in the Flathead.
Oh, and the production foreman is a legendary millwright of Plum Creek fame
NEMO was in the works for a while (don't know what happened there)
I know I'm forgetting a few.
A couple of the companies he's bought had contracts with other manufacturers that sold their products as their own. You'll be suprised at who they were once they get cut off. I'm betting it'll go public, and you'll read about it in gun rags in another year or so once they're all the way off the ground.

In the end... Is it what's best for the industry? Will they be the next NULA, or GAP, etc? Time will tell, and they certainly have the financial backing. I don't think the market will bear a maker selling $5000 guns based on a 700 action with an accuracy guarantee.
I agree,that's been tried in the past and failed before.I deal with a couple of gunsmiths that I trust as do most of us I figure.These accuracy conglomerates don't seem to be successful,and there are more than a few around using mega advertising and legendary long range shooters to prove their point that their products will allow you to become a legendary long range shooter as well,maybe even be on TV.There seems to be enough people buying in to this BS to keep some of them working,but all of them?Time will tell.I could care less it's not for me. Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 10/25/12.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That, about sez it all, I have 23 synthetic-stocked, highend rifles at present and I just laughed when I spoke with the "new guy" at Lone Wolf, some time back.

A carefully installed-prepped Micky Edge will run about 24 oz.s all up and that will allow for a light rifle. I handled a VERY light Mod. 7, with one of the 13-15 oz. Lone Wolf handles a couple of years ago and didn't care for it. My Edge-stocked, Martini-modded Classic short Mod. 70, .308 is 6-10 scoped and that is just PERFECT in .308Winny.

I would go Edge, MPI, then look at Canada's Wildcat Composite stocks, I have Bansners, good handles, fine folks, but, the wrists are a tad larger than I prefer. JMHO.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lone Wolf Summit is the lightest stock I know of.

This is a SS M-7 with Lone Wolf Summit. It is a .22-204 with 7.5 twist #2 Brux and now wears an older Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32 in Talley LW rings.

I went on line, looking for Lone Wolf stocks and found Proof Research. They said this new company merged three companies, Lone Wolf Rifle Stocks, a carbon fiber barrel company and Jense Firearms, into Proof Research. The facility looks nice, like some big bucks went into putting it together.

So, I don't know if Lone Wolf stocks like this are still available. I get the feeling Proof Research is all about building high end custom, light weight rifles.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
With the transition at Lone Wolf, like I said, I'd look into MPI. Doc will pretty much build you what you want.

Ed T

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This Lone Wolf is less than a pound. It's kinda weird looking. With the 4200 Elite in the photo, the gun would turn upside down on the bench when I took my hands off. And the 4200 isn't that heavy. The Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32 is much more compact and lighter. It's not so bad.

The replacement Brux is slightly heavier than the factory tube. I did that on purpose to give it a bit more forward weight. It feels better and handles better than it did originally. It was just too whippy with that pencil thin factory barrel.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/25/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the lone wolf on my 7wsm, with a 3.5-10 vx3 loaded its a hair under 7lbs. in a mod 700 with a 24" pipe and a vias break, no skelentized bolt

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Lone Wolf is also around $1500 now.

Ed T

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow. To me it's not worth near that.

I traded for the one I showed. It came with the Lone Wolf stock and a Jewell trigger. They had it priced for about what a model 7 would cost.

So, I guess I got a good deal, especially if Lone Wolf stocks are that valuable... blush

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The same stock(Lone Wolf) was $700 and now goes for $1400?I'd go Edge all the way and not look back. Monashee

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
David Walter;
As my fellow Canuck 'fire member kutenay mentioned, there is a Canadian stock maker that I've worked with on two rifles now that I was very satisfied with.

Here's a link to the company - Wildcat Composites - out of Edmonton or close to there anyway.

http://wildcatcomposites.com/remington.html

Now there are a couple things to note about Stuart's stocks and one is that they aren't finished per se, but I would say that his "unfinished" blanks had less holes in it than a supposedly finished stock from another maker I worked on.

The other thing is that he doesn't offer a bunch of styles, typically one mould for each type of action that he makes a stock for - so if you don't like the one he offers well then I'm not sure what the options might be.

They are quite light though and the front section from the action forward is extremely stiff - due to his carbon fiber I beam I'd believe.

Here's a photo of a blank from one of the rifles I built - it appears to be the 98 Mauser blank. Please note this weight does include the moulded in bases for the sling swivels but does not include either the recoil pad, sling swivels installed or epoxy bedding as yet.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, hopefully that was some use to you sir. Good luck on your rifle build whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

PS:
I tried for a couple hours to drill and mill out a Remington ADL laminated stock into some semblance of a lightweight. Although I ended up knocking off about 8-10oz, it still wasn't anybody's idea of a light stock.

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/25/12.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hey, Dwayne, can you post pix of the butt of that blank, I am interested in what type of comb he offers and if one must have a cheekpiece.

I am probably going to do a few more customs on Brno actions with sts. tubes and synthetic handles and would use Stuart's blanks if the design works for me.

The Lone Wolf I handled was the same as above, I did not care for it, as I posted and I would NEVER pay the current asking price for whatever they offer now.

Doc, from MPI called me a week or so ago and I am quite interested in his blanks, I like the design and may even go with a blank bottom and one/two of his "Mountain Rifle"models to cut weight for a pair of "geezer guns" in .280Rem. Lots of options now, not like when I built my first "plastic" gun in 1985.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,369
Posts18,506,535
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.